Help with Next Pistol to buy

I've got a sig 229 .40 cal I stumbled onto because a friend got broke, was gonna sell it kinda cheap, so we figured he may as well sell it to me cheap :).

I do not have a huge affinity for pistols so would never consider spending $1000 on one but unfortunately it set the standard for me which all other handguns are now judged. The thing is perfect - couldn't imagine much better. Also takes a 15 round mag (of .40 I bet 9 mil would be even more capacity) that does not screw up the way it handles at all...

After owning it all the sudden my cheepie 9 mil that I had as something I could carry without taking good care of it became unreliable garbage and now I can't accept anything of lower quality. Ruined me. :)

Now I will say this size is absolutely NFG for concealed carry, at least not for me, but if that's not what you want then doesn't matter.

All great suggestions, I do like the idea of getting a DA/SA pistol and would kind of switch things up from what I currently own. SIGS are great but yeah 1k for a handgun is pretty pricey haha.

I really enjoy my Beretta 92fs

I've had a Beretta 92fs for several years now. it's an HD gun and great range gun. It's a touch big to carry but I know people carry them and bigger. Double stack magazine that comes in 15 round standard but I also have an 18 round mag that is no bigger than the 15 and one 30 round that, of course, sticks out a good bit. It's very reliable, easy to field strip and shoots anything I put in it. You should be able to find one new for around $600.

Life is good.
Prof Young

I love my Beretta PX4 in 9mm. Don't know why it isn't more popular. Soft shooting, very accurate, and fits my hand well.

Am not pushing the sig - I agree they are pricey, but another thing I thought of that I was amazed about was the first time I unloaded a clip of .40 it felt like I was shooting .22. I bet 9 mill is even smoother.

If you want something mid-to-full size that is fun to shoot and can still be carried, consider the P99 or PPQ from Walther. Both are striker-fired but the P99AS lets you carry in traditional double action (DA/SA) with a decocker. The P99 and classic version PPQ have what could be called low-profile controls, including a paddle-style mag release that rides inside a lot of holsters for added protection. Both are good shooters that can fill a wide variety of roles.

The PX4 is an even more comfortable shooter and a great DA/SA choice but it is a little bigger.

FNS 9 or 40 Compact. FNS 9, 40, 45 or FNX 9, 40, 45 full size.

I have the FNS 40 and the FNX in 40 and 45. For some reason I shoot these much more accurately than any other handguns that I have. If FNH ever does an FNS 45 Compact I will get one. Also wish they would do a sub compact pocket gun in either 9 or 40 or 45.

You really cannot take others' advice on this sort of thing. Find a gun you like that you can afford, research it a bit on quality and resale value, and buy it.

My gun desires have changed radically over the years....some I have sold off, some I sold and missed.

It's something you have to explore for yourself, we cannot help you on such a vague topic.

And these days, $700.00 isn't going to buy you very much in the 1911 area, that much is for sure. You can forget most Browning Hi Powers also.

Back