Help with Next Pistol to buy

jman30

Inactive
I currently own a ruger lcp and a glock 26. Both of these guns are good for ccw and my next purchase I want a mid to full size pistol. With all the choices out there it is difficult to choose. I would like to stick with 9mm but am open to suggestions. Glock, sig, 1911s, etc all come to mind. $700 and under is my budget im going for. What should I look into next?

Thank you!

Do you want something like you already have or something different? Is weight a consideration? Will you ever carry this gun or is it strictly for range use or HD?

If you won't be carrying it, I'd recommend a CZ-75. They are great shooting pistols and have the lowest recoil of any 9mm pistol I have shot. They are quite heavy. They hold 16+1. Mags are cheap and easy to find.

Full size variants include the SP-01, CZ-75B, and the SP-01 Phantom(poly frame).

Mid size variants are P01(aluminum frame), P07(Poly frame), PCR(basically a P01 without a rail), and the CZ-75 compact (steel frame, 13 rounds).

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't mind something different. I do want something more for range use, but maybe could carry on occasion. I've never looked into cz's but they seem pretty nice and affordable.

CZ's and their clones (I have several nice Tanfoglio clones) are my favorites. I bought a nice 3rd generation S&W Model 915 surplus recently for $245; they are smallish for a service pistol and might suit the OP's needs. There are a lot of nice police turn-in 40 caliber Glocks available these days for under $300. There are probably a few of the surplus Star BM's still available - it is similar to a smaller 9mm 1911 - for under $300. A few of those Italian police Berettas are still out there, though around $300 now (used to be closer to $200).

I'd go for a full size metal framed gun, something that's purely a joy to shoot. CZ75, Beretta 92, SIG 226, and a Hi Power would all be at the top of my list. Maybe a 9mm 1911 as well.

$700 mid to full size is a pretty wide open market, good place to be!

Personally, I would go with full size, more fun at the range. Get something with a rail so it can have a light, in my mind an essential for home defense.

Cheaper? A Canik TP9DA, $330, and some ammo.
A little more? All Steel? I'd try out a CZ75 as many have recommended. Or an Arex Zero 1.
A personal favorite is the XDm series from Springfield Armory, I don't know many people that don't shoot them well!

All great ideas guys, going all steel sounds like a nice break from the polymer world since both my pistols are. So many good suggestions kepo them coming , thank you guys!

A few to look at for a start, but the list could be much longer.
Glock 17, or 19
CZ 75 or clone.
Beretta 92fs
Sig P320
Springfield XDm

A used Sig P226 may be a nice option. If you can find one, the Browning Hi Power is THE 9mm of 9mm pistols.
CZ 75's and 1911's are also quite nice.

A lot of people buy a carry gun and it quickly becomes a truck gun. That's why I like the LCP and the Smith Bodyguard. Many a person thought they were going to carry a Glock daily.........

Two words: Red Dot

You already have a couple of 9mm's and want a more full size 9mm
Have you also given a thought to Red Dot Optics that Co-Witness with the Iron sights.
Red Dot's are highly recommended and get great reviews.
Just do a youtube search.

If you want something that is a great shooter and something that you "Don't Have"..
Why not look at a Sig Sauer P320 RX (compact or full size)

I have a P320 Compact RX...It was $750.00.
I know that it's just outside of your $700.00 budget but with a Sig Sauer Romeo 1 Red Dot that co-witnesses with Sig's Night Sights setup and direct from Sig Sauer.
I think that it's well worth the extra money!

Without the Red Dot a P320 would be below your budget but I say try something new.
P320 Compact and Full Size:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLs-qZMyL70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_RUpjIyCeg

As seen in the 2nd video..
I changed out the "Medium Black Grip" assy. that came with my P320 and put the modular "Trigger Assy" into a "Small Flat Dark Earth" (FDE) Grip assy.

Walther PPS M2 RMSC
This is new for 2018 and ships with a Shield Red Dot
Shipping this month..MSRP $699.00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Y0-G0lquM

The Glock 19 MOS (modular Optic System)
Unlike the two above the G19 MOS does not come with a Red Dot.
The slide is cut out and included are different mounting plates.
What I liked about Sig's P320 RX is that their Romeo 1 Red Dot was already on the gun along with Co-witnessing Night Sights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPLnwNZFMRY

Whether you take the Red Dot Optics or not all of the above guns are good shooters.
Well at least the P320 & G19, I am not familiar with the Walther.

Mackie244 / Bud

Last edited:
I'm shocked only a few have said 1911 so far. CZ is a great option too.

Could also look at some DA/SA options. FNX and Beretta PX4 are both awesome guns.

DA/SA steel guns? Could probably find some used SW options. I have a 659 and that thing is a tank. A lot of fun to shoot.

My favorite gun to shoot by far is my RIA 1911 full size "Rock" in 9mm. It was known as a Tac 1 when I got it a couple of years ago. It is accurate, no malfunctions of any kind and was just under $500 delivered. I would buy it again without hesitation.

Back