Help with managing recoil for a mosin?

I have a mosin short barrel.
The $14 dollar rubber butt pad helps. I drilled out the holes so that it can absorb more of the kick. It also increased the length of pull.
The biggest help is not shooting my Mosin while seated on the bench. I only shoot it standing (of course there were the necessary shots for sighting in).
If you shoot on the bench, try not to lean forward too much - keep body more upright. You will get all the kick if you lean forward. With a more upright posture, your body will give some so felt recoil is not as painful.
May not be the best position but it less painful on the shoulder.

The various Mosins do have a stout recoil, but I simply don't find them to be punishing. I do however find the M39 to be the most comfortable. The Finns did a much better job regarding stock design.

I don't find the Mosin recoil that objectionable, no more then any other military style rifle.

However it does get to some people. But not all. Why is that?

I think its positions, how you are shooting the rifle.

I've ran across the same problems with the 1903s, M1 & M14s, shooters having problems with the recoil.

When you are running a military rifle team, you can't change the rifle. I've had several women, who were light in frame and had difficulty with the recoil of the service rifle. It just takes time to work with their positions where the recoil is directed and controlled.

I would recommend if one wanted to shoot the Mosin (or any similar type military rifle) attend a CMP GSM Clinic. The instructor will work with you to the point that the recoil not only doesn't bother you, but you use it to help you in your rapid fire stages.

I think its affects different people ...well ...different...the mosin is not the worst i have.. my .303 hurts a little.

however i dont think that i have fired full power ammo in the mosin yet, I have only used Herters. My opinion might change once I get good ammo.

The Mosin isn't some magical beast that has an unbearable recoil...
You are shooting a cartridge that is inbetween the .308 Winchester and the 30-06 Springfield cartridge in power. That's all. :rolleyes:
However... if you shoot one of those cartridges in a relatively light rifle, like the M44's, etc, and put a clublike stock with a square-edged 2X4 shaped butt stock on it, you will "feel the pain" as ol Slick used to say. :eek:
Reshape the butt to a more oval shape, put a decent recoil pad on it, and you'll enjoy it quite a bit more. Or, if you are cheap, like me, find one of the "made for Mosin" aftermarket recoil pads that everyone is selling on Ebay for about 12 bucks and bolt it in place of your metal butt plate. I'm going to order one probably next week.
Has anyone put one of the aftermarket MonteCarlo style synthetic stocks on theirs? I would imagine the recoil is much more manageable with that.
Let's hear from you that have done that... enquiring minds, and all that...

Anything with a steel buttplate will give you a good zing with a medium to high powered cartridge. The old Mausers in 8mm, the old springfield in 30-06. Even the springfield trapdoor is a bit rough.

You can get a recoil pad made for your mosin for about $15 and it works quite well. I have one on an M44, and on a 91/30.

Shoot ammo with a lighter bullet weight. 148 grain light ball will have less felt recoil than 174 or 203 grain bullets.

I've got a wrap buttpad like that Galco on my M44 and shoot the light ball (147) and use the "chicken wing" hold. It gives a shove, but no pain. I was shooting one time with a friend that was Soviet trained. He laid down and shot sniper style with it. When I tried, it nearly tore my shoulder off with the stock planted on the top of my shoulder. I will never do that again. I also agree with bringing along a nice .22 rifle and alternate. When I go to the range with my Soviet friend, we go back and forth with the M44 and Marlin 60. It really teaches you to not flinch.

That's what I've got on mine, a Pachmayr. It doesn't have the name carved in the leather like the Galco. Real nice fit and I think it'll last forever, too.

Back