Help with choosing a new lever gun

Wasn't a 45-70 but my Marlin .44 mag. couldn't find a 30" square target from bench rest at 25 yards.
It was an older one, the newer Remlins might be better. If you buy a Marlin do so only if you have return rights.
Personally, I would buy anything but a Marlin.

No complaints about my 1895GBL Remlin in either function or accuracy. It's really a fantastic little rifle. While I don't have a longer barreled .45-70 to compare it to, it's hard to imagine that there is going to be any significant mechanical accuracy gain from going longer.

I have not owned a Rio Grande, but my experience with other Rossi/Taurus made lever guns (M92s) has been nothing but positive. Based on that experience, I'd expect the Rio Grande to be a decent rifle.

The LEVERevolution round is a hotter one, chronographed at a five-shot average of 2041 FPS out of a 30-inch Sharps last week.
Denis

I own a Win 1886EL and love it. However, for just purely function and hunting, I'd suggest getting the Marlin (even the new ones, they're making them pretty good now). Why? You can buy 2.5 Marlins for the cost of the Win. I got the Win simply because I liked the design and wanted to get some "aftermarket" work done on it by Turnbull. The Marlin is every bit as strong and accurate. Put the money you save into a good Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 and you're still money ahead and have a GREAT hunting gun. I wouldn't even consider the Rossi simply due to customer service and parts issues.I know a lot of people who have them and most work fine. It's the ones that don't that become a problem. No problem with service from Remington. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I own a Win 1886EL and love it.

Same here. And it's my opinion that the 1886 Winchester (aka Miroku) is worth two and a half Marlins-which isn't to say that Marlins are anything but fine firearms.

I have an early model Marlin 336 (1948). Beautiful gun, with butter smooth action. I want a 45/70, and ruled out Marlin due to poor quality. The Henry, looks and feels great. Just need $664 plus tax to bring one home. American made also.

I also have an 1886, although mine is one of the earlier Browning saddle ring carbines made before the extra safeties became the standard. It is a superbly built rifle that is quite accurate with the leverevolution ammo and has an action that locks up tighter than a bank vault. If you get a chance to look at an 1886 action, don't pass on it...like the smaller model '92, the design of the '86 is simply amazing IMHO.
1886action_zpsf1aa0840.jpg

Beautiful rifle az_imuth!

Get either a used pre Remington Marlin or a new Henry.

I love the Marlin Guide Guns, have one in .450 and it is my 2nd favorite rifle.

I have been lusting for an 1886 Winchester (aka Miroku) for some time now. I have a .357 Mdl. 92 (Miroku) that is beautiful and fun to shoot and I am sure the 45/70 would be perfect.

Having said that, have you considered another choice that is sort of a lever action, a Ruger #1 or if you really want to go old school, how about a Sharps?

I bought my Guide Gun the first year it came out with the ported barrel. Very accurate, it has never seen factory ammo and this year I started casting my own bullets for it. Handy as all get out in the woods on a deer hunt. I recommend buying an older one if you go that route.

Sierra280 said:
a local pawn shop I stopped at last week had about a dozen 94 winchesters, I almost bought one, 1894 30wcf (serial put it at 1939 production) had a side mount, period correct weaver scope (looked like it was installed when the gun was new).
Decent condition but I just wasn't sure.
Could have got it for $400.

IMHO you made a serious error by passing.

IIRC, the only Weaver scope made B4 WWII was the 330 - other Weaver's came later, the J-series in the late 40's & the K-series in the mid-50's, about when commercial side mounts also started being available.

Rossi Rio Grande 45-70

Get the Rossi. I couldnt be happier with mine. Smooth, light and accurate. Every Remlin i picked up had canted sights. I couldnt believe that such a once great quality product looked so poor. I love my old 336 too!

Marlin's QC had a sharp decline when it was bought by Remington, and another sharp decline when the manufacturing went to Remington's location in New York.
However, QC has improved over time and I'd have to say that the new Marlins are better than they have been in the last 10, maybe 15 years. But you have to make sure that it was a very recent made Marlin.
It will be stamped Ilion NY.
Ask your Dealer to look at a few examples and look for the latest serial numbers and examine the individual rifles. Biggest thing to look for is how the stock is fit, and feel the action.

I bought a new 1895 GBL a couple of weeks ago. Well worth the $625 I paid for it. No issues at all. The action was a bit stiff, so I polished the wear points. I love this rifle, quick pointing. I added a Montana sling and a Limbsaver slip-on. I removed the front sight hood, seems to mess with my old eye a bit. Ready for my next trip to the range. So far I'm not planning on a scope, but with my old eyes I won't rule it out.

Back