Help with a Stoeger Condor O/U 12GA

testdepth

Inactive
Only constructive here's how to fix it please.

I bought this inexpensive shotgun for my 14yr old to start on. I have no interest in sinking anything more than $500 into a shotgun unless she sticks with it.

Three problems:
1. While shooting this gun and opening to reload, the gun has fallen apart in to its three pieces of forearm, barrel and receiver. No buttons pushed at all. I initially thought it was something my daughter did until it happened to me. I shot and opened the gun. The fore arm came off in my hand while the barrel fell off the receiver on to the grass. I was left holding the receiver and forearm. I re-assembled the gun and slapped the forearm hard. My daughter shot the gun and it happened again. Literally fell apart in her hands with the barrel hitting the grass.

2. The gun will not reset the trigger to fire the top barrel. While empty I can pull the trigger and hear the hammer fall on the bottom barrel and if I slap the rear of the butt I can then pull the trigger and hear the hammer fall on the top barrel. Obviously this is not how it is designed. With both barrels loaded the recoil will not reset the trigger to fire the top barrel using Federal 12ga Target Load 2 3/4, 1 1/8oz #8 shot. The recoil should reset the trigger to fire the top barrel. How do you fix this?

3. The manual safety is so stiff you almost need to stand on it to switch from safe to fire. This is the hardest safety I have seen yet and I own several guns. One of the range instructors also remarked how hard the safety on this gun is to operate. How do you fix this?

If I can resolve these problems I think she will have an excellent first gun.

You resolve this by using a gunsmith, or if it is under warranty, with a call to Stoeger to be fix or replaced.

I feel badly for you since you spent a lot of money for what should have been a decent gun for your little girl, but this is a prime example of why many warn people to stay away from certain guns, specifically Stoegers. Actually, yours is the worst of which I have heard. I have no doubt that FITASC would tell you what to do, if this was an EZ fix or not too difficult one. It sounds like your gun could be a nightmare. Return it and/or demand it be fixed.

The gun will not reset the trigger to fire the top barrel. While empty I can pull the trigger and hear the hammer fall on the bottom barrel and if I slap the rear of the butt I can then pull the trigger and hear the hammer fall on the top barrel. Obviously this is not how it is designed

IF the Stoeger triggers are inertia, that is EXACTLY how they are designed to work - the recoil from the first shot sets the trigger for the second barrel.

I have no interest in sinking anything more than $500 into a shotgun unless she sticks with it.

Perfectly understandable; however with that budget amount, O/Us in that range are not going to be close to decent, let alone top, quality. In that dollar amount, a nice used semi from several good makers would be a better choice. That said, you need to get this fixed no matter what your next move is (sell or keep), so as I said, if it is under warranty still, call Stoeger and have them ship you a prepaid shipping label to send it back for repair. Make sure to include a letter describing the issues and who you talked to. If it is not under warranty, find a good local gunsmith ( not a Glock parts changer) and have it fixed.
Many of us have gone through this in the past before Al's internet allowed us to get instant opinions, and we learned about various guns like this the hard way. Sorry for your daughter's disappointment, hopefully it will get resolved soon.

The OP's post indicates that he understands that recoil from the first shot is supposed to set the trigger to be ready to fire the other barrel, but one of its problems is that firing a standard 1-1/8 target load will not rest his Condor's trigger, while slapping on the but will. To me, "It's a puzzlement".

The part about the extremely stiff safety and the barrel and forarm falling off the gun upon opening the breech suggests to me that something is messed up inside the receiver, but I don't know what. This video gives you an idea of how the safety and inertia interact to select the barrel to fire, but to me it doesn't really explain your Condor's problems and I suggest that you do NOT try to fix it yourself, if it is under warranty.

Call Stoeger.

I ran into a guy hunting last year who had the same problem. Said Stoeger fixed it but occasionally he would still have to slap the stock to reset the trigger.

Funny enough he bought this shotgun knowing it had a problem but I think he said he paid $150 used like new because the original owner didn't want to deal with it anymore.

I have a friend who has one and he loves it for a few times a year pheasant gun.

This gun was purchased second hand as my daughter's first shotgun ever. She intends to compete in trap and skeet (we all know how the mind of a child will suddenly shift) so I did not want to sink over $500 into an O/U that she would lose interest in. This is her starter gun and if she sticks with it then I will buy her a better quality gun. Until I find out if she will stick with it I need to fix this one.

This gun was bought second hand so no warranty I believe.

I live in a geographical anomaly with no gunsmiths local and there might be some within 40 or 50 miles.

Thanks for the replies.

No gunsmith in the area...and no warranty....ok...

Before you spend any more time on the Stoeger...talk to some of the shooters at your local club..where you're daughter is going to compete. Chances are there will be a number of guys out there...that might help you take it apart / take a look at it / make recommendations ( you can't see what's wrong with it over the internet - you need someone with a reasonable amount of knowledge to look at it ).

There also might be a number of guys at that club...that will loan your daughter a gun to compete with for the season...many shooters have dozens of older and rarely fired, but serviceable guns, in their safe - they use just for training kids or young shooters....or maybe you could buy one from them for a few hundred bucks.

Spending another $ 150 on a decent used semi-auto ...might be way smarter than spending money on the Stoeger ....and my hunch is, you'll find a bunch of options at the local club ...especially if there are really Trap and Skeet shooters around.

My hunch is - you got burned on a low end used shotgun / that someone else had trouble with too...that's why they sold it. Maybe its fixable ...maybe its just a parts gun...no way to know without looking at it first hand - but Stoegers do not have a solid reputation on the clay target fields...yet some of them hold up for several thousand shells...but long term, its not a gun you want to put much money into, in my view.

We say often on here....the cost of the gun is the least expensive thing in shooting clays ...with shells at about $6 a box ..and targets around $6 per 25 ....$ 12 per round...and 6 or 8 rounds a week ( that's close to $100 a week ...or an easy $5,000 a year )....

That's also why most of us say....buy a better used gun...and if she doesn't like the sport ...then sell it for what you paid for it ...and get your money out of it ( used semi-auto ....Remington, Beretta / used O/U Beretta or Browning ) might even appreciate a little in a year.../ even a new Stoeger, will not appreciate ..

Good luck with this ...and to her ..as well.

Last edited:
Saw this and it relates to your problem.

http://youtu.be/2pew3n9-Sw4

I also read a thread somewhere and the guy said Stoeger said the gun had to much lube on it. He wiped the lube off and then another person said not enough lube. But he followed with after firing 200 rounds it didn't have that problem anymore.

This is one of the comments made to the video to which Blindstitch posted a link.

Two things: if that is a Stoeger, it's a STF 3000 which you can only buy at a Dick's Sporting goods store. Second, the gun wasn't put together forearm wasn't locked. This happens if you out the forearm on before the barrel. Barrel goes first, then the forearm will lock properly. I own a Condor Supreme and it's basically the same gun except for the receiver and finish

I have no idea if this is true, but it may be worth trying. It isn't cleat that the gun in that video is a Condor.

The forearm problem seems to have been with Condors for a while. This may help you if you are good with your hands. If not to fix the forearm issue, but to understand what is going on.

Last edited:
I shoot a Condor Competition for trap. Like you, I just couldn't afford spend in more but wanted to shoot. I experienced the forearm falling off problem just last Sunday. Of course, mine has been through about 10K rounds. And when new I did have some problem with light strikes on the primers.
First, as to the forearm:
The forearm is held to the latch/hinge assembly by a small machine screw (from the inside) near the latch and attaches to a threaded brass insert that you can see form the outside.. If this screw gets loose, it may fall out or break (like mine did). When this happens, all the cocking force is applied to 2 wood screws that attach the metal assembly to the wood @ the rear of the forearm. These will quickly pullout and the whole assemble falls apart. Check for the small machine screw near the latch and the 2 wood screws at the rear.

I had ignition problems when new. Traced the problem to the stock not being inleted properly causing the firing pins to drag on the wood, especially the top barrel. Check for interference between the inside of the stock and the lockwork. Use a file, rasp or drill to open things up and it may work properly.

If you have questions, send me a Personal Message and we can exchange phone numbers/e-mail addresses and work through this. I also have an exploded view of the gun for reference.

We say often on here....the cost of the gun is the least expensive thing in shooting clays ...with shells at about $6 a box ..and targets around $6 per 25 ....$ 12 per round...and 6 or 8 rounds a week ( that's close to $100 a week ...or an easy $5,000 a year )....

That's also why most of us say....buy a better used gun...and if she doesn't like the sport ...then sell it for what you paid for it ...and get your money out of it ( used semi-auto ....Remington, Beretta / used O/U Beretta or Browning ) might even appreciate a little in a year.../ even a new Stoeger, will not appreciate ..

Very true and why the "buy once, cry once" came about. The gun is the least cost in shooting sports, even the high end ones.

Give Stoeger a call.

Plan on sending it in. You will get a qualified gunsmith to go over the complete operation of your gun.

The time frame won't be quick. Plan on a month to a month and a half.

When it comes back it will work.

I sold many Stoegers for a 10 year period. Yes some went back to get fixed, but when they came back to our guests they worked very well.

Stoeger customer service is top notch so far!

I called Stoeger (Benelli) and told them the three problems I have been having with this gun. The guy didn't argue and told me that the gun is only warranted to the original buyer but because of the problems I am having with this gun they will repair it under warranty. The only cost to me will be to ship it to them. They will cover the cost to repair and ship it back.

Stoeger gets a huge thumbs up for standing behind their gun!!!

And that's why you should always call customer service.

I hope it comes back fixed and good to go for many years. You will have to report back after it's fixed.

My Stoeger back from Benelli and fully repaired

I received my shotgun back and fully repaired as promised. Stoeger/Benelli stood behind their shotgun even though I was not the original owner they still repaired my OU under warranty. Their customer service was excellent and all of my emails were quickly replied to within 24hrs. They returned my gun in the same wrapping as when buying a new one and included a choke wrench for free. I only paid the $25 to ship it to them and they repaired my gun at no cost and covered the shipping back to me.

I will buy more guns from them. Save money and great customer service from a company that stands behind their guns that won't break your bank. What more could you ask for?

Back