Help talk me into or out of a Marlin 30-30

I had a Marlin 30-30 when I was younger but sold it to buy an AR15 that I sold to buy an M1 Garand that I sold to help fund a truck, anyhoo I'm thinking about buying another Marlin 30-30 (JM stamped) for $325, I'll use it for hog hunting, but I'm having trouble deciding if I really need it. I've been bit by the flintlock bug and have built a few that I've been using for hunting.

Just need help justifying the purchase, other then the frontstuffers this will be my only rifle

1894 or 336?

30-30 is cheap for ammo at about $14-16 a box and can be reloaded for a lot cheaper. I'm not sure about its long range capabilities but I have a few and they do the job. I've probably shot the most deer with a 30-30 but now use it as my back up since I went to 30-06.

Of all the guns my dad has he still uses his Marlin 336 in 30-30 every year. And every year but one he has been successful.

I'm looking for a 336, I thought about customizing it and making it a scout carbine, but I'm not sure that I want to molest (for a lack of better words) a JM marlin

Out of all the rifles I've bought and sold that Marlin was the only one I miss

I have a 1978 vintage one that is very accurate. I recommend an older one, they seem to be better built.

I am a big fan of my 1968 336. She is smooth cycling, pretty accurate and I love the older marlin wood. It is as fine a deer rifle as you can buy.

I grew up with a Marlin 336 Texan and got my first five deer with it. Stupidly I traded it off maybe 40 years ago.

Happily I got one about nine months ago, a 1968 model, just like the one I used.

attachment.php

And I ain't letting this one go!

So think about it. Life is short. If you really want one, grab one! I know where a 18 inch barrel Texan 30/30 right now is for sale. I think $500 and it's on consignment. If you want one, look around like I did!

Deaf

1894 or 336?

30-30 is cheap for ammo at about $14-16 a box and can be reloaded for a lot cheaper. I'm not sure about its long range capabilities but I have a few and they do the job.

I don't think the Model 1894 was ever chambered in .30-30. Its shorter chamber accommodated mostly pistol cartridges, along with the .218 Bee, .25-20 WCF, .32-20 WCF and the .22 rf magnum (1894M).

Yep, no .30-30 in the 1894.

The lineage is 1893 -> 1936 -> 36 -> 336. (-> 444 -> 1895)

---

Buy the .30-30.
And knowing that you should be looking at JM rifles is an excellent start.

I'm not going to talk you out of it, or try to find a way to justify it. I don't know your needs, wants, or desires.

But I will tell you, that as a man that never really liked lever-guns much, the bug bit me once I spent some quality time with a 2002 Marlin 336 in .30-30 (quality time - not just random plinking and screwing around, which was the norm).

Now, I freely admit that I didn't particularly like that rifle, and I turned it into something else (chopping, grinding, etc. :D).
But it started a fire that I have been unable to control.

The Marlins keep multiplying, and, with only two exceptions, all of them are .30-30s or .444s.

Don't be afraid to "molest" the rifle.
Make it what you want.
There were MILLIONS of 336s manufactured, and even if every member of this forum cut one up, it wouldn't be a drop in the bucket.
Collectors already have the collectible rifles. The rest are fodder for people that use their firearms.
I only own two Marlins that I haven't 'molested'. One is an heirloom. The other is brand new (2008 JM) ... and I simply haven't gotten around to messing with it. ;)

Out of all the rifles I've bought and sold that Marlin was the only one I miss
Uh-huh:D
There will be more as time goes on. Especially that Garand!
Buy the Marlin, and start recouping the losses of your mistakes. Especially since it is priced favorably.

Having both a 336 in .30-30, and an older one in .35 Remington, I prefer the .35, it's likely put more than a thousand pounds of venison on the table since my grandfather bought it in the 50's, but you'll find .30-30 easier to get ammo for.

Another plus is the price of good 30-30 ammo these days. I have a 1947 36ADL and a 1974 336C, I would love to find a nice Zane Grey 336.
A guy we hunted in Zapata (way south Texas) with when I was a little boy had one. I couldn't take my eyes off of that thing!

I've heard it said that more deer have been slain by the venerable 30-30 than any other cartridge and I believe its true. Its an old cartridge that worked good a hundred years ago and the basic game has not changed, it still works. It's not a .270 but out to a couple hundred yards its good under a hundred it's well Danged good. :D

Back