Help please! First time squirrel hunter looking to make this easy for his wife!

Hey Pahoo, THANKS! I know what mange looks like and little more. Its transmitted by tiny mites that may or may not be visible, and once it gets bad the animals become a patch work of bald and balding spots, ultimatley loosing all their hair and death from starvation or infection. It spreads really quickly by contact.

:confused: So if we see a mangey squirrel I reckon we should shoot it to keep the rest of the population safe?

Never mind, you already answered it Pahoo. Thanks!
I don't figure that that'll scare her off. I've had ticks AND lyme disease before, thank God she was in my life, cause she litterally drug my stupid feverish tail to a Doc. And our old roommate infested the house with fleas. We'll just let the mangey ones lie.

The absolute best way to see squirrels is to sit in a deer stand with a 30-06. You'll be covered up in the noisy things then.

That's all too true!

Every year when I'm out squirrel hunting I have to REALLY hunt for them. On the other hand every year when I'm out deer hunting I see them EVERYWHERE and hear them all over! The problem of course is I've got too large a caliber gun to shoot squirrel AND I don't want to scare away any deer that might be nearby.

Its almost like the little buggers know when I'm gunning for them and when I'm not!

I guess I missed something as I'm wondering why you don't or can't use a .22 rifle. That is a lot more fun. A 12ga is overkill and could make quite a mess that will present more problems. .....
We can, and that's the plan, though others have suggested using the shotgun for a greater chance of harvesting an animal. My wife and I like the .22 though as neither of us has really shot a shot gun, and I'm not comfortable with a single bead as opposed to the front and rear sight.

The absolute best way to see squirrels is to sit in a deer stand with a 30-06. You'll be covered up in the noisy things then.
My uncle up in PA says this is very very true. I've walked up to a deer close enough to touch one behind his house, but come hunting season he says they get much smarter.

I hunt my squirrels in the mountains in either oaks or sugar pines. I like to use .22lr, 40 gr solids. In some areas, you're better off with a shottie do not always knowing what's behind your target..... shooting up into trees.

I just drive to my hunt area, get out and quietly stroll thru the trees, often standing or sitting perfectly still for a while. I look for signs and listen for them barking.

I always gut and clean mine, put them in baggies, then in an ice chest before I leave the mountains.

Back