Help picking a rifle...

I'd purchase either a Tikka or Browning rifle and have a smith cut the barrel to 20 inches. Also recommended is to have the muzzle Magna-Ported to eliminate muzzle jump.

Jack

+1 on the Tikka, REALLY good guns for reasonable money. I have a T3 stainless in 6.5x55 and it is hands down the most impressive gun in the safe. Unless you are planning on hunting exclusively elk/moose with it I think you will find that mid sized 6.5mms are simply better then the 308 especially when you are talking about 700 yards and a lightweight rifle, of course if you are talking about 1,000lbs+ game the 30 caliber does have some noteworthy advantages. Tikka chambers the 260, 6.5 CM and the 6.5x55 though the latter is hard to find in the states.

I already have a 6.5 CM (RPR, semi custom changed a lot on it). Which is why Im looking for a 308. Realistically I won't take a shot past 500 on an animal and even at that distance all the conditions have to be right. The 700 yards is just for paper. I thought pretty hard about the tikka T3 but I'm still leaning towards Sako carbon light. I'd have to do a lot to the tikka to get what I want out of it. All i'd have to do with the Sako is have it bedded. I do appreciate the input though.

Back