Help picking a couple powders for these chamberings

All of them will generally be in the same burn rate range.

But no one or even two powders will be the perfect optimum to cover all of them.

There are new gen powders I have not tried.

These are all fairly slow, but on the faster end of slow I'd look at IMR 4350,H4350,And RE-19. Possibly you would come up with a use for something a bit quicker,,but one of those would handle that general burn rate.

Then a bit slower I'd want H-4831,or RE-22,

I use some H-1000 in 7mm Rem Mag.

I have found every one of those powders "best" for something.

I'd agree,buy some one lb cans to make your choices before you commit to 8 lb jugs.

They are all good,versatile powders.

You might have to pick a couple of rifles to dial in. Find the sweet spot for them .

Of these powders,one of the quicker ones and one of the slower ones will load everything.

Maybe RE-19 and RE-22,maybe IMR4350 and H4831SC

They are all good Only one way to see what works.Have fun doing it!

The 75-87 gr bullets might want something a little quicker,but you can feed them with one lb cans

Last edited:
I usually "fall in love" with a particular powder and load for MY rifle in a 1 lb canister before I go to the alter and marry an 8 lb'r.;)

Look through Hodgdon's load data for all your bullet weights. Look at the pressures given for the maximum loads. The ones with the highest maximum load pressures are the ones that produced the least pressure variation from shot-to-shot during Hodgdon's testing. If you are choosing among several powders, that would be a plus factor for general performance consistency, assuming you can find a sweet spot load for your rifles with that powder and the bullet of interest.

Generally speaking I don't advise trying to make 1-2 powders work with multiple cartridges. You usually end up with less than optimum performance with all of them.

But in this case all of them are so close that it might be possible.

I went through a similar thing quite a few years ago with a similar list of calibers.

One thing I went with was H4895 simply because of the vast load ranges it has. Not only did it have standard data for all of my rifles, it could also be reduced which made it more useful. I did go a step further and get H4350 and H4831sc as well.

That said, like what has already been posted, even with these I still have small bottles for a couple of different loads simply because the initial 3 aren't always the best suited for everything. Just because there is data for a 150gr bullet in a 7 mag doesn't mean that my or your rifle will shoot it well. Granted mine will group around 3-4" with the slower of the three and it will do around an inch with the 4895 but at around 2400fps. Just not what your looking for out of a Sendero set up for 3-600yd shots. Dump in a copious amount of RL19 though and its game on.

Back