Help! NICS Denial...

Hunter Customs ....unfortunately being a small dealer in a rural area we do not always receive updates to ATF rules and regulations.
ATF doesn't mail out updates, they simply post them on their website.

The elimination of the "contiguous state" restriction was one of the benefits of the 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act.

Bhall1986 said:
I did notice tho, my address on my driver license it abbreviated and the guy made me spell every thing out. So idk..
Your address isn't transmitted, so that couldn't have been the problem.

All the information on the appeal process can be found here: https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/n...rocess/nics-appeal-frequently-asked-questions

Note that they will respond to your initial request within five business days to provide you with the general reason for your denial. This can help you (or your attorney) determine if they have the wrong person or if something your thought was purged from your record is still there, for example. Beyond that, note that:
The NICS Section’s Appeal Services Team is currently processing appeal cases received in July 2015 and Voluntary Appeal File (VAF) cases received in June 2015.
See: https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/appeals/nics-appeals-process/appeals-home So, if you have to proceed with the appeal process, expect it to take a year.

Update..

Got a letter from the FBI saying a person fitting my description had, let's just say a few problems.. letter saying I was able to buy a weapon and a letter to take back to bass pro to let them know I was cleared to but the firearm I was wanting.. I have since got me a AR back in my home state.

I'm not sure if I had the same exact thing happen, but I have been turned down twice on the NICS. The first time, the gun shop called me back the next day to let me know that I was cleared to purchase. The next time, at the Portland gun show, there was a dealer from the other side of the state that happened to have an appealing model 1912 Winchester at a very compelling price. Well, I failed the check, and the dealer offered a refund, but since he was a regular at the PDX gunshows, I said let's keep the deal in progress, call me when I'm cleared, and let's finish the transaction at the next gun show. Well, it all worked as planned, but oddly this time, it was weeks before I was cleared. Since those two times, I have always been immediately approved. So I guess the system has improved. Apparently, if your last name is Smith, Jones, Johnson, Anderson, or Williams, (the 5 most common surnames in America), there are more people out there with your exact full name than you would ever believe, and one or more of them probably has a criminal record. I guess they were red-flagging a lot of innocent people for closer scrutiny in the earlier years of the NICS program just to be sure they weren't that person .

Got a letter from the FBI saying a person fitting my description had, let's just say a few problems.. letter saying I was able to buy a weapon and a letter to take back to bass pro to let them know I was cleared to but the firearm I was wanting.. I have since got me a AR back in my home state.

Man, that was quick.

Pathfinder45, I would say that you just got a "Delay" and not a "Denied".

Pathfinder45, like Joe_Pike said, it looks like you're confusing a "delay" with a "deny". The OP was flatly denied the purchase of a firearm by NICS. Usually that's due to the purchaser being prohibited from buying firearms, but sometimes it's because a mistake was made. There is no "waiting to be cleared" for a NICS denial, at that point you need to contact the FBI and go through the appeals process to get your denial overturned in order for the shop to be able to transfer the gun to you.

It looks like what you're describing is a delay. It doesn't mean you're turned down, it just means they need more time to complete the NICS check for whatever reason.

And yeah, the OP got lucky, that's pretty darn quick for a NICS appeal. I know some are backed up for almost two years. Maybe there are different types of appeals, but I don't know much about the appeal process since I've been lucky enough not to need to go through it.

Back