Help! Need concealed carry suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darthmaum

Hello all,

I will soon be getting my CCW and I am unsure how I should carry my gun. All you women (and men who know women that carry) how do you conceal your weapon?

I am uncomfortable carrying my gun in a handbag, as a lot of women seem to do. It will be harder to get to, to draw in a hurry, and I am notorious for setting my bag down and forgetting it, plus it could get stolen from off my shoulder.

So, let me hear from you, and what you think. I have considered an IWB, but don't normally wear a belt. A belt holster would show, as most of my shirts ain't super long and I don't always want to wear a coat.

What about belly bands or the "Thunderware?" Anyone have experience with these things?

I will be carrying a SA Ultra Compact .45 BTW. I also have a SIG P228 that I will carry from time to time.

Any help y'all can give me will be immensely appreciated! Thanks in advance.

------------------
"...What will you do without freedom? Will you fight?... Fight, and you may die, run and you'll live, at least a while. And dying, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that, for just one chance, to tell our enemies, that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!!"
-------------------------
je suis prest

Darthmaum,

As far as losing your bag to a snatcher, you should carry it with the strap over your head. By which I mean, if you carry the bag on your right, the strap should be on your left shoulder.

There are bags that feature external pockets for your gun, so you don't have to open the top flap and go digging.

I don't have much experience with belly-bands or Thunderwear. My appreciation for pasta and beer, plus the keg-on-stilts physique that I inherited from Grandpa, pretty much precludes that option. :)

Since you'll be carrying small autos, you might try a pocket holster, if your pants are fairly roomy. A good pocket holster will prevent the gun from printing, and keep it free of lint.

Skirts/dresses are another matter. None of the ladies I know who carry wear them, so I really don't have any ideas besides the purse. A thigh rig could be an option.

A good place to check is <a href="http://www.defend-net.com/paxton/">
Paxton Quigley's site</a>.

HTH.

------------------
A vote for the lesser of two evils is still a vote for evil.
Vote Libertarian - For A Change.

I purchased a Thunderbelt and have used it for concealed carry with a Sig P239. It holds the gun comfortable and does a fine job of concealing so long as my trousers have pleats or are a little baggy. They offer a variety of sizes and I use a medium for the Sig.

If I were a lady, I would probably carry in a small to medium waist pouch or pack. There are various packs out there. I would prefer one that doesnt look like a "gun pouch".
As I am not a lady I usually use the Mexican carry which is the pistol tucked in my waistband (sans holster) right behind my hip.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

IWB is the way to go my friend.
Do a search for "clipdraw" it
is awesome. http//www.clipdraw.com
Check out IWB Kydex it is very thin.
Cheap & thin , suede clip-on. The
ultra compact you have , is it a
Kimber? Give me a full report on
your range trials. Very Interested.

------------------
"No Tailgating!"

Belly bands suck IMO and thunderwear is a joke. The clip draw sounds like a good idea. I use a SOB, but then I wear a belt and vest quite a bit. I think I'll have to get a clip draw though, just to add some variety.

------------------
Arizona Morgan, The Official Armchair Warrior

Darthmaum.... I do not live in a ccw state and can not address this question directly. However while reading your question it occurred to me that for effective concealment you may have to resort to what many men have to do.... Adjust the wardrobe to ease concealment. The guns you mention are not subcompact, or featherweights and I would imagine that they will require some concession in the clothing department to conceal them effectively for any length of time. Just a thought. Chris in mo

Another option would be the new vests and jackets from Coronado leather. They have concealed universal holster pockets in both sides, so they work whether you're right or left handed. I love my vest from Coronado - by far the most comfortable and well-concealed carry method I've tried yet - and I've tried quite a few. They make the vest for women now, and will have jackets in women's sizes soon. Check 'em out, they're at http://www.coronadoleather.com.

Aahzz

[This message has been edited by Aahzz (edited August 19, 1999).]

Perhaps a paddle holster designed especially for women. By the very nature of psysiological differences, women's holsters tend to ride a little higher to compensate. I'll look around and see what I can find.

I think I can probably appreciate your dilemma. I wear a suit and tie, but the jacket is off 99% of the time. I can't be seen with a firearm - it needs to be completely and always concealed. I don't have the option to get creative with my wardrobe. So, while other options like SOB (small of back) or IWB (in waist band) might have tactical superiority, they would also effectively mean I couldn't carry - they are simply not an option. I'm not going to change careers so that I can carry concealed.

Currently, I use Thunderwear. No one sees the Kahr K9. It is unobtrusive, but available. However, there is no question in my mind that an adversary could outdraw me. Right now I have to be content with the thought that I must have a bit more 'notice' in order to use the firearm. I realize this means I would lose in some situations that others, with other carry methods, would survive. But, at least in the majority of violent encounters I would have a chance to access the weapon - it is certainly better than having no firearm available.

I also want to try bellybands. I've heard they can work especially well with women who wear 2 piece dresses (correct terminology?) and blouses. Keep the firearm on your side, under your armpit, pull up the blouse and voila. On guys I'm told you can keep one button unbuttoned under your tie. Keep the firearm in the same location, reach under your tie and pull the firearm through the unbuttoned shirt. Still want to try it. I've heard this can work better than Thunderwear.

I've very, very uncomfortable putting a loaded and ready firearm into a 'daily planner' or briefcase, so I understand your concern about your purse. Not only is theft an issue, but so is simple loss or, worst case, discovery by a child. I don't care to get anywhere near this option.

While I realize you want to make the right choice the first time, realize that this will be a learning process. You need to determine what will work for you. Make your best choice, and live with it for a few weeks or a month. Practice with it - with an unloaded weapon in a safe place, of course. Then, if you're not completely satisfied, try your second choice and do the same. It will cost some money in the beginning, but you will find what works, and all the nuances that goes with it - you are learning a new lifestyle. For example, I find I have to wear the Thunderwear exactly right or I ruin my pants or can hardly sit down. Besides, when 'properly worn' it makes me look so manly. ;)

Regards from AZ

My wife has 2 of the Coronado "carry purses" and loves them. They look like a coach purse and come in a variety of colors ans styles. DO not discount the purse carry option too quickly. She can draw and fire a round on target in 2 seconds.

I also like the suggestion that you may have to adjust you clothing to help facilitate concealed carry. Good luck.

CMOS

The gun-purse thing isn't a viable option at this time; I've got a 1 mo old baby, and normally carry around a diaper bag. I do like the idea of the purse more for when I'm not carrying a diaper bag everywhere, say in a couple of years or so.

Coinneach,
I've heard differing opinions on carrying a purse as you described. I used to do that when I went downtown to Big D everyday for work. I then read in one of the gun magazines (can't remember which one) that it wasn't that safe to carry it that way, as someone could choke you if they ran by and attemped to grab the purse, while it was "around" your neck.

As far as pocket holsters and Thunderwear, I don't normally wear baggy pants, just my Levi's 501's. They aren't skin tight, but they aren't exactly baggy either. I don't know if I could fit my flab and the Thunderwear into the pants! ;) Women's pants just don't have deep pockets like men's pants do, since we normally carry everything in our "suitcases".

With the belt packs, does anyone know of any that are closed by Velcro rather than a zipper? It seems that having to unzip the pack to get the gun out could take up precious seconds...

Shortfuse, The .45 I have is a Springfield Armory Ultra-Compact V10. It looks a lot like Kimber's version. (I wish I could afford a Kimber). But if you're still interested in a range report, I plan on tryin' it out this weekend. I can't wait!!!! I spoke with a IWB manufacturer about clip IWB's and he thought they were unsafe. He'd heard of instances where someone drew the holster and the gun. Oops! I do like that idea myself though, I'll check out that URL you posted.

For those that carry SOB, do you have to remove the holster (or move to different position) when you drive? I like the idea of SOB and have tried it w/ my gun. I'm just worried about it being uncomfy on long car trips and what could happen to my spine in the event of a collision. Do I worry too much? ;)

Jeff T, can the Thunderwear be worn a little higher up than waistline? I sure don't want to have any kind of "manly bulge!" Is it just a band that you strap on, or what? I went to a their website, but all it showed was a strapping male pulling down his boxers to reveal the grip of a revolver. Couldn't really see how the Thunderwear fits on...

There are so many options, it makes my brain hurt. Thanks for all the advice thus far!

------------------
"...What will you do without freedom? Will you fight?... Fight, and you may die, run and you'll live, at least a while. And dying, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that, for just one chance, to tell our enemies, that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!!"
je suis prest

I take my gun out of the holster when I'm driving, but leave the holster on. When I'm going to be driving for extended periods of time I take the holster off to, because if I'm driving for a long time then I'm going to someone's house and I don't have to worry about putting the holster back on.

------------------
Arizona Morgan, The Official Armchair Warrior

I went to the Clipdraw website, liked what I saw and emailed them. I want to make sure that would work with my gun. It is ported, I want to make sure the clip thingy won't interfere with ejection of spent cases.

For y'all who've tried this product: Does it hold the gun firmly to the pants, and does the grip stay up against your back/hip, or does the grip stick out?

------------------
je suis prest

I've ordered a Clipdraw for my 1911. I'll report on it in the Accessories forum when I get a chance to use it.

FWIW, I emailed the company before I ordered, asking about things like ejection interference and drag marks on the slide. They responded the next day (a good sign) and said there are no known problems.

------------------
A vote for the lesser of two evils is still a vote for evil.
Vote Libertarian - For A Change.

If I was a female packing heat, I would get a good quality IWB that attaches to the pants with a good clip (since you said that you don't wear a belt). You can try Horseshoe Leather's 62C model, which has a clip that won't allow the holster to be drawn up with the gun (a problem with cheap IWB clips is that they don't secure to the pants enough). Andy Arratoonian is the guy behind Horseshoe's one man shop, and is a very reputable holster maker. He's based outside London, so shipping may be a bit more (then again, maybe not).
You can also try Alessi's Talon holster, which works the same way. No website, but you can call him at 716-691-5615.
You may want to try wearing a belt though,it allows many more carry options.

You said you wear Levi's, so do I. First get a good thick belt at least 1 1/4 inch wide. Nobody would think twice about a belt with jeans. Then get a GOOD IWB holster with belt loops, forget clips they won't stay put. Finally just wear loose blouses with the tail out to cover the gun. I do this with Levi's and a slightly large T-shirt all summer long. BTW: You might consider a set of smooth grips. Sometimes the checkered versions tend to gnaw on your side after a while.
Simple, effective and it works.

Have to disagree with the above (no offense). True, many clips don't hold properly. But a good holster with a strong clip will work just fine. I have heard that the Horseshoe one will work with sweatpants even. Have read that the Strongcore nylon IWB from Strong Holsters is also effective as well.
Of course, I do agree that getting a good double thick gun belt will give you many more options. Remember, don't use a belt because your pants fit fine...use one because something else won't fit well if you don't.

Darth. If you are thinking about a clip on type of holster, I have heard great things about the Alessi Talon line of holsters. Even people who state a preference for belt slots have said that the clip design that Alessi uses does a good job of holding the holster IWB with or without a belt.

Alessi also makes a Middle of the Back holster which is an IWB that positions the gun to the right of the spine. The gun is held in a canted vertical position instead of horizontal across the spine.

If you are interested I can get you contact info for Lou Alessi and he will send you a catalog. I don't have it with me right now though. Just let me know.

By the way, a good belt will go a long way to improve comfort and concealment. It will hold the gun close to the body and reduce problems of the gun printing. Chris in MO

[This message has been edited by chris in mo (edited August 20, 1999).]

like another post I say Don Humes is a good
holster for inside waist band carry ESPECIALLY for a small 5 shot revolver, their
very low and no one can see if your carrying,
I carry Ruger SP-101 in front and its covered by a T-shirt and no one see's, get a
stainless gun and clean it every time your done carrying cause it will still rust,sweat
is my main problem with IWB holsters, I have a Taurus 605 blued model that I carried till
I found rust pits near grips, all other carries can be seen, especially the popular fanny packs, which any BG would rip off your
body before you had a chance to draw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back