Help me save my knuckle

Howdy Again

To further clarify, all my single action revolver shooting is done one handed. In the CAS world we call that Duelist style. I do not hold the gun with a death grip, I allow the gun to rotate slightly in my hand, AND I do not keep my elbow stiff. I allow the gun to raise my forearm up as it recoils. Granted, this is not a 480 or a 454, but a full house 45 Colt round does have a stout recoil. Both the grip rotating in my hand, and the raised forearm eats up all the recoil energy. Plus, with the gun in the air, it makes cocking for the next shot easier.

Pistol%2002_zpsx1mghgzu.jpg

As I said earlier, I no longer own a Ruger with the Bisley style grip. However I own two original Colt Bisleys. Yes, the Colt Bisley grip shape was designed for target shooting. However I have noticed that the forward sweep of the grip makes the gun tend to point down slightly, not straight forward. I believe this is because many 19th Century target shooters shot with a slightly bent elbow, rather than with the arm extended straight out as bullseye shooters do today. With a slightly bent elbow, my Bisleys tend to point straight ahead, not down.

When shooting a Bisley however, even though the grip is longer than the standard plowhandle grip. I do tend to curl my pinky under the grip. Just habit I suppose. This does leave about 1/4" of space between the trigger guard and my knuckle.

This Bisley is chambered for 38-40 and left the factory in 1909. Although the 38-40 does not have quite the punch of a 45 Colt, it still has a serious recoil and I don't recall this guy ever whacking my knuckle.

bisley03_zpsa2a15e70.jpg

I always hold my SA revolvers like Driftwood recommended, with my pinky curled under the grip. I never get my knuckle whacked.

+1 On Driftwood’s post and Tallball.

Things to try short of custom grips:
- adjust your grip slightly lower
- work on your grip strength by squeezing a tennis ball as exercise
- shooting glove with lots of palm padding... not for recoil but to shift your grip back from the frame without adding material to the back of the grip frame.

A good fit, consistent grip, and hand strength are all important to shooting consistent groups. My pistol smith recommended I work on hand strength and watch my bullseye target groups over a few months. He was right. Not only did my groups tighten, which could be due to practice, but I had to adjust my sights twice as the point of aim and point of impact changed. Big booms take work to make em look easy.

Back