Help me pick a new revolver?

I recently purchased a Rock Island Armory Model 200. It has a four inch barrel, built on a bigger frame than my SP101. The finish on it isn't all that great, but it does have a very nice trigger considering that it was $250 brand new. If you check out the YT videos on this gun, you will find that most everybody agrees that it's a good gun with a not so good finish. With your college budget, an M200 might give you what you are looking for, and you can get the more expensive and nicer gun once your budget allows for it.

I've owned a Ruger GP100 & a Ruger SP 101 & traded them in for the Smith Wesson. The R GP100 is a great revolver but the S&W 686 P is better. Only con, for me, is the weight of the 686P.
I suggest that you go to your range & rent 3 or 4 revolvers. Then you'll know what's best for you.

I prefer the Smith and Wesson no lock models over all others. In my 45 plus years of handgun ownership I have owned most every brand at one point in my life. Currently I have Colt, Ruger and mostly Smith and Wesson revolvers in the stable. I vote for the S&W.

I will say in my past, circumstances often dictated what I owned. I have had good examples of Astra, Rossi, Taurus, Charter Arms, Llama and other brands of revolvers. Even so the Smith and Wesson is my go to when it comes to wheel guns.

Try a used S&W Model 60-18. It's got a 5" barrel, adjustable sights and the best SA trigger you'll find. It is very accurate and cab be found for $500 used.

I am going to second the idea of a single action revolver as well. The Ruger blackhawk or even a Ruger single 7 would be cool.

How about a .22 revolver in 4 or 6 inch to learn how to shoot double action? A 22 (S&W 617) is always in my range bag.

I have a Ruger Match Champion with adjustable sights and am very pleased with this gun.

The trigger feels as good or better than my S&W's.

I suggest a Ruger Blackhawk with about a 6" barrel in 357, maybe stainless. Many of the other option are two strikes against you for accurate shooting. The price is reasonable for both gun and ammo. I would want adjustable sights for a gun I was planning to target shoot. The 38 and 357 will hit different poi.

A single action is also a chance to diversify. I have a little bit of everything and that owning each and taking time with each is really the only way to appreciate these things. A test fire is fine, but; not the last word.

it may offend the purist, but I have big hands and like to add pachmayer signature rubber grips to my SA rugers. Grips are a big deal with any handgun you want to shoot to its fullest potential. I see some of the DA guns have come a long way.

As far as Taurus, I would save my money toward a ruger or smith or wait and get nothing.

I am not a huge wheel gun fan, but I do have a 6" stainless Ruger GP100. That thing is an absolute tack driver and the single action trigger is great. The double action is a little heavy, but it is pretty much a range toy for me. Most people say the GP100 is over-built, which is totally fine by me.

Back