Help me pick a new revolver?

ChuckClapp

Inactive
Hello,

I've picked up shooting a year or so ago and I like revolvers. I only own three: Sp101(2.25"), Taurus 85, and a S&W 442. I love them, but I can't hit much at distances since they're snubs.

I've been looking around for a new full size, but can't decide. I also live in CA, so my options aren't great. I'm also in college, so my budget isn't "tight", but I'd like to eat also.

I love the look of the 686+. However, the cheapest quote I've found was $804 out the door. The Taurus 65 is a much better price, but I haven't found one to shoot at any ranges. I like the GP100, too, but I haven't priced one out. I've seen a few in the $600-$650, but that seems a little high.

Thoughts? Thanks if you've read thus far.

I'm on a fairly tight budget myself and for me that means I buy Taurus handguns instead of S&W or Ruger. That's just me though. I'd buy the Taurus 65.

Of the guns you mentioned, the SP101 is by far the easiest shooting one. It’s slightly larger and has a bit more weight to it. Plus it allows you to shoot .357 magnums as well as the .38’s. I have one as my EDC, and it would be my pick over the other two. I also have a 686 plus snubby. Great gun, but the SP101 carries far easier on the belt.

You could probably find an affordable used SW model 10. Not sure on the CA laws, I hope these are okay.

Could always look at black powder too.

I love them, but I can't hit much at distances since they're snubs
What "distances" are you wanting more accuracy?
How much accuracy are you expecting? Do you want to do serious bullseye competition, or just plinking, and SD practical shooting?
Have you shot any longer barreled revolvers to see if you were more accurate with them?

Has the OP considered single-action revolvers? I shoot my Ruger Blackhawks better than anything else. They are rugged and I am not at all afraid to buy them used. My 6.5" Blackhawk in 357 cost me $299 (used) a year or two ago.

So what are you going to use it for?

I hit fine with my S&W j-frames, but those all can be thumb cocked (and I've needed that feature).

For self defense, I prefer the option of SA if needed and I've needed it before. Try a S&W 638 or 438 if you can find one. Get a trigger job if the double action is too heavy.

If you want a bigger gun for longer range (depends on the weapon's purpose) I'd go with a S&W K or L frame, those are all over gunbroker.com and all "CA compliant" if the seller will ship there.

k, l, n

As others said, check out online sites as well as used revolvers if you know what to look for.

Used K, L and even N frame S&W revolvers are common on the internet.

686 Plus is a great gun. Check prices online. A used one in good condition should be found for less. Hard to wear them out.

If a 686 is only 200.00 more than a Taurus then it's a no brainer, buy the S&W. The Ruger is a good gun but the action is second best to the 686.

The Taurus 65's are street proven, hell-for-stout revolvers that are every bit as good as a Smith & Wesson J-frame.

Buy with confidence.

The 686 is the best the Rug 100 and the Taurus 65 the S&W will keep is value and will be your best to shoot it has a VERY good trigger best on any hand gun the Smith was a police gun for years and is street proven as well GOOD LUCK

"...since they're snubs..." Isn't about that. It's about how they fit your hand and the trigger.
Anyway, on a student's budget, think used. It's not like buying a used car. I'd be thinking GP, but you must try 'em on for size first.
The Taurus is just a Smith 'K' frame clone. Nothing to do with a 'J' frame. If a Smith fits your hand so will the Taurus. MSRP on one of 'em is $513.39 for a blued one. $50 more for SS. Gallery of Guns. Roughly $200 less at Bud's.
"...Taurus 65's are street proven..." So are all the rest. Issue is Taurus' customer service is poor.

Taurus guns are okay but both Ruger and S&W make very good guns. The couple hundred bucks you might save is just that many boxes of ammo at the range. Essentially, wait and redirect that expense for a short while and you'll get a better firearm. Consider that you might own that firearm for the rest of your life (especially if it's a Smith or a Ruger) and that little bit now is totally worth it.

The 686 and GP100 both come in a bunch of configurations. Overall, the 686 is a little nicer but the sturdy GP100 has something I value a lot. It doesn't have an ugly Clinton-imposed lock hole in an awkward and unattractive spot, like a crudely drawn gun-safety mustache on the Mona Lisa. It's not just the constant visual reminder of gun control or unconstitutional Executive pressure on gun manufacturers. The idea of a kill switch operated by a fiddly key that can be fumbled in an emergency or straight up lost really makes me cringe. Taurus also has this feature but the location is less obtrusive.

Back