Help me pick a low light scope

I have never shot one of my 3-9x on 9x. But if 9x won't let you see well enough, you are likely to far away to make the shot in the first place. If it is the last moment's of shooting light you can probably see well at 3x but probably can't see antler's all that far off. But if you like your super huge scope, a 6-24x I think it was, use it! Your gonna have limitation's no matter what you use, either on the high side or low side!

Just ordered a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x56mm. This will be my only rifle with a 40+ objective, but I just figured why not since I only use this long heavy rifle out of the 2 box stands I have with long shots. Figure I can get a cheek pad if necessary. It was between that and a Leica can’t remember the model but it also had a 56mm objective. Came down to the Leupold was about $500 cheaper and has the fire dot reticle. Never had an illuminated reticle and I think that will be very handy also. Thanks for all the input folks! I’ll let y’all know how it does.

misterE I think you made a great choice. I know we wont know how well it works out until next season but be sure to let us know, that may well be a scope in my future. I too hunt box stands in SC and I know just what your talking about..

Heard good things about the VX-5 HD but never looked through one. I have looked through the VX-6 and while good, it doesn't hold a candle to the Leica. My Leica is and ER5 and isn't one of the ERi or Magnus high end models but it's glass isn't very far off from my S&B Stratos.

You will need a high quality scope to see clear at that magnification. Simply going fro 40 to 50 mm objective will not be enough. Will also need some quality glass.

I use 50 mm scopes on my hunting rifles with no issues. Were i hunt we are not allowed to shoot within 200 yards of a feed plot so getting closer may not be an option. I use Zeiss conquest and have no issues at dusk but i rarely hunt at higher magnification.

Back