Help Me Find a EDC CCW

I think an M&P40C might be a good choice for you. I have the 9C and the grip (flat mag base) is shorter than my Shield. Its fairly easy to conceal IWB, too.

i know you said .357 and LCR's are nice i ccw a S&W 638-3 and love it . smooth trigger d/a-s/a option is great for trying out different loads at the range. and i think its the mdl. 649 for .357 in ss . HTH:)

I have tried the S&W M&P Shield in 40. It was ok, but I didn't really fall for it. Grip comfort was good.

I have shot a G27, but it was awful for me. Great gun, but recoil caused it to shift in my grip leaving me unable to shoot more than 1 before adjusting my grip.

I liked to CCW 1911's, but my main 1911 is down and I really need to move away from it. I also have 2 other 1911's but neither is quite up to the task. Both need more tuning.

I like my Kahr P40, but was afraid it would fail me as semi's often do!

I also find my S&W 640 to be a go to gun, but only 5 and a slow reload to boot.

I am glad to see my final 2 show up here. That means I should probably invest more time and effort that way instead of thinking there will be a next best!

So I did...I bought a Comp-Tac Spartan for the P40. Should be GTG. That will give me a good IWB, OWB and decent shoulder holster for it. I hope that holster gets here soon. It is hard to carry OWB in this heat!

I conceal the Springfield XDS 45 and it's quite nice. I can shoot 3" groups at 25 yards. The recoil is manageable and it's only 0.9" thick.

* For myself * I continue to indulge my fetish for 2in RB K frames . To fit your stated criteria , a Ruger SP101 , preferably in 3in if belt/ IWB carried. But I suspect you were intending .357Sig , rather than wheelguns.

There are dozen plus guns that would meet the criteria , and you'd have to fondle & shoot a bunch to decide what suits you.

However , you can work backwards from what you already like and shoot well.. You like .45acp, you like your G21 , but want thinner , and shorter butt. Vola ! Two options. This past weekend I was able to try out a G36 , and was favorably impressed. I own a G29sf , and other than cal , is dimentionally identical the the G30sf in .45acp . The hybred model w/ 36 slide on 30 frame is currently all the rage in gun 'zine writeups and Glock press releases , but I don't find the standard G29/30 slide to be objectionable. So it comes down to slimness of grip vs capacity. The G36 does have a slightly extended mag that holds extra 2rds , and allows the pinkie to fit on the gun. Likewise the G30 will accept G21 mags.

Sounds like you're looking for a walther PPS. Shoots like a full size. Different size mags with different floor plates/pinky extensions. Is ultra thin. Comes in 9mm or 40.

I agree. My PPS has replace my j frame as my full time carry piece.

The trigger is excellent and it reall does shoot like a full size in the 9mm version.

I have heard the recoil is stout in the .40 version.

I have the 40. It's not too bad at all. It's a little snappy, but I would think that true about any sub compact 40. I also have a full size tanfoglio in 40. The two are comparable.

You didn't say what you own or carry now, nor did you say why the ones that you currently own are less than optimal. What do you shoot well?

Without that, we are left to guess, or espouse our personal favorites.

That said, my own experience led me to abandon double-stacks for carry. That narrows the field down quite a bit. So I carry either an alloy frame 4" 1911 or a polymer Kahr P45.

When I carry a revolver IWB, it is a 4" S&W K or N-frame. If you are looking at .357, the K-frame is a lot easier to carry.

Back