Help Me Find a EDC CCW

Nathan

I'm a regular recreational shooter and I CCW most days. I have a couple of guns I CCW, but nothing perfect. I shoot about 100 rounds per month. Starting to shoot some steel with my Glock 21.

I'm looking for:
Trigger - any type is ok, as long as the weight is same on each pull.

Size - I have med size hands. Most guns fit me well. I do prefer a short grip for CCW...to hide on the belt. I tend not to like super small. Something in the range of J frame S&W to 1911 CCO OR maybe G23 max. Thinner is better.

Reliability - I need something with low maint and high reliability.

Caliber - 357 mag, 40 S&W, or 45 ACP

The J frame is a nice gun but if your going to shoot 357 full power loads do yourself a favor and get a Ruger SP101. The SP is nearly the same size as the J frame and you can shoot full power loads all day long because there built like a tank and the extra weight will greatly help with recoil.

Here's one I got recently and added a set of Badger grips.

Take a look at the Kahr CW-40 or 45acp. Or if you prefer all steel the K-40. All of the Kahrs I have ever shot and owned have been super reliable and deadly accurate. I like Kahr's and carry one every now and then, but I really prefer Glock to any carry pistol. I carry a G-33 most of the time summer months, and a G-30 in colder weather. I know some people have but I have never had a Glock malfunction, and I shoot regular and have been carrying for a long time.

Sounds like you're looking for a walther PPS. Shoots like a full size. Different size mags with different floor plates/pinky extensions. Is ultra thin. Comes in 9mm or 40.

pelo801 posted
Sounds like you're looking for a walther PPS. Shoots like a full size. Different size mags with different floor plates/pinky extensions. Is ultra thin. Comes in 9mm or 40.
I second this. The PPS is the best subcompact single-stack gun on the market in my opinion. Amazingly low recoil, good trigger, and ridiculously reliable. Of all the other subcompacts on the market, including the Shield and XDs, it shoots the most like a full sized pistol. And I like the hinge-down mag release on a sub-compact; it makes it less likely that you'll accidentally hit the mag release while wearing it in a soft holster like a belly band or an ankle rig.

Oops sorry I read too fast and missed the caliber caveat.

Endorse the Ruger SP as above. Probably the easiest small .357 to shoot.

Also Glock 27. If you are considering the 23 this is just about as comfortable to shoot, and easier to carry.

Another vote to check out the Kahrs, you're not going to find anything much smaller/flatter/lighter.
However, if the Kahrs are too small/light/punishing take a look at the SIG P250 subcompacts. They're very easy to maintain, modular so you can swap grip modules/slides/calibers whenever you like, have a light/smooth DAO-style trigger and are very affordable.
Tomac

These aren't 40's, but counter-clockwise from top right are P250compact, P250subcompact, Kahr P380 and Kahr CM9:

Might as well stick with what you know. Stay with the Glock, and get a good Holster for it. It's hard to beat a pre-cocked single action trigger like a Glock.
The DA/SA trigger would widen your horizons, but the child-like simplicity of the "safe action" trigger is hard to beat.

My input...

For a regular CC pistol, I suggest the .357sig caliber. It's fast(high vel), powerful(high KE level), feeds well(cycles), and offers great marksmanship(accurate).
.357sig sidearms have been in regular use by many sworn LE agencies since the mid-1990s; Texas DPS, US Secret Service, VA State Police, FAMS(air marshals), NM State Police, DE State Police, etc.
For a pistol, Id look at the Glock 23 .40(can convert to .22LR/.357sig/9mm), the SIG P229R in .40 or .357sig(DAK format), the PX4 C(constant action) in .40S&W, the P2000 LEM in .357sig or .40, the M&P Shield in .40S&W, P220R DAK .45acp, the S-A XDm 3.8 in .40(with a added .357sig match grade barrel).

Any of these sidearms can be concealed & serve you well.

www.gunsamerica.com www.slickguns.com www.jgsales.com www.gilbertsguns.com

Kick it old school with a S&W Model 60:

400px-StainlessS%26WModel36.jpg

The early models were .38 Special only. Newer ones are .357 with a slightly larger frame and cylinder window.

I like the older ones. They are smaller and only 4-oz heavier than the alloy framed 642, but a lot more pleasant to shoot and very durable.

Ruger LCR .357magnum....

If you want a deep carry weapon(pocket/concealed garment/ankle/etc), the Ruger .357magnum LCR is also worth a look.
You can add a XS Big Dot sight or a CT lasergrip/Lasermax Centerfire.
The .38spl is popular but I like the .357magnum format for the extra weight & being able to handle the .357magnum ammunition.
A .38spl +P or +P+ load works best for most CC uses but a 125gr .357magnum JHP or magnum load(DPX, MagSafe, Glaser Silver Safety Slug) as a spare/reload.

I was going to suggest the Kahr PM9, which I've carried almost every day for almost 10 years ... but if you want a larger bullet, I recently got a Springer XDs in .45ACP and it is a remarkable firearm ... perfect so far with about 200 rds through it, very accurate at SD distances, low recoil, love the fiber-optic front sight ... only drawback is six round capacity, but I always carry a spare mag so that at least softens the problem ... I just sold a j-frame because I just didn't shoot it well enough and don't have the time for constant practice; aside from a derringer I had for a while, it's the hardest gun I've ever owned to shoot with accuracy ...

Incidently ... have never had a failure of any kind since I took the Kahr out of the box; it's easy to belt carry or pocket carry ... and they make a .40 ..

good luck ...

Back