Help me choose

But do you know for certain the reason is because of a safety issue? Remington didn't change their barrel shank diameter with the RUM, SAUM, or WSM cartridges I'm not sure on the .338 LM. The reason I'm using Rem as an example is their barrel tennon or "shank" is roughly the same size as the small shank Savage.

The best reason I've heard on the forums is Savage wanted to use heavier barrel tapers on their target and rifles. The increased the shank size to accommodate this to avoid having to step up their barrels in front of the barrel nut. They didn't increase the size of the action on the large shank nor the O.D. of the barrel nut.

It seems everyone assumes on the forums it was for safety reasons, but I've never found one tech article from Savage stating it is the reason.
To me it seems Savage never admits they have or had a problem until its so obvious they have to. The exploding RUMs come to mind. (I love Savage, I own 30 something of them)

Trivia: The older Winchester Model 70 WSM's.had control feed action before the old style picked back up. The bolt face was flat. The ejector went through a slot in the bolt face. Extractor looked like one from a push feed but the rounds fed up out of the magazine under the extractor. The combination of push controlled fed was featured in the ads at the time.

I love the WSMs. Specifically the 270 WSM.

Plenty of good rifles out there already chambered for that cartridge. Pick one. Seems like the easiest method??

Reynolds357 said:
To me it seems Savage never admits they have or had a problem until its so obvious they have to. The exploding RUMs come to mind. (I love Savage, I own 30 something of them)

Well you sent me down a rabbit hole that is for sure!

So I started searching for "The exploding RUMs", and I didn't find much. I found reference to three rifles, and only one of them I can say without a doubt was a small shank .300 RUM. My first internet search led me to a post by "dirtygrass" on monstermuleys.com, which also linked this article.

So in the article that was in "dirtygrass's" post there was this comment by "banana":

"unfortunalty, my husband owned savage 300 ultra mag rifle and on halloween 2009 the rifle exploded into his face.....Serious injuries are the end result.....My husband is a huge hunter and has been for YEARS....No obstruction in barrell and yes this rifle is cleaner than a hospital.....This is not the first time that a 300 ultra mag made by savage arms has exploded......If you own one you need to take it to a professional and find out which bolt and bolt assembly parts have become weak or are faulty before this happens to you or somebody you know. Colorado 2009"

So that in turn I was able to find this lawsuit for the hunter that I believe is being referenced in the comment by "banana". Timeline for the three exploding RUM Savage's were 2004 in Utah, 2009 in Colorado, and 2013 unknown location.

So after this my internet search drys up unless you want to comment on the over 40 law suits against the Savage 10 ML-II.

"Court documents filed in support of Hansen’s case indicate the gun manufacturer was hit by more than 40 lawsuits claiming a gun barrel split or exploded since 2004. Lawyers acting for Hansen claim Savage Arms set up its own internal “muzzleloader return team” that fielded hundreds of warranty and service claims."

So in the case of the exploding .300 RUM Savage rifles we have three documented cases. We have three rifles purchased in the years 2003-04, two from Sports Authority formerly Gart Sports, and one not mentioned. The only one we know for sure is a small shank barrel is the one from "dirtygrass" based on pictures he posted, by being purchased in 03-04 the other two could be either large shank or small shank there is no reference. The one thing that was referenced by both "dirtygrass" and "banana" is that the locking lugs or bolt assembly failed. Not once was there a mention of the barrel exploding or photographic proof that the barrel exploded on a RUM rifle.

In the three cases "dirtygrass" admitted to using reloads, "180gr Branes triple shock, 2 grains under max, home moly coated." The first article linked about the Utah man mentioned factory ammunition was used. The third law suit and "banana" don't mention anything about the ammunition used.

So I can't find any indication that a small shank barrel created these blow up incidents, but I can't find anything that says they didn't. I know I'm not well versed in fluid dynamics, metallurgy, and engineering to say that it or isn't a barrel dimension problem. I also know using firearms and reloading can be dangerous if your equipment or practices are flawed in anyway, I'm sure that's why there are a lot of warnings that come on firearms, ammunition and in reloading manuals and equipment these days.

What I did learn thought was:

1. There was never a recall or warning put out on small shank WSM/RUM cartridge rifles (not including the .17 WSM B-Mag). Those rifles with small shanks are still being used safely without any further incidents.

2. There was never any follow up to any of the law suits, so I'm assuming either dropped or more than likely settled out of court after a non disclosure was signed.

Were i to do this build, i would use the large shank for really no other reason than "just because".
Lazzeroni did testing with the Savage large shank. They intentionally over pressured it to see what one would take. At 120,000 psi they got the receiver to permenantly deform. :eek:

Check out Grices. I don't remember a time when there that i have NOT seen a used 270 WSM on the rack.

Incidentally, going by Hodgdon, the 270 WSM with 130gr bullet is about 300 fps faster than 270 Win, and 100 fps slower than 270 Weatherby.

Myself, i use E.R. Shaw barrels. They are made in PA (just south of Pittsburgh). I have had excellent accuracy wiith mine (note, hunting rifles). Are inexpensive. You just missed end of year sale of 15% off entire order.
I have 2 now, and getting money saved up to order 2 more for different builds.

Were i to do this build, i would use the large shank for really no other reason than "just because".
Lazzeroni did testing with the Savage large shank. They intentionally over pressured it to see what one would take. At 120,000 psi they got the receiver to permenantly deform. :eek:

Check out Grices. I don't remember a time when there that i have NOT seen a used 270 WSM on the rack.

Incidentally, going by Hodgdon, the 270 WSM with 130gr bullet is about 300 fps faster than 270 Win, and 100 fps slower than 270 Weatherby.

Myself, i use E.R. Shaw barrels. They are made in PA (just south of Pittsburgh). I have had excellent accuracy wiith mine (note, hunting rifles). Are inexpensive. You just missed end of year sale of 15% off entire order.
I have 2 now, and getting money saved up to order 2 more for different builds.
Yeah I still don't know what exactly I will end up doing.

With a 22 inch barrel with 130 grain Sierra Game Kings and H-1000 At starting loads I was already sending them down range at around 3300 fps with excellent repeat ability and accuracy. I am hopeful that the load I have already finished for my Thompson Center translates well to the new Factory rifle with a longer barrel. I am literally loading at the starting weight with great numbers so aside from experimenting with seating depth I have no quarrel with trying the same exact load in the new rifle.

Already ordered the rifle so if it shoots really well then I won't replace the barrel right away.

I just saw that Savage Has the Model 110 ultralite. Savage Blueprinted action, accu-stock, adjustable comb and LOP and a Proof Research Carbon wrapped barrel. All for $1499 MSRP. Probably real world cost around $1200.....

That's cheaper than I can build on a savage action. They don't make it in 270 wsm, but they do make it in 6.5 PRC. Which is one of my next projects anyway

Back