help me choose!!

As far as manufacture. Uberti is good really good. My 1851 is a good shooter too. if your not too sure about shooting black powder. Dont want to spend a lot. Check out Cabelas. they have the 1851 navy its chambered in 44. for 139.00. their site still shows this special on a 4.95 shipping charge. Thats a heck of deal. You wont get a better deal than that. The gun is a peitta. I have the same one. Pietta is ok. Its a brass frame. Some people will say never to get one. Some are ignorant on not knowing. I have 2 brass frames. As long as you load them with thier recomended loads you will be fine. The gun will last a long time. I have spoke and read from people who have shot thousands of rounds through brass frames. IT all depends on how you take care of it. Same time i use a loading plate. The loading plate is where you place the cylinder on it. Pour bp in each cylinder then put your wads in then place a ball on each cylinder. Then you press them in with a small ram. By doing this you put no stress on the gun as its not on the gun. Same time its so quick. When your done put it back on the gun attach the barrel. Your good to go.

1858 Barrel Length Differences

What are the differences between the 5 1/2", 7 3/8", and 8" barrel lengths?

What would the recommended barrel length be? Someone already mentioned the 5.5", but wanted to know the differences between the other barrel lengths.

What would the recommended barrel length be? Someone already mentioned the 5.5", but wanted to know the differences between the other barrel lengths.

As far as shooting the gun is concerned the main difference is the accuracy you get from the longer sight length - the distance between the sights. The longer, the better, although much depends on whether you can actually take advantage of the longer distance.

Other than that, weight and balance is slightly different and the shorter barrels tend to be easier to quickly bring to bear on the target, although again, it's a personal thing to some extent.

The shorter barrels clear the holster faster and easier, too.

There is no recommendation as to barrel length. It's a personal choice depending on the size of your hands and arms, how quick your reflexes are, your eyesight, how you're going to use it, in short, many objective facts summing to a subjective choice.

Last edited:

I know that from Cabelas a Pietta 1858 5 1/2" barrel costs $20 more than an 8" barrel. I guess they have to pay Guido to remove the front sight, saw 2 1/2 inches off the barrel, then remount the sight.:)

grymster2007 said:
I know that from Cabelas a Pietta 1858 5 1/2" barrel costs $20 more than an 8" barrel. I guess they have to pay Guido to remove the front sight, saw 2 1/2 inches off the barrel, then remount the sight.

Well worth it IMHO, I love my new 5.5" Pietta 1858 New Army, very handy out of the holster...

The 5.5" barrel will make the velocity to be about 30fps less than a 8" barreled model pistol using the same charge. "I have both 8" & 5.5" 1858 Remmies."

Hey raider 2000. On friday the 21 st i will be
the proud onwer of a 1958 new army in 36 cal
with a 5.5 in bore made by pietta, shucks its
only tues, dont think i will get any sleep till that
ups guy gets here on friday. I have a 58 in 44
i was going to buy a 1860 open top, but a lot
of good coments about the 36, so what the heck
go for it.:cool::cool:

On friday the 21 st i will be
with a 5.5 in bore made by pietta

Well, at least someone gets a new gun out of this. Congratulations long rider and please post a "first fondle" as well as a range report.

Mrs. Grymster is all jacked up about retirement. Dragging me around to look at properties and asking how much money we have and such. I'm going along with it and gradually easing her into the idea that there's lots of guns I'll need as "retirement requirements". I think a 58 Remmie in .36 is gonna be one of them.:)

Hey pard, you know that some times you have to
take a bow now and again, when you want something
or its ( what you want another gun for ) then you have
to explain the reson why you want one, i allways say
i dont want to wear out all my guns at once, they need
a break, it seems to work.
I will hit the range this weekend thats if the wife lets me:(

long rider said:
Hey raider 2000. On friday the 21 st i will be
with a 5.5 in bore made by pietta, shucks its
only tues, dont think i will get any sleep till that
ups guy gets here on friday. I have a 58 in 44
i was going to buy a 1860 open top, but a lot
of good coments about the 36, so what the heck
go for it.

That's great & I'm sure that you'll love how handy it feels in your hand.. :D

As far as a bow, I have 3 that are mine "Recurve, Hunter, Competition" then my wife has one & my lil ones have one each...

I allways try to get Moma involved so that she doesn't complain too much about my collection, so far it has worked...

Well you are lucky,:(
My wife not much in to guns, she does not mind
me collecting guns she is not a history buff like
i am ( hey to bad i tell my wife i would trade her
for a new batch of guns if she gets out of line:eek:)
OPPS better not let her see this.:rolleyes:

Stainless, steel, blue

Besides for appearance, what are the differences between stainless steel, steel, and blued?

What I want is something durable, and something that won't easily rust if I don't oil it for months or longer. I prefer the appearance of the dull steel, not anything shiny.

Does the standard steel rust easier than the stainless?

Thanks,

Jake

Back