Help me choose G17 Vs G19 Vs G48 non carry shooter only Gen 4 or 5? Mos?

I went with a Gen 5 17. While I do have a gen 3 23 that I sometimes carry, I prefer the non finger grooved grip and slightly longer length on the Gen 5's grip. The extra 2 rounds and longer sight radius are a fair trade for being a slightly bigger pistol compared to the 19. In my opinion, if you can carry a 19 concealed, you can carry the 17. As far as shooting goes, I had a 19, a 34, and my new 17. I kept the 17 out of the 3, though I did like the slide release better on the 34(which you can get replaced on any other model). I didn't go with the mos model as I don't like to run rmr on my pistols, but it has the front slide serrations which is nice.

A side note: go with what feels better in your hand. The glock 20 and 21 don't fit my hands at all, but their compact counterparts, the 29 and 30, fit fine. Any of the 9, 40, 357 sig pistols also fit me well, but I like the full size 17/22 frame. Luckily the gen 4+5 glocks have changeable backstraps to help with fitment. And sometimes people just don't like the glock grip angle period.

I'm a big fan of the 19, its big enough to be easy to shoot and (even though its not a consideration for you) its not bad to carry.

I would go with the MOS if I were you, you don't need to put an RDS on anytime soon but it lets you have that option should you ever want to.

I bought my Gen3 17 new back in 2009, and in the last few years I put the WC Vickers Elite front F.O. & blind rear battlesight & an APEX Action Enhancement trigger kit on it. I probably have 50K rounds through this one and I’ve only had a very few ammo malfs shooting every type of factory ammo I could get my hands on, including a whole lot of alloy & steel cased “trash” ammo that I wouldn’t shoot using my other nines. I was buying all of the Win USA Forged steel cased 9mm I could get my hands on, 150 rounds for $11.00, and I could feed that ammo through that 17 without a hiccup. Stunk like crazy but it shot O.K.

.... I am looking to start training my children and want that to be on the 9MM Platform.....
Is the Glock 44 (.22LR) an option? If I were going to train children on a Glock, that would be my first choice. ETA: Sorry, I missed where you said you were pretty set on 9mm.

If that's not on the table, then I guess it depends on how old the kids are. (And if you've already told us, I apologize for having missed it.) The G43 and 48 will be slimmer through the grip than the G19, but the G19 is hard to beat for overall versatility.

With this in mind I am leaning towards the G19, I do understand that the G17 would probably be the better target use only gun ( which is what this gun is for ) .

You would think, but for some reason I shoot 19s better than 17s for some reason. Also, I can’t honestly say I can detect any difference in felt recoil between the two, despite the 17’s additional weight.

When you mount a RDS it certainly doesn’t matter.

... I am leaning towards the G19, I do understand that the G17 would probably be the better target use only gun ( which is what this gun is for ).
I'm gonna do something annoying and go off the list. (I know that annoys me.)

I have G17, a G19 (my first Glock) and a G19X. In your situation, I'd split the difference and select ... a Glock 45. It just feels right.

And get the AmeriGlo sights.

The G45 has popped up on my Radar, I am thinking hard about this one, I am kinda down to a 19 or 45 at this time.

The 17 made Glock. Are any of the other models good enough to have done that? Maybe. But why gamble when the sure thing is staring you in the face?

So not to throw more into the mix..... Shadow Systems is putting out a pretty solid Glock clone for a few hundred more. Most of them are optic ready AND you can get a Glock 17 sized slide/barrel on a 19 sized frame ;)

I've put 6000 rounds through mine so far and it has been fantastic.

Shadow Systems has a good following.

That said, it is based on the gen4 and not gen5. The gen5 glock has a crowned muzzle end, a tighter chamber, etc under the Marksman barrel. Trigger is also improved. I have never read someone say their gen5 wasn't a shooting improvement over the gen4 (other than hickok45 saying it while quickly reviewing it).

I'm not saying it isn't good, but one has to be compared to the gen5. The differences.

For everything you're wanting it for, the gen5 G34 makes more sense. Sounds like you aren't carrying it. So any of the smaller options really don't give you much unless you want a 4" "compact"?

Shadow Systems has a good following.

That said, it is based on the gen4 and not gen5. The gen5 glock has a crowned muzzle end, a tighter chamber, etc under the Marksman barrel. Trigger is also improved. I have never read someone say their gen5 wasn't a shooting improvement over the gen4 (other than hickok45 saying it while quickly reviewing it).

I'm not saying it isn't good, but one has to be compared to the gen5. The differences.

For everything you're wanting it for, the gen5 G34 makes more sense. Sounds like you aren't carrying it. So any of the smaller options really don't give you much unless you want a 4" "compact"?

I have both Gen 5s and a Shadow System MR920. Despite being based on the Gen 4, the Shadow System doesn’t suffer anything in terms of accuracy. Shadow Systems isn’t using a stock Gen 4 Glock barrel. They’re using their own barrel. In another example, I have a KKM Precision barrel for a Gen 3 that I’ve had for years. I periodically put it into and out of Glock clones, which are more like Frankenstein monsters that I create out of parts I have lying around. It prints just as tightly as my Gen 5 despite the trigger being a Gen 3. I think there are factors that contribute to a stock Gen 5 shooting better than say a stock Gen3/4. But I don’t think those factors are solely present in the Gen 5 Glock. You can find them in other options as well. I’d add that lately I’ve been shooting my stock Gen 5 against one of those Frankenstein monsters that has a stock Gen 3 trigger, and while I like the break on the Gen 5 better, I definitely prefer the reset on the Gen 3/4 better, to the point where if I can actually short stroke the trigger going back to my Gen 5 if I’m riding the reset very closely.

Now all this being said, triggers are not the only important aspect of a pistol. My Gen 5s have been rock solid in reliability in terms of feeding, firing, and extracting and ejecting. My Shadow Systems has not. I do think there are changes on the Gen 5 that make that pistol more reliable. I also wouldn’t suggest someone buy a Shadow Systems at full retail. I would look online for a deep discount, which can be found if you look hard enough. I think they’re worth some premium, but not all of the premium that the MSRP suggests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Gen 5s have been rock solid in reliability in terms of feeding, firing, and extracting and ejecting. My Shadow Systems has not.

What issues did you have? I had some feeding issues using cheap dirty steel cased ammo (Winchester Forged) but only with PMAGS, with Glock factory magazines it was fine. The other issue was after about 3k rounds I had to pull the extractor and give it a good cleaning, quite a bit of carbon built up and it was starting to stick.

What issues did you have? I had some feeding issues using cheap dirty steel cased ammo (Winchester Forged) but only with PMAGS, with Glock factory magazines it was fine. The other issue was after about 3k rounds I had to pull the extractor and give it a good cleaning, quite a bit of carbon built up and it was starting to stick.

I’ve debated writing a review for it, but I can summarize.

From the beginning I had failures to feed on the first round of magazines, whether the PMAGs or Glock magazines (I don’t have great opinions of those Glock PMAGs it comes with). I sent the pistol in to Shadow Systems and they removed a burr from the underneath of the slide. That took of that issue.

I have never found the ejection on my MR920 to be that good. It’s notably less positive than my Gen 5. A fair amount of brass to the face during live fire, and when manually cycling snap caps the extractor tension seems off as the MR920 will regularly leave rounds in the chamber that will eject normally in the Gen 5. This was less of an issue at first, but has worsened over time. I have disassembled and cleaned the slide, including the extractor and its channel.

Lastly, I found it was piercing the primers on Norma 124 gr ammunition. This is decent ammunition (this lot was German made) and out of my Gen 5 I again have no issues. This was the only ammunition type I noticed this behavior with.

A minor nitpick would be I found the grip texture overtime would fill with dead skin and you’d see this visibly on the pistol. I would use a nylon brush to help clean this up, but I’ve had this issue with that texture on other pistols too where the texture doesn’t wear over time, it just fills up with crud and isn’t quite as effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back