Help me choose daughter’s first shotgun

I'd go with a 20 guage Rem 870 with a youth stock. You can always put an adult stock on later. If not that, the Mossberg 500 with a youth stock.

My step daughter started shooting my 12 gauge SXS when she was 14. She loved it. She tried my 20 gauge SXS and said it kicked too hard. Neither one had a recoil pad. Fit does matter.

I agree with a few others here that gas-operated semi-auto is an excellent first shotgun that she won’t quickly outgrow. Even at 12-gauge, it will have less felt recoil than a 20-gauge pump.

To fit your budget, I would be looking for a used 1100 or 11-87 and a youth stock.

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. I have a few ideas for what might work.

I’ve explained the differences between .410 and 20 gauge to her, and single shot vs pump vs semi.

I’m going to take her to a gun shop, let her “try on” the various firearms they have in stock to see how they fit her, and let her choose.

I bought the tristar youth 20 gauge auto and let a 9 year old girl shoot it, it was fine for her and recoil didn't bother her. But the youth stock was still too long for her. This particular shotgun came with an extra adult stock, and a 2 inch extension barrel, so it goes from 24 inch to 26 inch. Price was about 400 hundred or so.

I believe the SA's have less recoil than a O/U, depending how old your daughter is 20 gauge recoil may not matter in an O/U. Like you said be hard to find one in youth though.

Back