• Mossberg MVP Patrol

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • SKS

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Other

Votes: 17 35.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looking at your criteria the Marlin 336 seems to be the best option on that list.

The 30-30 is tired and true, been around a long time and will be around a lot longer.

Personally I like the Winchester 94 but it wasnt on the list. It reality there is nothing wrong with the Marlin except its not a Winchester.

I have a lot of guns, fancy target rifles, to some that are just So So, but still my (Wife's) Model 94 Saddle Ring Carbine (made in 1929) is a pure joy to shoot.

Everyone has to have a Thirty Thirty Lever gun, its the law, or should be.

"Everyone has to have a Thirty Thirty Lever gun, its the law, or should be."

I'll concur on that one...

My first good deer rifle growing up back in Minnesota was a M94 Winchester in .32 Special. My oldest son has that now, and it was, and still is, a very accurate shooter. My youngest son has a M94 in 30-30, and it too is spot on accurate. Both those rifles were built back in the mid-fifties; classic old lever guns, classic old Winchesters.

Up until a few months ago, I did not have a 30-30 in my arsenal. I now have 2, both 336s, one built in 1962, the other in 1953. My next oldest brother found a 36A model Marlin at an auction not long before I found my two Marlins, and his is a 30-30 also. He got me started on my quest for a good 30-30. I shopped gunbroker for a good long time looking at all the vintage models offered, and selected the two I have now. They will go to my grandkids, but not until I have my fun with them ;>) .

The one built in '62 has micro-groove rifling, and it wears a 4x Leupold compact on it, and is superbly accurate (m.o.a. @ 100 yds doing my part). The one built in '53 has the Ballard rifling, wears just the barrel sights (not drilled and tapped), and even with my old eyes, I can keep my shots well under two inches @ 50 yds. consistently. That may not sound like much, but to me, that's pretty big. I can also mess with cast bullets with the Ballard rifling, too; looking forward to that.

With my handloads, I'm having more fun with those two Marlins, and wondered why it took me so long to play with the 30-30. Reloading components are so readily available, and so easy to reload for, along with being so easy to shoot on cost, and on the shoulder. You just cannot beat a 30-30 lever gun, be it Winchester or Marlin. Personally, I'll take the Marlin these days (my vote), and an old vintage one to boot. Shop around and find a good ol' 336. Just an old guy's opinion... Have fun deciding on your quest!

BTW, I forgot to mention that BOTH of those 336s I found on gunbroker were just a tad over 400 bucks each, and that cost included the shipping and FFL charges. Those good ol' Marlins are still out there, and lots of 'em to choose from besides. And again, good hunting, on hogs and guns!

My vote would be for a lever gun in either a 44 magnum or 30 30. Unless you live in bear country, the 45 70, although a great cartridge, the rifle is heavy, recoils hard, and ammunition is expensive. I own its little cousin the Marlin 444 and the above is pretty much true.

BTW, I forgot to mention that BOTH of those 336s I found on gunbroker were just a tad over 400 bucks each, and that cost included the shipping and FFL charges. Those good ol' Marlins are still out there, and lots of 'em to choose from besides. And again, good hunting, on hogs and guns!

rienert i just picked up a Marlin/Glenfield 30-30 off GB a few weeks ago for $305+$50 transfer and shipping. Its a Glenfield model 30D with a half magazine and no cross bolt safety made in 1968. I had one of these years ago and with the half mag it would shoot groups in the 1" range with a scope on it.

I reload for 30-30 and have loads from 5grs of Bullseye and a .30 caliber round ball up to full power hunting loads and since a lever action cycles by hand a full power load isn't needed. I like that option over the semi autos. The ability to recover your spent brass is a big plus to me.

If you take the time to look a nice JM stamped Marlin lever action can be found for a decent price.

I'd take a lever over a pump rifle but it's hard to ignore sks for the cheaper ammo. If it was me I would go for the ever dependable lever in 30-30.

Yes ammo for thr SKS can be cheaper as long as you are talking about the steel-cased blasting ammo and FMJ bullets. But when you compare brass cased ammo with a good soft point bullet the prices are within a couple of dollars apart per 20 rounds.

But the odds are much better that you will be able to find the cases for the 30-30 when the cases for the SKS will be flung far away into the dirt and grass. Once you have the cases the rounds can be loaded for a fraction of the factory price.

But I do own three 30-30s and two SKS rifles so I like both.

ratshooter,

You sound like a 336 guy, so I thought I'd tell you a bit about my new/old Marlins. The one built in '62 is just a really nice standard RC model, pistol grip with the white spacers as you'd expect (and topped with the Leupold 4X compact). The older '53 model is stamped RC on the barrel, has the Ballard rifling as mentioned, but has a straight grip along with the old standard blade and brass bead on it (no ramp). From what I've looked up lately on the old 336s, it looks like a Texan, but without the squared lever, and of course, no saddle ring. As long as I own it, it won't be drilled and tapped, either. It's just a really cool old rifle that looks like it should live in a saddle scabbard. Really shoots fine, too. Great find for me.

What about an AR in 458 Socom? Big bullet. Decent speed. Uses AR mags. Just swap uppers to go between it and 223.

wQaK6xc.jpg

500 linebaugh

1 shot/ 1 kill

Does the "other" choice include "all the above"? :) Really, get whatever ya want, like, feels good to you, and what you'll actually practice with.

That said, I think one of the earlier replies nailed it with an AR-10 of some flavor in .308. Here's my reasoning:
You already have a shotgun, and with slugs, it should be able to stretch out to 100 yards or thereabouts alright. With buckshot, it should handle things up close & fast. So if you're gonna buy a rifle, I wouldn't bother with something that barely stretched your effective range. Get something in a real rifle round, that can accurately deliver smackdown way out there. A semi auto will greatly increase your chances of taking another piggy or two before they all run off, or deliver a quick follow up. And I think its advantages would be obvious in any kind of defensive role, especially when ya consider any aggressors would likely be armed with semi autos of their own.

Why the AR-10?
Honestly I'm not a big AR fan, even though I've got a couple. But the price range you mentioned rules out a lot of other patterns like the M1A, while AR prices are at rock bottom right now. The PTR-91 is another solid choice, but I think the AR would give you more flexibility on mounting optics or night vision later, and they usually cost a little more. The FNAR is worth a look, and would probably be more familiar to you if ya come from a hunting background since it's based on the Browning BAR hunting rifles, but you might have to shop around to stay within the budget, especially if ya want a whole pile of mags. For a long time they came with a MOA guarantee from the factory, so it should be a shooter. The FAL is known for rugged reliability, but not known for accuracy.

Rossi Circuit Judge in .45/.410

The factory sights are great, it's compact, easy to shoot, reliable, low recoil, low noise, it's light, easily capable past 100 yards, and you have the ability to run different ammo in it. Holds 5 shots, you can modify the stock and use a speed loader.

Single shots can be reloaded and fired quickly. You have to prepare for it but it's doable. If you fear having to fight a whole gang off, probably not the weapon of choice. But neither is half of the guns mentioned.

No for the 1894 in .44 mag

No for the 1894 in .44 mag. These rifles should have never been built for one reason. The `94 was designed for a bottle necked rifle cartridge.
If you have a .44 mag and cycle the lever slowly you can induce a jam that almost calls for dis assembly of the rifle. The cartridge can (and does ) slide under the lifter and lock things up tighter than be imagined.
The marlin rifles as well as a host of others are good to go in .44. Awesome rifles. Just be ware of the `94. `92's, you are good to go...

Not much you can't fix with 600 bucks and a 30-06. Actually, a short-barreled Remington pump with extra magazines is relatively foolproof, powerful, handy, and pretty safe. It's easy to load, fire and works great in both woods and home. I'd think about getting a red-dot mounted on it, or maybe a receiver sight, but it will do fine, especially if you have a pump shotgun.

Pumps are much easier to care for than semi-autos. I know several people who wouldn't part with theirs and they last about forever. Just practice on pulling back on the forend when you fire and they almost work themselves.

Pumps are often more accurate and trouble-free than semi-autos.

Back