Help me choose a .40 pistol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bk40

Taking inventory in my safe and reloading room, I find myself with a ton of .40 factory ammo and reloading components AND no pistol to fire it in. duhhh, sold or traded all of them. Must rectify this situation ASAP!

I've owned Glocks, S&W's and an STI in the .40. Do not want another Glock or Smith and cannot afford the STI. Intended usage will be home defense and maybe some IDPA. I prefer a minimum capacity of 12+1, so hi-cap mags availability is an issue.

Right now the Para-Ord P16 Limited is at the top of my list. Also considering the std P16, the Hi-Power (did they ever make hi-caps for the .40 HP?) and H&K USP. I prefer single actions, but am open to suggestions.

Any and all input welcomed.

Maybe I should go out and buy a box of ammo in every single caliber. Then I could use that as justification to buy a few more guns.

yeah, that's the ticket.
Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

[This message has been edited by Ben (edited November 08, 1999).]

how about a SIG229 or a Beretta 96 ( Mecgar made a 12rd mag for it if that one extra round is an issue) the high power in 40 caliber is strictly a 10 rd mag to my knowledege./ Para P16 is a good choice also let us know what you get G.R.

[This message has been edited by Glock Raider (edited November 08, 1999).]

bk40:

I strongly recommend the Sig "P" series, in particularly the P-226. The factory magazines are 10 round (10+1 in the pistol), although you maybe able to get larger capacity magazines.

The P-226, like all Sig-Sauer pistols, is an extremely high quality, reliable and durable weapon. Out-of-the-box accuracy is excellent. With a simple "barrel only" replacement, you can convert the .40 S&W to .357 Sig (and visa versa).

The P-226 is a full-size pistol. Sig also manufactures the compact-size P-229.

Many threads and many posters to TFL have celebrated the attributes of Sig's "P series". I believe they are correct and Sig automatics are among the very finest handguns in the world.

Check out the thread here on the new Steyr .40. Sound promising.

If you go the Para route, hi-caps will run you $80 at least. Dohhhhhhhh. Why worry about hi-caps... you won't need for IDPA. They're nice for defense, but costly. Of course, that's easy for me to say. I'll NEVER sell my Glock hi-caps!

HK USP is nice. very accurate, and can get a cocked and lock variant.

Personally, from what I've heard (from people like Wayne Novak's and Cyl & Slide), avoid the Browning HP in .40. Too hot for the gun.

I own a HK USP .40 and use it for home defense with a Tactical light attached. It can be carried DA/SA or cocked and locked.
It shoots better than anything in my inventory (PPK/S, G26, Sig P228)and if I had only one gun for home defense I would keep this one.
Go with the HK. You WILL NOT be sorry.

The P16 Limited is worth the extra from the Standard Model. I shoot it for IPSC and its good out of the box.

Also shoot a Glock 23, 13 shots, which can accept the 22 15-shot mags. Either the Glock or Para Ordnance are fine guns.

------------------
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel!

I have to strongly second the HK USP-40. You'll never look back.

CMOS

------------------
Join GOA, NRA, LEAA and vote.

Greetings, I agree with RWK, go with a Sig
"P" series; if you desire a .40 caliber,
why not the excellent P229? It's one of
four Sig's that I own !!!

------------------
Ala Dan

Sig pro is a very nice gun i would get one in 40. i have in in 357sig shoots great no problems with it.

I will concure with the others who have posted in support of the Sig P-series pistols. My personal weapon is a 9mm Sig 226 in two-tone. It is an absolute dream to carry and fire. I am not a big fan of the .40cal but the 226 or 229 make alot of sense. And for god's sake DO NOT let the single action yo-yo's tell you that you can't use a DA for competion. To master the DA just takes practice.

The only other choice, IMHO, is the new S&W99 (or the Walther P99), I think the S&W will be less expensive, anyway. These new guns have been getting quite a reputation for reliability and performance. Besides, if its good enough for Bond, it's good enough for me, (just kidding, don't get you're panties in a wad).

The Berretta's are also good choices, but a bit on the large side for practical use.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

I have shot the Beretta 96 "Border Marshal" version a few times, it has been a very impressive gun. Very accurate, very reliable. Comes with night sights, and its around $600.

Haven't ever shot a Sig, (sigh).

bk40:

As usual, a question like this solicits the opinions of us all. As long as you compare apples to apples then you can make a consistent and rational decision. If you vary from that format then you may as well not ask the question.

Personally I shoot the USP40-c. Concealment is my main concern and I won't be able to do with 13 rds. what I can't do with 11. The HK is superbly made, incredibly accurate and durable beyond compare. I have never experienced a failure with this weapon. With nite sites and the 135 gr. Cor-bon I feel very adequately armed.

All fine guns, in my opinion, are just like all fine trucks and all fine women. Fine is fine. All that matters is what makes it a correct decision for you.

First, the Hi-Power has only come with a 10 round magazine. In fact, in the pre-Crime Bill configuration, most .40 S&W pistols have 11-13 rounds in the magazine. The Glock 22 had a 15 rounder. The Para-Ord had a 15 too, but those mags (in non-LEO version) are rare.
In terms of finding one with your stated requirement 12+1, you should probably go for the SIG 229. Enough were out there before the Crime Bill passed, but you are still going to pay dearly.

My advice is to save your money and buy the 10 round versions. Next, you could save more money by buying a Ruger 94 in .40 S&W. I know Ruger is bashed incessantly on TFL, but I have one and can find no fault with it except that is is too chunky for concealed carry. Yet, you can also buy a Ruger police carbine in .40 S&W that uses the same mags and have a handy rifle-pistol combo in a modern high pressure caliber.

As usual, much good advice given - Thanks everyone!

I've ruled out the Hi-Power. I've owned several Sigs. Great pistols in every aspect... except I really prefer a single action trigger.

I've narrowed my choices down to the Para P16 Limited and the H&K USP. Two very fine weapons! Hard to go wrong with either, huh? I'm leaning towards the Para for several reasons. I really love the 1911 design, 2 16rd mags for $100 from factory and have seen new hicaps available for $75. How good is the factory trigger - never owned a series 80 type 1911. Not necessarily how light is the pull but is the trigger pull normally crisp from the factory? How good is Para's service dept?

H&K fans have made a strong arguement for the USP. Can be carried cocked and locked, I'm familiar with the torture tests its been through... How many rounds do the pre-ban mags hold, are these mags hard to find and what is the avg price per mag? Which variant allows for cocked and locked carry?

#1 Question. Which of these 2 pistols is going to be the most reliable and accurate, IYO and experiences?

Thanks everyone!

The SIG P229, best .40 out of the box, and the only SIG .40 you can still get hi-caps for. SHOTGUN NEWS has them!

The Browning .40 and P226 .40 both manufactured after the 94 BRADY BILL, you can't get hi-caps unless your a LEO, and one of the two is your duty weapon!

I guess your "STUCK" with the P229!

------------------
SURE SHOT

[This message has been edited by James Montes (edited November 10, 1999).]

My P16 has a crisp trigger with no creep, superb, don't know the weight, but it's every bit as good as my Colt Gold Cups. I love it.

BigG,

Thats the kind of info I'm looking for. Trigger weight is not nearly as important as trigger quality. Thanks!

The question about which variation is a cocked and locked HK USP is the Variant One.
These are it's features:
DA/SA trigger
Left side control lever
Manual Safety
Decocker
If you are left handed then get the Variation Two.
I have the Variation One and have many times tried firing it cocked and locked. Fast and accurate.
Look into my eyes :). Get a HK! Please post what your final decision is.
HK USP .40 s&w. You CANNOT go wrong.
Give in to the HK side of the force!

------------------
RONIN - samurai with no masters

You really can go wrong with the HK option.
but you have 4 more choices to make about the gun its self -
1. Full sized HE finish.
2. Full sized SS
3. Compact HE
4. Compact SS

And then you got to select the variant version.

Choose wisely.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back