Help me avoid dangerous reloading situation

TaxPhd,

Careful with the low powder charges. I have heard some terrible tales. W296 even warns against reduced loads doesn't it? I know in a bottle-neck cartridge there is a phenomenon that has occasionally been documented where the powder is thrown forward and when lit off acts like a shape charge to the rear. The circumstances are difficult if not impossible to repeat, but some of the old books warn against it. I've never heard of it in a short stubby case, like the .45 ACP, but still ...

Art, have you ever heard of this? Is it an old reloaders' wives tale??

sensop is absolutely correct. A minimum powder load can be far more dangerous than you might think. There have been several articles on the phenomenon called "secondary explosion effect" (Charlie Petty - June, 1997 Handloader magazine). It has been reported for rifle cartridges with slow powders, but I wouldn't want to test a pistol to see if it doesn't apply. I think a primer only load shouldn't cause any problems.

Thanks for the heads up, guys. Any testing will be with primer only loads, and a 200 grn. lead swc. I'll let you know how it goes.

Back