• 30/30

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • 44mag

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • a57mag

Votes: 24 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The 30-30 has 1300 ft lbs (again - with Evo cartridge) at 200 yds. The 44 has about 750.

You are looking at handgun velocities for the 44. Rifle velocities just about double the ME.

The 44 outshines the 30-30 up to 100 yards.

i have both the 30/30 and 44 mag winchester lever rifles. having one or the other would be good. push come to shove tho i would choose the 44 mag. why? the 44 mag is alot shorter making it better for close quarters. it also holds 9 rounds compared to 7 with the 30/30. shorter and holds more ammo makes it a better tacticle choice, at least in my eyes.

When thinking about home defense, you should consider penetration. A 30-30 will go through a few walls, not good!

The best home defense long gun weapon is a pump action shotgun with #1 buck, or just about any load including #6 or 9 birdshot, devastating at close range. (a famous African hunter decapitated a wounded lion with both barrels at once with his side by side shotgun. He had #9 birdshot in the tube).

If you must have a lever gun, 45Colt in a Winchester '94 trapper, or Marlin is my first choice. Big, fat, slow moving heavy bullet will put intruders down, and less likely to kill your neighbors child in the next apartment or house.

You might let price of ammunition settle the question for you. All three have their pluses and their minuses. I could not decide and now have a .357 magnum and a .44 magnum, both Marlin.

Hard to believe that only Hook had the most obvious answer - One of Each.
Passing up a really good reason to buy more guns?
You guys are slipping today.
Personally, I'd choose pistol caliber for sure.
The 30-30 might make a better hunting choice, under some circumstances.
But the .357 and/or the 44M are lots more fun at the range.

I'd vote .44 Mag for the OP's stated purposes. It's lighter, carries more rounds (than .30-30), great for short range deer-sized game, and can be loaded (typically down) for inside HD "better." The .30-30 in the short (16" "trapper") length can be a real unpleasant boomer and flasher/flamethrower. I also have .357 and it's great, but in the end the .44 is more versatile IMO. I don't use this type firearm to be a rangemeister with, so overall utility trumps most ammo cost considerations. IMHO, it's a popular misconception that .44 Mag--in popular/common loadings--has more felt recoil than the "typical" .30-30. They're different (.44 a comparatively sharper/shorter "cycle") but to me the .44 is a relative pussycat in the field, recoil charts notwithstanding (which is what folks like to quote but which measure force empirically, not felt. Neither is all that fun to shoot all afternoon with "full power" loads, but my nod still goes to the .44 in that department, especially if you factor in a shorter barrel. Weapon selection is crucial with the pistol calibers (particularly for .357). With my choice being Rossi (under a variety of importers over the years), then Marlin. The Win 94s were not designed for the short "pistol-length" cartridges, but seem to do "more ok" with the .44s than .357s, and of course best with .30-30. YMMV and I'm sure folks will chime in with their own good .357/94 reports. A poll of owners would indicate otherwise, if internet chatter is any indication. The 94 just doesn't seem to like the .357, comoared to other chamberings.

Take your pick between Win and Marlin on the .30-30...seems to be about a 50/50 world out there in terms of fans--with adherents on both sides having their own good points. I'm a lifelong Win fan with this cartride, but would not be averse to owning a nice older Marlin 336. Make mine the standard 20" carbine in either for the best compromise of capacity, handling and shooting.

Sum up - .44 16" trapper" in your brand of choice. I have both lengths and would take the 20" as my one and only, but the OP mentioned the shorter lengths for his focus and the trapper .44 is a handy little popper.

Last edited:
Lot of good responses and as you can see, with pros and cons to all three options, it just depends on what issues are most important to you.

I own a Marlin 336 XLR in .30/30 Win - by far the better choice imo in regards to accuracy and power beyond 100 yards. However, it's not as versatile to me as the .357 Mag chambering of the various Marlin 1894's that I own. I shoot the 336 more often than my Marlin 1895 (.45/70 Govt) because I can afford to shoot it more often. But I shoot the 1894's even more because of the same reason. .38 Special is the cheapest to shoot of them all. Since I like to shoot and I'm not rolling in the dough, these guns get the most range time.

If I had to choose one I would stick with the 1894 in .357 Mag because of it's versatility.

.44 Mag doesn't interest me because it is more expensive to shoot and doesn't offer me anything the others don't and I don't own any .44 Mag revolvers so to me there is no need.

I own one of each. Voted .44! :eek:
My reason is: 240gr can be very useful. 10+1 rounds and in a lever..... Great.
For HD, .357 would be second.....
The .30-30 is useful as the last choice for HD. For survival, another story. :)

Lateck,

Back