Help Identifying this old rolling block shotgun

Spet37

Good afternoon all,

New to this forum here and desperately seeking information on this old gun. See images below, review the images and you'll see why:

https://imgur.com/gallery/Bvrl7cB

What I believe this is is a Remington Number 1 Rolling Block Sporter Shotgun serial number 2 but I have no way to confirm. There's worn out engraving work done where the manufacturer markings would normally be.

Obviously this would be a huge find, because this would be a numbers matching serial number 2 gun. Can give the full story of how I've come to own and find out the information on the gun I have up to this point if interested!

Do they have any documented history of carrying a rolling block shotgun?

If this is a British military firearm I'd just be more confused about what this thing is.

I don't think so. They had the Martini-Henry and judging from the stock, it may have belonged to an officer of the 40th. I'll have to check my books to see where the 40th served.

Wouldn't it have British Military war department acceptance stamps on it if it were British Military? My Martini Henry has war department stamps all over it.

I suppose if it were an officer gun it could have been privately owned and wouldn't necessarily have WD stamps.

I have not seen a Remington Rolling Block with that curled back shotgun style trigger guard. The breechblock tab looks odd. The hammer spur looks replaced, no help there.
The receiver is very rounded. There is a step in the receiver ring not on the one I found a picture of.
I’m thinking European copy.

If it's a copy or licensed rolling block any way to figure out the manufacturer? I have a hard time buying kyber pass copy. The screw threads and pins seem to be interchangeable and as far as I know a kyber pass gun from this period would have had hand cut threads.

The little dots on the receiver reminds me of the Islamic style of decoration. So does that flower on the stock.

If the English had engraved it, it would have been very tightly engraved rococco that characterized late 19th Century English engraving.

Ditto with the other inlays. They don't scream "English" to me.

If it was a real Remington Rolling Block, it could have been "product improved" by some Indian (there was no Pakistan in the 19th Century) somewhere in the Kyber Pass.

Fair enough, the guy at the gun shop I bought it from said they thought the engravings were Native American.

Parts like the receiver and button plate I can see clear machine tool marks as well, which I don't think would be on a kyber pass gun?

I could by it was a European clone that somehow made it's way to India and was engraved out there, but I've spent some time in a machine shop and would like to think I'd know machine cut parts when I see them. To me the receiver looks forged then clean up cut on a mill based on tool marks I see. Threaded holes also look nicely tapped. I wouldn't think entirely kyber pass built guns would have this level of manufacturing sophistication.

Back