Help Identifying Oberndorf Sporter

From what I can tell, all the markings on the rifle add up to 8x57J, particularly the "8,0 N" markings that designate the 8x57J. I know rifles could be ordered in non standard calibers, so it's possible to have them in other calibers. I also found reference to another B with a 79xxx serial that was dated to 1914, so that would put it before the 8x60. Those chambered for 8x60 seem to be clearly marked as well. I'm going to take it to a smith to deal with that butt pad, so I'll see if he can cast it too.

Last edited:
The bolt handle has been lowered and the bolt has been engine turned. The low bolt handle suggest plans for mounting a scope with US made base. I'd also suggest doing a chamber cast. What it was does not guarantee what it is now. It was not unusual to have bring backs rechambered to 8mm-06. Might held to slug the bore. Was not Waffenfabric Mauser a pre-WWI marking? What's the chance of part of the marks being scrubbed?

Too bad there are no case formers involved. It is not that I struggled but forming cases was difficult until I got up to 16 forming dies, The best forming dies I have are for chambers I do not have. And then there is the 308 W forming die, that one is a money saver because it is short. My second most favorite forming die is the 243 W forming die.

Casting a chamber: Because my methods and or techniques are so different from the internet method which is; "you need to case your chamber" I will avoid angering members.

F. Guffey

That case method is a good way to get your butt blown into the bushes. Enjoy the ride.

What method?: case method?

Shooting a cartridge 3MM too short would be a serious headspace problem. The book also stated a .315" bore so slugging the barrel might not be a bad idea.

Shooting a case in a chamber that is 3MM short escaped your notice, I built an 8MM06 and fired 8MM57 ammo in it. I know, I have heard all the horror stories and I do not recommend the practice but there has to be something and or a lot about the Mauser reloaders do not understand.

The 8mm57 round is .127" shorter from the shoulder to the case head than the 8MM06 chamber when measured from the shoulder to the bolt face. .127" could be considered 3MM.

When I extracted the cases after firing the cases came out as 8MM06 cases with very short necks. I know; no one understands what that means; what that means the case did not make the big rush for the front of the chamber and the shoulder of the case never made it to the shoulder of the chamber. Meaning? The firing pin did not drive the case forward when it struck the primer.

The shoulder on the fired cases was not the same shoulder the case started with, the old shoulder became part of the case body and the new shoulder was formed from the neck and shoulder.

The case shortened from the end of the neck to the case head but got longer from the shoulder to the case head.

F. Guffey

That case method is a good way to get your butt blown into the bushes. Enjoy the ride.

Hatcher reamed/increased the length of the chamber by .060"?. He used 30/06 ammo in his new creation, he did not have case head separation nor did he experience catastrophic failure and the firing pin did not drive the case forward to the shoulder of the chamber when it struck the primer.

F. Guffey

I stand by what I say. Chamber cast is the way to go. This case business is voodoo reloading.

Chamber cast is the way to go.

I said I cast chambers; my methods and or techniques are different. I said I form cases for unknow chambers. I have also said I measure the length of chambers without head space gages, I make no apologies because it is something I do. I do not believe it is difficult because when it comes to measuring the length of the chamber I can measure the length of the chamber three different ways without a head s pace gage. The last time I was accused of voodoo reloading was on the shooters forum. A moderator removed my post claiming I was going to get someone killed with my voodoo reloading. I said nothing but in a few months he did a cut and paste of my responses claiming he was the author; he started with "No biggie, I do it all the time etc. You have to understand he was not trying for respect.

F. Guffey

I'd complain or let Unclenick know about this travesty. It's unbelievable that somebody would so plagiarize your best thinking. :eek:

Back