Help identify really short Mauser

[QUOTEQuote:
a full power 8x57 out of that 16 or 17'' barrel must hurt!

Quote:
Wouldn't recoil be less?

IME, a shortened barrel has more muzzle blast and more recoil because it's shorter and lighter. Even though muzzle energy is lower, recoil is higher. ][/QUOTE]

I agree even though you'd lose velocity, the recoil may be a bit more due to a lighter rifle. I don't think factory 8mm Mauser loadings are going to be much in the recoil dept. however.

The stock is (tiger striped) WALNUT. One of the most beautiful I've ever seen - especially on a military rifle. Old growth wood, available in Europe before WW2. Sadly, WW2 consumed most of the really nice walnut there, so there is very little of it, with THAT kind of figure, to be found now. Of course, there is lots of walnut around - replanted after the war. But, wood with THAT degree of figure is quite rare.

I'd buy the carbine just for the stock.....if I had the chance.

Hi Guys,

I didn't see a introduction page, so I hope I'm not breaking protocol, This thread is how I found this forum, I have a Mauser that is very much like the one posted in the OP (but not near the condition). However I am missing the hand guard.... ( I've had it for 20 years and haven't found one at any gun show).

It came in on a trade and I was told at the time it was a Belgium Police rifle, but they were also used as Tankers. I am at my Sons house babysitting the Grandsons. But I will post pictures along with all the markings a little later, Maybe this will help shed light on this rifle.

Thanks for having me on this Forum.

Last edited:
Harmsway,

You would be better off starting a new thread with photos. It would get more attention. Make your title what your question is, and see who can help you. Welcome to TFL.

Thanks Winchester 73, I am just figuring out the lay of the land here..... I'm not very knowledgeable on Mauser's, I am mostly a 03', 03-A3, And Garand guy.

As Winchester 73 suggested, I will start a new post on this rifle, But for the sake of continuity,.... I thought I would post up some pictures of this rifle with the markings here, to see if there is indeed a connection....

BelgumFNpolice001.jpg

BelgumFNpolice002.jpg

BelgumFNpolice005.jpg

BelgumFNpolice003.jpg

Last edited:
This is my identical K98 short Mauser, like the one featured in the first page no markings other than Mod.98, no stamps, identical corrugated buttplate, most likely from the same batch. Any idea who made it and when ??

It's built like a prewar Mauser banner, highly polished, with receiver rails in the white, tight wood to metal fitting and very very smooth operation...And the stock.....
Anyone interested I have a full set of photos which I can email to you, I'll do that with great pleasure, can only post 3 here !!!
Thanks for any info

Marco

Attachments

• DSC_0016.jpg
    DSC_0016.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Rifles marked "Mod 98" on the left receiver rail began life as WWII-era German military rifles (K.98k's). Many, of course, have been altered to some degree since 1945.

The second rifle is a Venezuelan Model 24/30 Carbine, made on the intermediate action by FN in Belgium. It would have originally been in 7x57 caliber. The stock does not appear to be original.

Jim

This looks exactly like the FN (Belgium) made post war dutch police rifles, models "Wilhelmina" and "Juliana".
However they were marked on the receiver ring with a Crested "W" or "J".
Beautifully finished, issued to the dutch police, I shot one about 30 years ago.
I still remember the kick. Very uncomfortable.
I'll stick to my plain jane swedish mauser with nail driving accuracy.

Back