HELP! I need advice with my Ballistic Vest.

Lots of good advice here. I can't believe that someone would care about what's essentially an undergarment. If you somehow end up on the losing side of this situation and still want to keep your job, I would suggest looking at some kevlar t-shirts. While they won't provide nearly as much protection as an actual ballistic or stab vest, they will protect against most knife slashes. You'll be out of luck against firearms, but it sounds like knives are your main concern anyway. I have one and they are no thicker than a regular shirt and certainly won't be noticed even if someone touches you.

msmith81,

Yes there are some good opinions that have been expressed BUT, get some answers and possibly some backing before you go toe to toe with the idiots you are dealing with. Remember the old adage "don't ask the question unless you know the answer first" sort of applies in this case.

What I would suggest is to call the National Labor Relations Board, or if I'm not mistaken, each state has a Labor Relations Board. Talk with those people and see where you stand in their opinion. They have attorneys on staff who do nothing but labor issues. If they agree with you and also with common sense about you wishing to protect yourself in a method that is not visible and certainly not offensive, you couldn't ask for a better group to help you.

Good luck

Apparently, I'm an overpaid human punching bag in their opinion.

If you stay, and don't wear a vest, you are confirming that opinion. The minute the boss made derogatory comments to students about you, the administration undermined any authority and respect the students had for you, making your job MUCH harder .......

The Military pays better, I'd bet, and has better benefits, I am sure, and probably has a better work environment....... you might look into that.

Wow, a big thanks to everyone who has responded. I am very appreciative and overwhelmed by all the advice and support I have received here. I fully intend on researching any move I make before I make it. They picked a losing fight with the wrong person. I am very thorough and intend on crossing all the T's and dotting all the I's before I stick it to them. This forum has been a fantastic place for me to accomplish this by picking other peoples brains. It's nice to know that I'm really not some lunatic, and that I am supported by the general public.

boomboomthump - Thanks for that information! I didn't know that group existed, and I will definitely give them a call.

msmith81,
Your story reminds me of something that happened to me back in my kindergarten/1st grade days.
I decided to get a lock for my locker because I thought it would be a good idea. Our lockers were all unlocked and free to open by anybody. After a day or so the teacher gave me some BS about why I needed it and that no one else had one/needed one. Because I was just a little kid I wasn't able to realize the drivel that was coming out of her mouth.
Moral is, I guess, your bosses are idiots. Fight for the vest and update your resume. You just might get canned for being a minute late for your shift and they won't have to be tortured with your common sense anymore.

dave

msmith81 said:
No, I am not a sworn officer. I am employed by the district and our title is District Resource Officer. In addition to a handful of us at each high school, there is an assigned "sworn" School Resource Officer employed by the local sheriff or city PD, paid for by the school district budget. There is quite a bit of gang activity and drug activity on our campus', and we are one of the largest districts in our state. I appreciate being able to work side-by-side with PD, but the reality is that we are typically the first to respond to incidences, intruders, weapons and drug searches, etc. long before PD ever gets involved.

How's your relationship with the PD? I'd suggest bringing the PD in on the discussion and, if possible, pre-prime them to support you and hopefully to proactively recommend that resource officers should wear vests when on duty.

Well, good news. I Just got off the phone with our Director of Safety, and it appears all the big wigs in the district seem to think wearing a vest is a prudent measure, and they are now pricing out equipping all of our guys with vests. Especially considering that it appears two of our high school students were shot in a drive-by shooting on Saturday night. Even though this took some pushing for, maybe my pushing for vests will save someones life one day. I appreciate all of the support and input I received here.

Thanks!

Yep, It won't be no time and you will get to stick your thumbs in yer ears to make wiggling "Moose antlers" and blow big ol' elementary school style razzberry at that pricipal feller!:D
Brent

Well, good news. I Just got off the phone with our Director of Safety, and it appears all the big wigs in the district seem to think wearing a vest is a prudent measure, and they are now pricing out equipping all of our guys with vests. Especially considering that it appears two of our high school students were shot in a drive-by shooting on Saturday night. Even though this took some pushing for, maybe my pushing for vests will save someones life one day. I appreciate all of the support and input I received here.

Thanks!

Glad you can go back to work with more peace of mind. On the down side it took two kids getting shot to realize that a vest would be a good idea?

msmith81 said:
Well done.

It's a sad commentary that it takes a major dust-up and a couple of kids being shot to cause "management" to do the right thing. It should have been a no-brainer.

Unfortunately, the shooting of the teens this weekend was what helped to drive my point home. The email I received specifically said "In light of the shooting over the weekend, wearing a vest seems to be a prudent precaution". I can't wait to wear my vest at the high school I got so much flak at. I am going to feel very vindicated, not only because the administrator won't be able to do anything about it, but my co-worker that outed me told me he would never wear a vest and now it looks like there is a good chance he might be required to wear one. Take that suckas!

I used to have the same job as you and I wore my vest every day. I paid for my own as well and was thinking the same thing. I have a few different jobs in security and I always cover my chest. One supervisor I had said I'd need to get permission before wearing it on duty. I questioned him as it wasn't like I was planning on bringing a weapon to work that I wasn't allowed to have. I then told him I wanted it in writing that I wouldn't be allowed to wear my vest to work at my security job. When he asked why, I said "in case I ever get shot, either me or my family will sue you blind. The company and you personally." He backed off and said it would be ok.

Sounds like a hostile work environment to me. (In the EEO sense of the term)

Vest aside the above statement is your line of attack. By mocking you to the sturdy body he has created a hostile work environment and engaged in Harrasment. See your HR manual for how to report it. Most likely it will involve his superior. You may also want to consult a lawyer.

Back