Help for Iver Johnson 38 hammerless

darry333

Inactive
Hello,

can someone help me please?

what is that for a revolver,

I mean the year of manufacture ,

and what a kind of ammunition can i shooting ?
Perhaps here are some professionals, who can help me ?

and excuse me for my bad english ;)

13808210bo.jpg

13808211ph.jpg

13808212lx.jpg

13808213xb.jpg

a more complete serial number will help with the year, & help determine if it is black powder or smokeless... I have a US Revolver ( Iver Johnson built them, & it looks just like yours ) if I remember correctly mine is a smokeless era gun... on the Ivers, the direction the owl is facing is supposed to indicate, but the grips interchange, so that's not a fool proof method...

it should be 38 S&W, & perhaps 38 S&W long... I handload for all mine...

mine is the top gun on the right side in this pic...

attachment.php

That is the Third Model Hammerless and dates to 1918. It should be OK to use factory .38 S&W (not .38 Special) cartridges.

(MWM, there is no .38 S&W Long.)

Jim

OK... I could be wrong, but if not, would you like me to take a picture of the factory Remington 38 S&W long box I think I just put in my ammo bench ???

I load almost exclusively 32 & 38 "Shorts", so I guess I just assumed they made a 38 S&W long??? if I didn't "think" wrong I have a box of longs in with my obsolete ammo...

many thanks guys for your reply,

I just received an email about this revolver

here's the answer :

You have an Iver Johnson Safety Hammerless DA Revolver, 3rd Model which was manufactured from 1910 to 1941. There are no records available to match the date of manufacture with the serial number. The patent date shoulc read: Nov.17, 08.

The Safety Hammerless was chambered in .22 rimfire, .32 S&W and .38 S&W calibers

And if you're looking for professionals, you're in the wrong place.

But there are some very knowledgeable gun buffs here.

Bob Wright

as I said... I could be wrong, but just handled a bunch... if I'm wrong... sorry guys... if I remembered correctly, I'll get a pic as soon as I can ( working right now )

There is no such animal as the .38 S&W Long, However, there are boxes of .38 S&W that are labeled .38 S&W Long, just as there are ammo boxes labeled .45 Long Colt.:D I remember that I posted that fact one time and the reaction was " OK, and what have you been smoking or drinking:D "

Last edited:
Magnum Wheel Man:

While you're at it, would you identify the revolvers, on the left side in your photo. First the one with the Roper (?) style grip, and square butt? Then the bottom one that looks like some kind of Webley Bulldog, or RIC revolver?

Neat display, by the way.

Bob Wright

no problem... the "roper grip" I assume is 3rd from the bottom on the left ??? that gun is a Hopkins & Allen Safety Police in 38 S&W... & yes, the bottom is some kinda Webly styled bull Dog... I still could do a little more research on that one... the bore is like 455 or similar ( been a while since I played with that one, if I remember correctly, it has Belgian proof marks )

so bear with me, I've been hanging them on the walls, & there are a lot of them...

left side...

Hopkins & Allen Safety Police in 38 S&W
S&W Lemon Squeezer in 38 S&W
Hopkins & Allen solid frame with folding hammer & loading gate in 38 S&W
Webly look a like

Right Side...

U.S. Revolver in 38 S&W
Secret Service Special engraved in 38 S&W ( rough )
Hopkins & Allen blued with MOP grips ( black powder vintage ) in 38 S&W
Harrington & Richardson manual eject in 38 S&W
don't remember the maker, but 44 American Bull Dog in 44 Bulldog

these are not in 38 S&W... most are 22's & 32's...

attachment.php

bottom right in this pic has a few collectors as well... one of my prizes is the functional Sharpes & Hankins pepper box...

attachment.php

Last edited:
eeehhhh... there just a bunch of old antiques... nothing to worry about ;)

last pic is all single actions, but the 1st couple are all antique double actions... there was a lot of innovation in guns of this era... I have a black powder cartridge Iver Johnson snubbie ( they called them bicycle guns LOL ) that has a trigger safety almost like the Glocks...

Thank you... & BTW... I stand corrected on the 38 Long... I had both a factory 32 S&W Long, & a 38 S&W Remington box in my hands at the same time... sorry about any corn fusion

Magnum Wheel Man:

what for smokeless ammo you shoot with your Iver Johnson .38
Hammerless ?

I find no suitable ammunition for this :confused:

tmccar1665

I have the IVER 5 shot 38 hammerles ser no 53612 I found in my dads things.

A friend checked it out at a crime lab. Good weapon.

Back