Help finding aftermarket stock

Stagpanther I think that is one of the benefits of solid copper. I'll be staying in the 130 or less range. Barnes or Hammer
I'm not even sure if Weatherby still markets the 150 gr select partitions any more; but I've shot quite a bit of it--although I haven't personally taken game with it--I've found it it to be outstanding in velocity, practical hunting point blank range and accuracy. :) Because of its capability I'd watch out for possibly over-driving light bullets; but that's just a hunch.

Fully decked out magnum Mark 5's--scoped, ammo etc usually is around 8 to 9 lbs in my experience but balances and handles the power well IMO. I had a lightweight 300 wby mag and while I have no problem taking the recoil impact of that cartridge it was like shooting a Mexican jumping bean to me.;)

Last edited:
Stagpanther I agree with your concern about over-drive. I am loading my own ammo and have some work to do. I'm actually going to the range tomorrow to do just that. I'm thinking Nosler partition below 300 and Barnes further out. What do you think? Does than dovetail with your experience?

For sure the 130 to 150 gr will anchor most NA big game out to 300 yds I would think. Something equivalent to the Select grade of 150 partitions zeroed for 200 yds works perfectly for a hunter friend's rifle that I've shot and worked on--they always fill their tag and shoot in the 200+/- range. I would be perhaps a little concerned about a high velocity light weight solid lasering through a soft game at closer ranges. Nosler and Hornady both make solids that promote opening so that might also be an option. Full disclosure--as I said I haven't dropped game myself with it--but have done extensive shooting with it and prepped hunting friend's rifles.

Last edited:
Rex Rugged said:
I'm thinking Nosler partition below 300 and Barnes further out. What do you think? Does than dovetail with your experience?

You need to flip it around. In my experience Barnes TSX/TTSX need more impact velocity than a Nosler Partition to work properly. The Partition is a pretty soft bullet that opens well at lower speeds but because of the design it works at high velocites as well. However, I've never had Partitions shoot well enough to use as a long range bullet.

If you want a Barnes bullet to work at longer ranges well you need to use the LRX bullet, but the 155 grain .277 bullet needs a 1:8 twist to work. This option probably only leaves you the 129 grain to work with, but they are reported to work down to 1600 fps for proper expansion.

Rex Rugged said:
Still this gun is going to weigh about 9 lbs Good for accuracy, bad if I have to trek a good deal.

I was wondering how do you have your rifle set up? What optic, rings/mounts, and bi-pod are you using? I'm thinking a 9 lbs rifle isn't bad, I successfully hunted elk with an over 10 lbs .308 suppressed a couple of years ago. I now have a 7 lbs suppressed .308, but it's very hard for me to shoot consistently well. Without the suppressor it weighs 6 lbs and almost impossible for me to hold a group under 2 MOA because of recoil.

Carbon Fiber stock

Make your own Carbon fiber stock. I made one for a CZ 527, it weighed 28 oz. I believe I did a write up on it here. I'll have to look.

Last edited:
Make your own Carbon fiber stock. I made one for a CZ 527, it weighed 2 pds 2 oz. I believe I did a write up on it here. I'll have to look.
I read someplace laying your own carbon fiber on a form isn't all that hard--but getting it cure so that it can resist stress fracture from impacts is something else entirely. How has your's held up? I'd be very interested to see your writeup.

I looked and can not find the photos used in the write up. The stock is the same today as the day I finished it. I sprayed it with duro coat clear to protect the epoxy resin from the UV rays. It has held up well. The rifle is either in my truck or by the back door for shots at coyotes. I started a second one but never finished it. I made the second mold out of liquid silicone. I think I laid up one side panel and the barrel channel. Never did the other panel. Went on to walnut stocks.

Back