Help finding aftermarket stock

Rex Rugged

I have bought a Weatherby Mark V Hunter rifle and would like to replace the stock with carbon fiber to lighten the weapon for hunting. My LOP is pretty short (13") and actually makes eye relief for my picatinny mounted scope an issue. I removed 5/8" from the Weatherby factory stock and installed a LimbSaver pad which works well and is very comfortable. I do not have to goose neck to use the scope now! When I contacted Peak 44 about their stock for my rifle they informed me they did not provide custom LOP stocks at this time. Does anybody have any suggestions for a company that can provide a carbon stock to suit my short arms. LOL.

Give McMillan a call, you can get an Edge fill.stock inlet for the Mark V. Did you ask Peak 44 if their stock could be cut down? They may not offer a custom LOP, but that doesn't mean the stock couldn't be made to fit.

Stagpanther I will try that, thanks for the suggestion. I would rather have the Peak44 stock since it is so light. Can't always get what you want I guess.

Stagpanther I will try that, thanks for the suggestion. I would rather have the Peak44 stock since it is so light. Can't always get what you want I guess.
It's manufactured to 13" LOP, made for MK 5 action and is carbon fiber; seems logical to look into to me. I've shot several top carbon fiber fly-weight rifles, simply not my thing but I can understand why people who do long treks for hunts want them. Actually, the people I know who are buying them are mostly out-of-shape olden-fartens (I'm a member of that club) with money burning holes in their wallets (not a member of that club).:D

Last edited:
For what it will cost you to buy a stock that will significantly reduce rifle weight you can just buy a lighter rifle.

For the "ultimate" in lightweight that pretty much boils down to CF stock and CF barrel--like a Christiansen--though everyone seems to be jumping on the bandwagon these days. The ones I've shot I was left with the impression I'd better be confident I'd anchor whatever I was shooting at with the first shot. That holds true with any rifle--I know--but I was left with the impression it was even more important with an ultralight. My less than 2 cents.;)

@jmr40, with a Weatherby Mark V usually mean they're chambered in Weatherby cartridges. So it's probably cheaper for the OP to buy a different stock than another rifle if he wants to stay with the same cartridge choice.

@Rex Rugged, give McMillan a call. They'll build you the LOP you want. I'd go handle a few Camilla rifles before buying the stock for your rifle.

This thread has been good for me. A lot of info. I appreciate that! The Rifle I have, a Weatherby Mark V 270 Magnum, has been my dream gun since I was young and I may be wrong in my thinking but with the scope of my choice, a lighter stock will offset the weight of the scope and bi-pod.

I agree the 270 WM is an absolute classic cartridge in Roy's stable--especially when they pair their ammo with partitions.
I'd go handle a few Camilla rifles before buying the stock for your rifle.
Probably a good idea--I guess it's possible there are other adjustments to the design to accommodate the female anatomy other than just LOP--though they mention it should be appropriate for shooters of smaller stature. I still think giving them a call would be worth it--Weatherby is top-notch when it comes to service for their hunter constituency.

Last edited:
Weatherby says it will not fit due to the Magnum action. I'm in no hurry but I am impatient for finding a solution. I'm starting to think McMillan may be the only solution.

Weatherby says it will not fit due to the Magnum action
Ah--I didn't bother checking the actual cartridges--while I don't think there is an issue with long action I guess they made Camilla to be specifically a narrower bolt face (and "powder puff" recoil :) )

McMillan isn't your only choice it was my recommendation as I've used there stocks.

MPI Gunstocks shows the MKV as an option.

Oregunsmithing Pendleton Stocks are rumored to be available for the MKV.

Then there is always the B&C Medalist, but it probably won't lighten up your rifle.

Is this the MKV Hunter you have? If so I think even going carbon fiber you'll have a hard time lightening up your rifle. It's listed at 7.3 lbs for the bare rifle and that is pretty light. I'd pull your action out of the stock and weigh it, first and then compare to what a light weight stock will weigh. If you're already under 2 lbs, your going to pay a lot for not very many ounces off what you already have.

Last edited:
I just received an announcement from Weatherby about this new product. I did a quick glance of the details (and cartridges it's offered in) and this rifle looks like it comes very close to being a marriage of the Vanguard's polymer stock and trimmed down barrel and fluted bolt to the proven beefy 6 radial lug design of the traditional MK 5 action (which can also handle the beefier magnum cartridges). The weights of this rifle are probably pretty close to as light as you can get with a MK 5 magnum action without spending hundreds--maybe thousands--to knock off what might not be more than another 8 to 16 ounces of weight by going carbon fiber exotic.

stagpanther I have absolutely no issue with low recoil if it helps with bullet placement, in fact I prefer such as that seems to me to be the point of the endeavor. LOL

stagpanther I have absolutely no issue with low recoil if it helps with bullet placement, in fact I prefer such as that seems to me to be the point of the endeavor. LOL
A stout 150 gr 270 Weatherby magnum on a lightweight rifle is going to have very respectable felt recoil--I've shot a lot of them.;)

The more I look into this--(with some help I've received here) I'm less enthusiastic about a new stock. Still this gun is going to weigh about 9 lbs Good for accuracy, bad if I have to trek a good deal. LOL

Back