Help deciding on a new Pump 12 ga shotgun

Juancts

I’ll be soon getting a new pump shotgun strictly for home defense.

My 4 contestants, in no particular order of preference:

1. FN P-12
2. Reminton 870 Police (no express models)
3. Winchester SXP
4. Mossberg 590 A1

I want this gun to be a keeper, so quality and reliability are a must.

I actually own 870 Wingmaster 28ga and Beretta O/U, but those bird guns are too, and I want to go 18-20” for home defense.

I’d appreciate your help !!

Last edited:
Win Model 12

Quality never goes out of style. There are a ton of model 12's out there that are not collectible.
A plain barreled 30" full choke gun is easily cut down and the bead reinstalled.

There are a ton of guns out there, if my foggy memory serves you have 5+1 capacity once the plug is removed. Add a sidesaddle if you desire.

Blued steel and walnut.

New Remingtons 870s, even the Police, are worthless.

Get an older used police trade in 870 and never look back. They are TREMENDOUSLY superior guns to anything coming out of the Remington factory nowadays, are way smoother than the new guns, and the parts are of real steel.

I’m just going to throw this out there because I sell guns at a Gun store. Best home defense Gun right now is the Mossberg Shockwave. Out of the .410, 20 ga or 12 ga., I’d choose the 20 for controllability. Good luck...

I shot trap for years with a Remington 870 Wingmaster, put over 50k rounds thru that gun. But...was an older gun when they were still well made. I always hated the safety and slide release on the gun though. So, now shotty duty falls to a Mossberg 500. I have 18 inch security barrel, 24 inch slug barrel and 26 vent rib for trap/sporting clays/hunting. All easy to find and affordable. Vang Comp Big Speed safety and a Magpul stock round out my rig and it's perfect for me now. Works flawlessly.
PS, another thing that used to bug me about the 870 was that loading gate or whatever it's called under the gun, that would snag a glove tip when loading the gun.

You left the Browning BPS out of the list. I've never owned one but having held one I know that it would certainly be on my short list.

Mossberg 590 or 590A1 is what I have. It is a great great gun for me. Go to the range and try out all different loads in it. I will say slugs are pretty harsh in this shotgun when using a telescoping stock. Anyway, I bought it used for $400 and in great shape too.

we have been using five rem 870 12ga express shotguns as loaners for out 4-H and FFA training and safety program for years with quite a few shots thru them at least several thousand cheap wally world shells after hearing about rough chambers we polished them with a drill with a very fine valve grinding compound to a high polish and they feed and fire and eject any shells, and we bought them at wally world for less that 200.00.

I already have a 20 year old 870 and a Mossberg 500 but if I didn’t my choice would most likely be a Maverick 88, that’s a lot of quality bang for the buck.

Strictly for home defense; Mossberg 500 Combo. Comes with 28" field barrel and 18.5" open cyl. barrel.
And can we please stop calling shotguns "shotties"? eeech.

"...no express models..." The difference between an 870 Express and a 870 Wingmaster is the finish on the metal and the stock. There's nothing special about an 870 Police other than the finish. An 870 is an 870.
However, you need to decide on a budget first.

Older Ithaca's are tough to beat. Having been up close and personal to the machining going on at the Ithaca plant in Ohio I personally believe they are as good if not better. All the metal is made on new, modern CNC equipment. The rib fastening system is better, the lug on the barrel is a better design, the wood is outstanding. Being left handed I have a few. Some from Ithaca, NY and some from Kings Ferry, NY. The Ohio guns are superior to Kings Ferry IMO. Hopefully someday I'll have an Ohio made one.

Out of the choices you listed I would say the FN P-12. Why ? Its got the shortest and quickest pump action out of all listed, its got a chromed lined barrel, its got a rotating locking lug bolt, its got a cantilevered optic rail that is integrated with the barrel meaning that removing the barrel will not affect your zero if you are using a red dot, and last but not least it takes removable chokes whereas some of the defense shotguns like the 590 a1 are just cylinder bore guns. Oh and also...it is an FN thats gotta count for something.

Back