Help choosing caliber for honeymoon elk

King453, If you build right you can do both but for true target LR rifle you want to build one.

Couple of my hunting rifle I shoot LR for my own fun. One is 280AI with 27" barrel,284 also 27" barrel and 30-06 with 26" barrel. I also have 243AI with 27" barrel.

280AI I use for elk same with 30-06 and 284 I can use for elk but like it for one of our early draw buck season here in Co that are above 10K.

You got the 8 twist barrel for 7mm now and I do post on LR forum and been testing the new Hornady ELD-X bullets in the 280AI and 284.

I don't shoot factory chamber rifles.

I've been married 51 yrs and wife hunted with me till about 5 yrs ago with a rifle and she shot 270 and did 280AI before me. She got chance to shoot one of Mel Forbes UL rifle back late 80's and that all it took.

Well I like the fact the OP handloads, but since he already has some rifles he could work up to snuff, I will be brief.
The .308 is fine for your new bride and you like the .280ai, those will definitely work fine, if you choose custom rifles it may take awhile to get them back, so like Taylorce1 posted, maybe look at those rifle makers who already offer those two rifles in the caliber you choose, and scope them with the brand you trust most, and then Practice Practice Practice!!!!!!
Good luck and Congratulations!

Back