help choosing a rifle

Cartridges I would look at are the .243 although I'm no big fan of the round, 6MM Rem. (Feel the same about it) .257 Roberts. .260 Rem. 6.5x55 Swede, 7-08 and last but not least the 7x57 Mauser rounds. The last is one of my favorites and the Winchester 140 gr. Power Point load is not only mild but accurate. The 7x57 is NOT loaded to it's full potential due to all the old weak 1893 and 1895 Mausers still around. If a reloader, one can take it all the way to 7-08 levels in a modern rifle like the Winchester M70 Featherweight or a Remington M700 Classic, should you be able to find one. Someone mentioned the .308 and it's a fine cartridge. I have several but if recoil is the problem then I personally think it might be a tad much. However, the only one who can make the final decision is you.
Paul B.

''thanks all, I think I am going to save a little more money and get me a savage axis. I have a few friends that have them, (all in long action) and they all praise them, the short action should be just as good, or so one would think.''
Good thinking, the ones I've shot-in for others, have all been accurate & reliable.

went to the shooting range this afternoon and seen and shot one of the new cva hunter rifles in 243, man it was nice to shoot, handled nice, and has the bergera barrel on it. very accurate to. His was new it was there first time shooting it, I had a custom built 6mm284 years ago for com petition shooting. I think with a good hand load this could be a hard to beat little gun, it was shooting .5" with a 5 shot group at 100 yds with factory 65 grain bthp. giveing me new hope for cva, I have used several of their muzell loaders. I shot it ten times without my shoulder pad, I was a little sore but that is it. good combo in my opinion.

i

CVA must have a new way of doing things. Either that or you found the best one they ever made. If they will all shoot 1/2 MOA I'll have to get one. I have a funny feeling they don't all shoot that good though;)

this could be true, but this one was a package with a kronus 3-9x40 scope, bought at dicks sporting goods. I am going to try one, will let you know how it goes.

Yea be sure and do a review on it for us with a range report. If they all shoot good and hold up I'd consider one of the compact models for a truck gun.

ok, will be getting on payday, friday of next week. does anyone have a good idea where to start on hand loads. should I start with smaller bullets or go for the 90-100 grainers.

I've always limited myself to neck shots or cross-body heart/lung shots on Bambi with the Sierra 85-grain HPBT. So far, so good; a couple of dozen and none went anywhere after I shot. Good coyote load, also. :) Ruinacious.

I load 37.5 grains of 3031 and mostly with Winchester primers. Probably oughta start at maybe 35 or 36 grains and work up.

55-grain for prairie dogs, although many use those on coyotes as well.

thanks. I found my old manual in my reloaing stuff from yers ago. going to build benches to hod all my stuff, I have collected a lot over the past 20 years. more stuff than room I am afraid.

An 85 gr Nosler Partition over 38 grains of W760 and a Fed 210 is a sub-MOA load in my wife's Rem model 7 .243. Very soft on the shoulder too.

The 85 gr Sierra HPBT Art mentioned is a very accurate bullet as well, I've used it some in a 6mm. Just don't plan on hitting the deer square in the shoulder. I consider that bullet to be better suited as a "coyote load" as well but with proper placement and waiting for the perfect shot, it does very well on deer.

I have owned several differnt calibers, I mainly hunted with the 30-06, but due to recoil I can no longer shoot it. I used a custom built 6mm284 and a custom 22-250 for target shooting. a 17remington and 22 hornet for varmint, and a 300 win. mag for moose, elk and bear. I hand loaded for each and I know there are a lot of 6mm bullets, and that is the smallest caliber you can use here in va. regretably in my 2.5 long years of fighting for my disability I sold all my guns but my 22 hornet. I am going back to the 243 (6mm) because I know it so well. I reloaded 243 for several of my friends target rifles, I am also well aware of it's capabilities. I have a friend that deer, bear, elk, and moose hunts with his, and has for years, and still does. I am now also seeing the 7mm-08, and have come to realize that it is a very efective round also, I just decided to stick with what I know.

I did not purchase the cva hunter rifle, I am up here in pa visiting family, dicks sporting goods would not sell it to me beacuse I did not have a pa, or ny drivers license.

Back