help choosing a rifle

scottbird

Inactive
hello to all, I am new hear and would like some input.
10 years ago

i had a work accident and I messed up my shoulder to the extent that I am now dissabled over it. I can't shoot the long action rifles anymore. this is going to be the first year hunting sense the accident. I am looking at a 7mm-08 or a 243. I hunt the back woods of southwest va and we have to use a 24 cal. or larger for deer. I do not know much about either caliber, always used a 30-06, had to retire it, I just can't take the recoil anymore. will accept any input. I am disabled and on limited income so price is a major factor.

I have both, and for you in your general area I'd recommend the .243. I dunno; maybe 25% less recoil than the 7mm08. IMO, the 7mm08 is maybe 10% less recoil than my '06.

The .243 is just as effective on Bambi; I've tagged a couple of dozen bucks with mine. Easily good to 200 and 300 yards, given adequate skill at shot placement.

+1 for the 243. For someone on a limited budget you'll find that 243 ammo is generally cheaper and easier to find.

What about adding a Limbsaver and reduced recoil ammo to your existing 30-06? The difference can be astonishing! If you handload, you can tailor your ammo; or purchase off the shelf "reduced recoil" hunting loads. And the Limbsaver makes a huge difference.

I load light "practice rounds" for my nephew and then he hunts with the "real deal"; keeps him on target during practice, without developing a flinch or pain.

Another option might be a Leadsled for some of your "practice" and sighting in and load development. Best money that I have spent in a long time was a Leadsled. We had four new 30-06 rifles that needed sighting in and they did not start out with Limbsavers. Add to the mix problems with bases, rings, scopes, and Leadsled is my friend!

Good recovery and health to you and happy hunting whichever way you choose to go!

+2 for the .243, it has perceptively less recoil than the 7mm08 ( 1.5-2 lbs on average). It doesn't sound like much but it's kinder on your shoulder & as previously mentioned, cheaper to shoot. The rifle choice is up to you but if your budget is limited, a Savage is about the cheapest choice for accuracy. Second Hand is O.K. as long as you can check for throat erosion, or know someone who can. All the best.

Take a look act the Weatherby Vanguard S2. Comes in both .243 and 7mm-08. It's a little on the heavier side, which will help reduce recoil. They come with a very effective recoil pad and the Monte Carlo stock is designed to help reduce the felt recoil of their heavier calibers.

Great trigger and guaranteed sub-MOA accuracy out of the box doesn't hurt either.

I thank you all for the information, I am looking at a cva hunter it is a new rifle, just came out this year. it is at dicks sporting goods the rifle and a 3-9x32 scope for $269. in 243 or 7mm-08.

can't seem to find much for reviews.

I'm going to go against the grain and vote 7mm-08.

1. Perceived recoil is only slightly higher with the 7mm-08. If that much is enough to bother you, then you can get reduced recoil factory ammo in that caliber.
2. 7mm-08 has much greater versatility when it comes to most game animals. You can get factory ammo up to 150grn or as light as 120 grn. Much better chance of a good pass-thru shot and blood trail with the heavier bullets that it shoots as opposed to the light-weight .243. Plus, it is a better option if you ever get a chance to go for something larger (elk, bear, etc.).

Those are my two favorite cartridges. You really can't go wrong with either one and neither is more "right" than the other.

A bad shot with the .243 isn't going to be a good one with the 7-08 and a good one with the 7 isn't going to be bad with the .243.

If you just feel more confident with one, pick it. If the recoil of the 7 is somewhat bothersome (be honest), don't pick it.

If you don't have a preference, roll some dice. If the dice picks one and you have a pang of regret, go with the other.

I got to shoot both calibers today, a friend of my wifes family ownes a sporting goods store and he let me shoot a couple of his private rifles. both were h&r single shots. I did not see much differnce in recoil, I wear a big shoulder pad to protect my shoulder. I must say I did seem to like the 243 in regards to better ammo avalability and price. I am pondering the thought of reloading though.

I still can't seem to find much info on the cva centerfire rifles, all I have heard is you either like them or hate them.

The H&R single shots aren't known for being great recoil suppressors so if you did OK with them, then you'll really do well with a better quality stock.

243s are fine but I only ever recommend them to experienced hunters/riflemen since the small 6mm bore leaves very little margin of error, but if you are very confident in your ability to hit heart/lungs in the field by all means get the small bore.
I think the 6.5mm-7.62mm calibers are better all arounders, my favorites are the 6.5x55, 7mm-08 and 308.

i am 40 years old, and a stroke survior:D i only have 20% on the right side(arm and leg) good. i suggest a t/c encore with 7mm-08 or a 243 win. if you reload 257 roberts or 6mm rem. if you do reload mgm barrels are the way to go.

I know the price is right on that CVA, but I have heard/read several reviews saying the quality and accuracy is just not there. If you want a break action single shot, I 'd recommend the H&R Handi-Rifle.

Also, that CVA only weighs 5.8 lbs. Even the .243 is going to kick more than you want it to in that light of a rifle.

If you can save a little extra and get something in the $350 range, The Ruger American, Marlin X7, are great rifles for the money. The Mossberg ATR ain't bad and I think they go for about $300 new

Here's one good reason not to get a CVA, among others. Do a search for CVA lawsuits and see what all you find. Not saying they are all bad, but there seems to be alot of bad ones. This is a muzzleloader I believe, but it's made on the same break action as the Hunter rifle.

Kohn_Kodiak.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for the info, they say cva has changed a lot here latley, but I found a nice used h&r 243 with a bushnell 3-9x40 scope for $300. is this a good deal??????

They are just $250-275 I believe, new without a scope. If it is in "like new" condition and the scope is in good shape it's worth almost what the seller is asking. I'd see if I could haggle a little and get it for $250. It's probably a cheaper Bushnell, I don't see anybody putting an expensive scope on a Handi-Rifle. Even so, the cheapo Bushnell Banner they sell at Walmart is a decent scope for the under $100 category. I have one on a Mauser and it has held up well so far.

If you are content with a single shot, go for it. Should serve you well as a hunting rifle.

Last edited:
I had a .243 Win Handi-Rifle and found it wasn't very accurate, averaging 1 3/4" groups at 100 yards with handloads, but prone to vertical flyers that widen groups to about 3" on occasion. I gave it to my grandson, who won't shoot farther than 100 yards with it.

Just worked on a .308 Win, Ruger American for a friend. Got the trigger down to 3.2 pounds and mounted a Leupold VX-2. I'm very impressed with the pillar bedding system and the trigger. We'll see how she shoots, but it seems to be pretty good design.

thanks all, I think I am going to save a little more money and get me a savage axis. I have a few friends that have them, (all in long action) and they all praise them, the short action should be just as good, or so one would think.

Back