HELP! Choosing a Beginners Rifle.

After along time away from shooting, I picked up a Bush AR15. Despite much of what I read here, never a misfire, FTF. 100% reliable-one long afternoon 800+ rounds.

Now I am playing around with different uppers, ammo, loads etc. Lots of fun!!! 1 MOA out of the box. Now, for my sons, the oldest is 9, the AR is a little too much. The .22's stock is tool long. Want a shorter stock, single shot, bolt action for them. Don't want to spend the farm on a rifle they will out grow the stock etc-they are growing like weeds!!
Any suggestions???? (worked way through BB guns, pellet guns to learn proper safety (been teaching gun safety for 3 years with them, they don't pick up the air rifle without immediately checking the safety etc) -ready for a rifle to shoot at the range with their dad).

I just bought my son a Remington 597 for $139 at Wally world. You get a $20 rebate so that makes it $129.
It's a nice light weight semi-auto but if I had the money I would have went with the Ruger 10/22. There are just so many ways you can modify and add to the 10/22 so that it advances with the shooter.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

My sons first is a Savage bolt action ten shot. Sweet little gun,
hope he lets me use it.

I know, it’s Canadian but so is the motor in my GMC.
Rifle and case cost $150 or a little less.

[This message has been edited by jeffer (edited April 20, 2000).]

I would take the Ruger 10/22. You can only load one round at a time for beginners.

Halffast

------------------
"I say that big talk is worth doodly-squat." Granny Hawkins from the Outlaw Josey Wales

Back