Help! Advice needed before varmint rifle purchase!

Might want to check your Cabela's for a Marlin X7 rifle in .223. Unlike the Axis, the Marlin comes with a decent adjustable trigger. Gent that's a fellow range member owns this Marlin in 223 and is quite happy with his, especially its accuracy. I own an Axis .223 and several Marlin X rifles in other cartridges. Prefer the Marlin.

Huffmanite Might want to check your Cabela's for a Marlin X7 rifle in .223. Unlike the Axis, the Marlin comes with a decent adjustable trigger.

The savage axis ii comes with the accutrigger and it adjust nicely and breaks like glass.

In a bolt action I think the CZ 527 is about as good as it gets for a 223, 204 or 17. Of them all I'd take the 223 and make sure they get you one with a 1-9 twist. They offer them in both 1-9 and 1-14
The 9" twist will allow for use of bullets up to 75 grains and these do buck the wind much better than the 50 or 55 grain bullets.

If you or your friend load your own ammo, one cool rifle to make up in a 22-250 re-barreled with a 1-9 twist. This is about the ultimate Nevada Coyote Rifle" for shooting long range. The 77-90 grain bullets from a 22-250 reach out about as well as any round you can fire with the exception of a 408 Chytac or maybe a 50 BMG, both of which are a bit more powerful than you’d generally like to use on coyotes.

There are a number of good smiths in the Carson City Nevada and Reno area who can do that kind of work. Probably some in Gardnerville or Minden too.

My all-around favorite coyote rifle is an AR-15 with a 1-8 twist and a match grade barrel. It doesn’t shoot as flat as a 22-250 but recoil is so light that getting a 2nd shot or even a 3rd is common if you miss your first. As a die-hard believer in accuracy and 1 shot kills I never thought I’d say that, but the last 10 years of using an AR have proven to me the truth of it.
I have hunted coyotes now for about 46 years and I never thought I’d give up on my tuned bolt actions, but ones I tried a highly accurate AR I had to admit it was a better mouse trap for coyote hunting.

In a good example the accuracy from them is eye opening. With 69 grain bullets its super effective on coyotes out to 500 yards (maybe farther, but so far that’s as far as I have used it) and the wind bucking of the round is good enough to work with. It’s not as good as a 150 grain boat tail 270 for example, but it also doesn’t blow huge holes in the hides and I have made a lot of money selling hides from coyotes I killed with my AR in the last 10 years of so.

With a 20 inch barrel and a free float tube a good AR can be made to weight about what an average bolt gun will weigh. If you would rather go a bit lighter you can turn a match barrel down to the old “pencil barrel contour” of the Vietnam War M-16 and still have a highly accurate rifle. Heavy barrels do not necessarily shoot better than light ones, but they do heat up slower and usually last longer for that reason. If we are talking about hunting only a light barrel will do all the heavy barrel will do. The key is to take the machining slow and easy and use a follow rest to prevent it from warping as it’s turned.
A match trigger and a free float tube should be used on all ARs that you want to make varmint guns out of.

Anyway……..just my random thoughts.

I know he was looking for something relatively cheap to shoot, lightweight to carry around, and relatively low on the recoil. Any suggestions??

When it comes to "cheap to feed" you can't beat the 223.

But that being said, cheap 223 ammunition isn't always the most accurate. But for coyotes, even 3 MOA ammunition will be good for a heart/lung shot out to 300 all day long.

I think a Savage 25 Walking Varminter is where I would start looking.

Jimro

As if you don't have enough suggestions already, let me add my voice for the .223.

It will work well on coyotes at reasonable ranges, out to 300 yards or so..

It has light recoil, as light as anything mentioned, except for the Rimfire's.

Comes in some "budget" bolt guns, as well as more expensive guns.

Ammo is generally available and not nearly as expensive as; .22-250, .243, .204, etc.

Regards,

Rob

A question, does it have to be a repeater?

Two single shots come to mind, the Contender/Encore and the Handi-rifle.

Now, the Handi-Rifles are budget guns, but the often shoot really well, and one in .223 would be light and easy to carry, and cheap to feed. You could even throw in a trigger job, IF its needed (sometimes, it isn't).

The Contender (or the Encore if you want to handle bigger/higher pressure rounds is more expensive, BUT, can be had in nearly any caliber you want, from .22 Hornet to .22-250 for varmint, and of course, larger calibers simply by getting another barrel.

Definitely needs to be a repeater in 223 for a varmint rifle. Don't get me wrong, personally I think it should be a law that big game must be taken with a single shot rifle (more sporting, better balanced, lighter to carry) plus if everyone hunted deer/elk with single shot rifles, I don't think we'd even hear about 400+++ yard shots at game. But for coyotes and other pests, by all means use a repeater.

Hmmm, that gets me thinkin' my #1 in 7mm mag would be like Thor's hammer on a coyote....may have to try it. Probably have results like Art with the -06, lol.

I will second bake with the 243 choice. Much better pick for windy places. Just recently shot my 243 at 450 yds and there was no noticeable windage problems where my buddy was shooting his 223 at same range and his moved a good 4-6 inches.

Back