Help a Newbie - Cap n Ball

No he just improved it. Actually there were some inline rifles made as far back as the 1840's but they bear no resemblance to modern junk.

I thank everyone for the input and array of knowledge shared. I will admit to not really knowing anything when it comes to black powder pistols, especially compared to all of you. However it's getting a little off topic from my original post so maybe its time to re-holster those ego's:rolleyes:.

It'd be nice to own an historically accurate BP revolver, but that day will come when I'm older. My intent wasn't to buy something and go to a war re-enactment with (although I do live about a mile from the Brandywine Battlefield....;)) I just wanted a big nice looking BP pistol to change up things in my safe, and at the range. I've never had the privilege of shooting a Cap and Ball Revolver and it looks like a lot of fun. Historically accurate gun or not I feel like it's a throw back to the firearm heritage of our country. I'm only 21, so I can't say I've been able to see, or even learn much of that history at all. I grew up around firearms, and tried many hobbies, sports, but always come back to my one true love (hope the g/f doesn't see this:D) firearms.

So maybe instead of arguing about the historical accuracy you can tell a potential new BP shooter how much fun it is, or how you guys got started into it. Don't get me wrong, I loved reading the good debating, and I probably learned more than I did in the classroom today, but it's kinda off topic?:)

It's a blast, you're gonna love the gun and hate it at times. Just shoot tha thang and have fun and don't worry about us old farts that maybe get too deep into the historical aspect sometimes.

us old farts that maybe get too deep into the historical aspect sometimes.

I'll have you know I resemble that remark!

Quoting myself:
The bp guns are for fun, pure shooting enjoyment, like no other guns I own. It's been that way for 30 years. If you're going to participate in a sport, you need find a way to enjoy it. Being satisfied with my skill level (practicing with the .22) and then shooting the boomers (the bp guns) is my way.
Yesterday 05:31 AM

I have a S&W .357 mag 3" Model 60 for personal protection. I have a Ruger .22 Single Six convertible for skill development and proficiency practice. And I have 40 black powder guns that I've built and collected over 30 years for fun. The bp guns don't have to work for a living like the Single Six and M60 do - they get to go play. I get to change every round if I want to, just to see what will happen, or if I can tweak it just a little better. Or I can load it up and make it turn heads, just for the fun of doing so.

I won't even try to identify a 'best' or 'favorite' bp gun. It changes every time I open the safe. I've been known to take 20 guns to the range because I couldn't make up my mind (didn't shoot them all, though someday I just might). I even enter bowling pin shoots and PPC matches with a bp revolver just to go shooting. Haven't gotten under 10 seconds on a table yet, so I don't even make the results listing, but I have fun (if you hit it, you never have to go back and knock it off the table with a Walker - it leaves of it's own volition).

Well, Smokin', I think I did say it right. Once the cut in the frame was made, it was not a Navy frame anymore; but, a prototype of the future 1860.

It was a Navy frame with a notch in it...like a .38Colt Kirst is a 1851 Navy conversion with a big notch cut in the frames loading Port. But it wasn't an 1860 Army even more.:rolleyes:

Making a single item isn't 'production', it's 'building'.

Tell me where you read there was only one proto type of the Colt Navy made in .44cal Mykeal. And it's called R&D Manufacturing or "Research & Developement Manufacturing". I "produced" Both Flight and R & D Tubopumps for SSME Main Engines. Even a Rocket Scientist calls R&D Manufacturing Production. (that's Space Shuttle Main Engines)
Fact is 1851 Navy Colts were made as prototypes. 1860's came out as a Result of an 1851 Navy retrofitted and test fire I am sure as a .44 cal Rev. Anyone could have had knowledge of this and converted one, Like Cooper Arms, local gunsmith, me if I were there.:D Anyway a Reproduction of that Prototype exists and Pietta is Producing them:eek:

SG

Good question, Hawg Haggen. There's this one (I think Pietta would market it as an early semi-auto)
http://collectorebooks.com/gregg01/coltrevolver/Lot-416.htm

2r5xjj9.jpg

To the OP. I was not trying to discourage you from BP shooting. I was merely pointing out that BP is highly corrosive. If you shoot the gun 1 time, then you will need to clean it thoroughly. Its not like a modern smokeless firearm. I've shot my 1911s and not cleaned them for weeks. Try that with BP and you'll see what I mean.

I was merely pointing out that BP is highly corrosive.

An undeserved reputation. I frequently go two or three days without cleaning mine. I use Pyrodex which is supposed to be more corrosive than real bp AND I live in the humid South. Also I only take mine completely down maybe once a year. I remove the cylinder and grips. The metal parts go into hot soapy water. The bore and chambers get patch cleaned. Once removed from water the action is allowed to drain and then gets sprayed out with WD-40 to displace any remaining water. Then it gets sprayed out with Remoil. Bore, chambers and cylinder pin get lubed with bore butter. After reassembly it gets a good wipe down.

Cleaning a BP gun is a sport in itself, as is casting your own roundballs. One thing I've learned about BP shooting - there are few absolutes. Some clean their guns all the time, some don't, some use lube, some don't, some use .451, some use .454 or .457. Some shooters like 777 or Pryodex - I like Goex. I clean my guns after every shooting session mostly because I've bought some older, used guns that hadn't been cleaned and the innards are in tough shape. Plus, I like tinkering with the internals.
Check out my latest purchase - it's a little complicated but not as bad as a Paterson.
2hdplbd.jpg

2irl0ew.jpg

That's pretty neat Pohill.:cool: I've sold most of my original pistols. I didn't have anything like that tho.

I had a 58 Remington made in 1862 and a single shot 45 but don't have pics of those.
These are the only ones I have pics of.
A .31 Bacon made in 1858
oldpistols007.jpg

An Allen and Wheelock .22 lip fire made in 1858.
AllenWheelock.jpg

I've still got some stuff from the 19 teens- 30's and a few shotguns and a three band Enfield made in 1861.

Nice guns. I was looking at an Allen & Wheelock recently but I live in MA and the store in Maine won't sell cartridge guns to MA residents, even though it's pre-1899.
A friend of mine, a history teacher, has an original Springfield that we shot last spring. He's at Gettysburg right now.
I can see the attraction of originals but I still like to shoot the repros.

I can see the attraction of originals but I still like to shoot the repros.

I know what you mean. I can tear hell out of a five gallon bucket at 300 yds. with my repro three band. Only thing wrong with that is the original shoots much mo better.:D

Cool!:cool: I like the way it sets off the car alarm.:D I've stood 50 ft. behind a three gun battery of 12 lb. Napoleans when they fired volleys(close enough to get hit with fired friction primers) and I've seen a 30 lb. Parrott rifle fired. That baby will shake the ground hard.

Back