Help a new coyote hunter

Well I sure don't want to eat a coyote if they taste bad but if you can use some part of them it is worthwhile isn't it? And well, I just think a coyote rug would be cool.

:confused: Seems some posts have been removed from this thread.

Anyway, thanks or the good info here. I've hunted coyote in the past with limited success. I've shot a few while deer hunting, but never while actually sitting and calling.
I'm planning on starting to do it more often, as it seems when I rabbit hunt, I see more coyote and fox tracks than bunny tracks on the farm.

I bought a quiver critter decoy
http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe..._Quiver_Critter_Decoy&aID=503AK3&merchID=4006

And this caller.
http://johnnystewart.com/Updateable/update_display.cfm?pageID=80&categoryID=15

One drawback I noticed on the caller is that it has no volume control on the remote. so I bought a small distressed rabbit mouth call for closer in.

One question is, where to put the electronic call. I've heard some say that I should put it 30-50 yards behind me. My thought is that is should be out in front near the small rabbit decoy I have.

Call placement

I've heard behind your location, ive heard beside the decoy.... It confuses me but i juat have a rabbit squealer type thing. It works but the coyotes are smart. You gotta change it up I guess...

I have a electronic call with remote, when I use the electronic call I place it about 40 yards to one side or the other of me.

I really don't use a decoy, however I did use a coyote that I killed and froze in a sitting position as a decoy and it worked great.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

I really don't use a decoy, however I did use a coyote that I killed and froze in a sitting position as a decoy and it worked great.

Now that is being resourceful right there brother!!:cool:

I recently patterned my Mossberg 12 gauge w/ 3" #4 buck. The mod choke shot tighter than the full with both Remington and Federal.

Williams Fire Sights that clamp to the vent rib will allow you center your pattern and aim better in dim conditions.

Back