Help! 44 leading!

Thanks for the new info--I will try it.
I am hearing good velocity and accuracy reports--357 wise---with Vihtavuori. They have seven powders which are all slow burning and real close to each other in the burn rate department......starting just like the old Herco powder and going to the ballpark of tried and true--H-227. Do you remember the once offered Winchester 630-P ball pistol stuff? it was about the time when the now Win-231 was Win 230------------
Fiocchi brand of 357 in the 148 grn jhp is hot stuff!
If you ever see any then grab it.
My winter project is to give the Vihtavuori powder a work out.
I understand it is not temperature sensitive and that will be right down my alley here.
I only wish we could buy a heavy roll crimp die 'just like' the ones Super-X used in conjunction with the real 357 ammo from the 30's thru 60's.........
Don Mallard

Don,

Your winter project is something I'd be interested in hearing about. Been wanting to try the V powders for a long time myself, but my dealer got this Ramshot in, and I've been so happy with it, I've looked no farther. :D

I'd be curious about the metering qualities and performance of any V powders you try?

I can measure flake powders like Unique and Red Dot accurately enough, but it takes extra effort, and still comes no where close to the accurate metering of True Blue, W 231, H110, or AA#5 that I’ve tried. That's a shame, because most of the Alliant powders are excellent otherwise. :(

I've not tried Fiocchi ammo in anything but 9X18 Makarov, and only then because it was given to me when I bought the gun. That seemed to be very good ammo, but I didn't have a chrono at the time to check velocity.

About the only time I shoot factory ammo, is when I've acquired a gun in a new caliber, and want to try it before I can get set up to reload that caliber. Some of my guns have never seen factory ammo, unless they were fired by the manufacturer, or bought used. :)

Bill

The first VihtaVuori I will test is their N110.
The last bit of DPS bolt test I did was with their N-140 for .308
I will use N-133 in my .223 bolt which I retained when I retired.
The N110 falls 'exactly' between the current 2400 and H-110/296.
Have you aquired a Harrell Custom Powder Measure yet?
The price is high --one time-- and then you will be satisfied when charging cases with various powders which have 'hung-up' on you before with a lesser quality device.
At any rate I can access any 357 load -factory or handloaded- in 50 rounds and if the N110 can equal or beat my years long load preferences then I will continue to be absolutely objective and I will adapt to it.
I thought H-110/296 was going to replace 2400 but it just isn't better.
I went to several ammo manufacturers during my comp handgun days for the inside tour. In short-- there is a very big difference between the performance of flake as opposed to the ball type -which I do like. The ball magnum powder takes into account for the 4" barrels which were not favored when the 357 was born. I had rather live next door to a handgunner who 'owns' a 357 with a 6" barrel than to own a 4" one! You simply cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear and you cannot claim to 'have' a 357 magnum if it is not the real McCoy--and---real full power ammo to shoot in it! There are more parts than the extractor rod and/or the forcing cone which will not stand up to thirty years of constant full power ammo with a smaller frame 357 revolver. That is not just a 'opinion' but a proven fact by our DPS and others across this nation............
The damage to the forcing cone is much more radical with the ball pistol powder and the pressure curve is absolutely different from the flake. I have access to a C.U.P. device and I will determine the literal pressure of the European powder. I assure you I can arrive at a accurate and factual finding.
I wish my friend Bill Jordan was still alive. I really loved to argue with him!
At any rate I will give you a unbiased report.
Don Mallard

Don Mallard:

44mag: 20.0gr N110 under 240gr. GDFP, winchester case, Federal large pistol primer= 1.5" 5 shot groups out of my SRH at 25 yrds, iron sights, double hand hold, free standing. I duplicated these results 3 times running.

I didn't have a chrono handy at the time, and don't have CUP equipment, but going by the books I have, it's a warm load.

LOOKING FOREWARD TO YOUR RESULTS!!!!!!

Ben,
Thanks a heap for that info---it has confirned my suspicions on the charge you mentioned. I know European shooters have been using it for some time and they indicate it is very consistant and not temperature sensitive......
Many-many- US powders are fine 'IF' they are not subjected to hot climate. I know for fact that certain powders, which perform well in say, Michigan, will all but blow the top strap off of the same guns when shot down South.
I just don't think many handloaders realize the danger(s) they are treading on when they approach near maximum loads-------
Most don't have a clue as to the integrity of various brands of brass either and that disturbs me for their safety as well.
If ANY handloader thinks the 357 brass made in Brazil is even close to the par of American made then they need to travel to our DPS Range-or any firearms manufacturer for that manner, and see just how 'dependable' that foreign junk really is!
I 'think' you understand the old Elmer 44 load calls for 22.0 grns of 2400 with a hard cast SWC----but did/do you know that 20.0 of the same powder-which reduces the CUP significantly- is more accurate and no animal will know he wasn't slapped down with the other 2 grns!
Oh well..................................
Don Mallard

Back