Hello, glad to be here... 7mm 08 ammo pick

It doesn't matter if you place last. At least you are trying and getting a lot of good advise. Your weather is like ours this year. 80 one day and 35 the next. I'm just sick of rain but we need it too.

I do not shoot a 7 mm-08 but as far as factory ammo is concerned I have seen some very impressive groups and more importantly, devastastion on deer from Winchester’s deer season XP line.

Tallest, I have 3, 7-08's and they like something different, my browning xbolt shoots 3 shot 1 hole groups with 120gr NBT's my S2 really likes Speer 130gr SPBT's and my Model 7 likes 140 gr Sierra SPBT's I have killed several deer with each of these combinations and they all perform great, the Sierra's are the best though IMHO. If you would like specific load data just let me know.

Tallest, I have 3, 7-08's and they like something different, my browning xbolt shoots 3 shot 1 hole groups with 120gr NBT's my S2 really likes Speer 130gr SPBT's and my Model 7 likes 140 gr Sierra SPBT's I have killed several deer with each of these combinations and they all perform great, the Sierra's are the best though IMHO. If you would like specific load data just let me know.
I would very interested to know your loads for the 130 grain Speers, and what you think of them for that matter. They seem to be a unique offering in the .284/7mm world, and I've contemplated buying some to try. For anything lighter than 130, I'll probably drop down to the .243.

I'd also like to see your load data for the 140s. I know every gun is different, but that's my current bullet of choice, and the more data I have, the better. Also, I've been thinking of getting a Rem M7 7mm-08 and putting a Boyds stock with a heft LOP on it. It seems fitting to have a 7mm-08 Remington in a Remington rifle. ;)

Hello Tallest, I shoot the 130 gr speers out of my Weatherby S2, I tried a few different powders, 44 gr of 4064 and 43 gr of Varget , they were both right in there but the Varget was just a bit tighter, pretty much just a ragged hole @ 100yds..
My model 7 Rem, likes the 140 gr Sierra boat tails over 43 gr of Varget and they do a number on deer. If you like still hunting and like a light fast handling rifle the Model 7 is right there.
I know you said you wouldnt go lighter than 130 but out of my Xbolt I shoot 120 gr nosler Ballistic tips over 44 grs of Varger,3 shots groups in 1 hole at 100 yds..Deadly on deer also..
I usually load 20 thousands off the lands.

Good info there!

I don't mind the notion of a lighter bullet. Indeed, I think the 120 grain BTs would be super comfortable and confident to shoot. But I find the Nosler Ballistic Tips to be excessively destructive on the Virginia Whitetail I shoot. The copper on them is significantly thinner than on the partitions or accubonds. But while that helps with accuracy, and yes they are very accurate, I'd like to get something that holds together a tad better.

I dont know about that Tallest, I shot a doe in SC with a 120 last fall at 135 yds
(laser rangefinder) in the neck, 1 nice little hole thru and thru..Shot a nice 8 point up here in NH, 1 shot double lung, he took off running, put another thru the lungs while he was running broadside at 40 yds or so and he piled up. He was probably dead on his feet but I had a clear shot and I didnt want to take any chances..2 nice holes about 3 inches apart thru the lungs..But as you say and I will agree, those bullets do tend to have thin skin..
On another note, I shot another doe at 150 yds in the boiler room with a 130 speer, she went about 30 yds but there was no exit and very little blood..I didnt care for that.

trying again on photo

Weatherby_zpspoja55fs.jpg

Nice room. Almost didn't notice the gun.;) My 7-08 is a Browning A-Bolt Medallion. Have 2x7 Leopold scope on it

Ladymulerider Nice rifle, is this your first 7-08? I now have 3, Model 7 Rem, Weatherby S2 walnut stock and a Browning Xbolt with thumbhole stock, killed deer with all 3 last season..

I finally got the 120 grain Barnes ttsx going. Found the rifle likes 145 Speer Hot Cor also. Strange but every load is 42 grains of imr4350

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Hi, new here, I have a youth size for the short LOP, WBY Vanguard S2, 7mm 08. It is under a Leupold 2x7x33 glass. I live in the south, will be primarily whitetail hunting. Has anyone ran one of these to say in factory ammo what they found it likes the best? Appreciate the info... Thank y'all..

Factory Ammo. I understand.

Let me break with tradition and respond to the OP. Hornady White Tail ammo. The name is a coincidence. Good price vs performance ammo. Performance being both accuracy and killing. Florida deer are very small so lighter bullets should be fine. The whitetail is 139 and that is a great general purpose load. Not a light bullet. I am confident this will get the job done. And you can take that anywhere. This line of ammo seems to shoot well in any rifle. If, you dont want to drop a few hundred bucks on testing every ammo on the shelf. I would start with this one.

The nice thing about choosing a popular round like 7mm-08 is you dont have to spend a lot of time reloading unless you enjoy that activity.

For the a recoil sensitive female shooter, there is a Hornady Custom Lite 7mm-08 with 120 gr load. I am 100% sure this is more than enough for Florida deer. I would start with the whitetail. This is another load to test if you want more like "just enough" for the job at hand.

Last edited:
Lady,

I had forgotten. When i reamed my chamber in my 7mm-08 to the improved configureation i was looking for some inexpensive ammo to shoot so i could reload those cases.
I picked up 3 boxes of PVRI Partisen ( blue box) with their 139gr. soft points.
Shot about an inch at 100 yards, so accuracy not an issue. Should do just fine for deer.
That and they were like $13 a box of 20.

Wendyj, Looks like I will have to give those 120 barnes bullets a "shot" (pun intended)..What powder and how much if you dont mind me asking, also, what rifle are you shooting it out of?

42 grains of imr 4350. BR 2 match primers. Oal 2.770. 5 shot group. They done great for me std7 mag helped me on these loads by suggesting a very slight crimp.

Back