Hellcat Reliability

I have a feeling Sig will redesign the grip in future Gens.

Carl, hmmm. I don't think so. I find the grip on the Sig P365 to be outstanding, especially with the twelve round magazines.

Well unfortunately the p365 just didn't work out for me. It is currently on its second trip back to Sig. Failure to return to battery mostly with the occasional stove pipe malfunction.

Wheel-gunner, are you sure you weren't limp-wristing your P365?

I had a failure to fire a couple months ago.

Prvi Partisan 115 g 9mm JHP...the primer was indented well enough and I have no explanation except maybe no powder charge or a defective primer? It certainly wasn't a light primer strike.

The pistol was a well proven striker weapon with nearly 1000 rounds and no malfunctions of any kind.

This is no indictment of Prvi ammo as I have found their '06 and 7.62x51 ball ammo to be some of the best in Garands and a PTR91....just saying that the OPs malfunction was probably ammo related.

Wheel-gunner, are you sure you weren't limp-wristing your P365?

Thank you for the suggestion, rather than issuing a conclusion.

Limp-wristing? Well, that was my initial thought even though I have never had the problem before. My p365 has been shot by 4 different individuals with the same results. I have had more observe me shooting it. I think it is safe to rule limp-wristing out in my case.

Classic limp-wristing.

Classic jumping to conclusions regarding a situation you are far removed from. As stated, that was the first thing I ruled out.

Hellcat has been flawless with close to 1000 rounds fired. Hopefully I can get the p365 to do the same.

Last edited:
My wife with very small hands and poor wrist strength has been able to shoot my P365XL without any issues. It's been nice since she definitely has encountered issues shooting Glocks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I mostly shoot WWB and have been buying it from WALMART for over 20 years, and only experienced a few duds, the primers had a nice strike, and this was from firing many 1000's of rds

the last dud I experienced was through a RUGER PC9 Police Carbine over 16 years ago, never had another problem, and still use WWB ammo.

Thank you for the suggestion, rather than issuing a conclusion.

Limp-wristing? Well, that was my initial thought even though I have never had the problem before. My p365 has been shot by 4 different individuals with the same results. I have had more observe me shooting it. I think it is safe to rule limp-wristing out in my case.

Classic jumping to conclusions regarding a situation you are far removed from. As stated, that was the first thing I ruled out.

Hellcat has been flawless with close to 1000 rounds fired. Hopefully I can get the p365 to do the same.
I have 500 thru my P365 with no hang ups, stove pipes or misfires. Mostly American Eagle but also Rem green box and even some Tula Steele case.
I shot both the Hellcat and Sig and the Sig felt better in my hand. Accuracy was better, felt much more comfortable so it followed me home.

The most common cause of FTE and stovepiping is limp-wristing. That is just a fact.

Just because you gave the pistol to four others has no bearing whatsoever on that fact. You can be butt hurt over it all you want but it does not change it nor was it brought it up to bruise your ego.

It is just the facts. I will say that "failure to return to battery" is a condition not a malfunction and muddies the waters to the reader trying to help you on what malfunction occurred..

It is caused by Failure to Eject, Failure to Extract, and Failure to Feed.

Two out of those three can be caused by limp wristing and when combined with stovepiping....

Well the FBI calls that a clue.

Depending on the malfunction that is causing your "failed to return to battery" it should not be too hard to figure out exactly what is going on. If the pistol is new...return it to SIG. They seem to stand by their products.

Last edited:

At the end of the day, the Hellcat is a welcome addition to the field and can only strengthen our CCW choices. We all benefit from competition in the marketplace.

I just picked up my Hellcat yesterday. I am truly impressed how they stuffed an extra 5 rounds in the mag for almost the same size as my Glock 43. The trigger doesn't seem bad, but isn't quite what my worked on Glock 43 trigger is. I have the Agency Arms trigger with the Double Diamond connector. I will see how I do with it at the practical range and decide whether or not I need to "massage" the Hellcat. Some people refuse to modify carry guns, but I believe in being able to hit your target quickly and consistently. If it is a justified shoot, then it is justified no matter the weapon. Powder River Precision already has a kit available for the Hellcat. Now to find accessories for it.

I am truly impressed how they stuffed an extra 5 rounds in the mag for almost the same size as my Glock 43.

What I find more impressing is why Glock hasn't figured out how to stuff five extra rounds in their own models.

What I find more impressing is why Glock hasn't figured out how to stuff five extra rounds in their own models.
I carry a G26 with a OE Factory G19 15r magazine everyday...:)

Point is, Glock designed the 26, 27 and 29 to be magazine compatible with those 'above' them. How many Sigs can use a sig 320 magazine?

I carry a G26 with a OE Factory G19 15r magazine everyday...:)

Point is, Glock designed the 26, 27 and 29 to be magazine compatible with those 'above' them. How many Sigs can use a sig 320 magazine?
The other SIG P320s can. It's a bit easier to ensure comparability when you only make one design in different sizes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

USNRet93, I understand that. Compatibility is nice but not at the cost of inferiority. I'm not so sure sig not upgrading their other models to accommodate high magazine capacities such as that available to P365 users is such a great thing either. As a military sidearm I would much appreciate the added capacity to my "modernized" 320 were I still an active duty US Marine.

Springfield Armory with their Hellcat are at least trying. I don't see Glock making any effort.

Edited due to identifying Hellcat as S&W made. My bad, I knew better. Thanks for the heads up, Dale. Dang fingers seem to have a mind of their own sometimes!

Last edited:
I got to take the Hellcat out to the range on Saturday and it ran flawlessly. Its nice to have a brand new gun run without hiccups. I am not quite used to the U-shaped rear sight, but I don't think it would make that big of a deal. The front sight is a night sight with a fluorescent yellow outline, making it very easy to pick up night or day.

Overall, accuracy was decent, but the trigger takes some getting used to compared to my Glock 43. I have the Agency Arms and Double Diamond connector so it is far better than the stock Glock trigger. I hope the trigger will smooth out after a few hundred more rounds or I will look into trigger kits such as Powder River Precision. I have a holster and extra mags coming in soon so I should be ready for the next practical range day. I'll update you guys then.

Back