Heavy or tough bullets?

Why do people want to use either marginal calibres or some kind of Super Magnum on game animals. Under ideal conditions most game can be taken with
a 22. By same token I have seen White Tails literally ruined with big magnum rifles. It boils down to any cartridge and rifle will take game under ideal conditions. How often do you run into ideal conditions in the field? One should use enough gun/ cartridge to do the job under less than ideal conditions.

Why do people want to use either marginal calibres or some kind of Super Magnum on game animals. Under ideal conditions most game can be taken with
a 22. By same token I have seen White Tails literally ruined with big magnum rifles. It boils down to any cartridge and rifle will take game under ideal conditions. How often do you run into ideal conditions in the field? One should use enough gun/ cartridge to do the job under less than ideal conditions.
Ok, what should be my bean field rifle for White Tails? Wouldn't want to be under or over powered.

What's marginal? What's overpowered? 100 years ago, 32-20 was entirely adequate for deer. Nowadays, 300 RUM seems to be ineffective. So, what's the answer? People try to buy better shooting skills by buying more powerful rifles. That doesn't mean a 223 is ineffective, or a RUM is better. It's the Indian, not the arrows.

Its the Indian and the arrows. Take the best shooting "Indian" in the world, give him extremely warped arrows with no fetching and see what he kills. Time is all he will kill in most cases.

Back