Heavy or tough bullets?

tmd47762

If you’re hunting at the upper end of a caliber (.223 for deer or .257 for elk) what type of bullet do you prefer? Fast but tough like the Hornady GMX or slower but heaviest soft points? I know the “on paper” differences, but what does real life experience show?

223 Rem for deer would get the Nosler 64 gr bonded solid base.

The 257 Rob would get the Nosler 120 gr partition.

Dufus said:
223 Rem for deer would get the Nosler 64 gr bonded solid base.

The 257 Rob would get the Nosler 120 gr partition.

Those bullets would be a good place to start. I also like the 55 grain TSX for deer out of the .223. While I have both a .25-06 and .250 Savage I don't have a lot of experience with a wide variety of bullets out of either. I'd also take a look at the 100 grain TSX as it would also be a good choice.

My limited understanding for the .257 Roberts is that it is not loaded to max pressure in factory loadings. I would handload to max, and use 117 grain bullets for the penetration needed for elk.

My Daughter and both Grandsons kill elk with 257 Roberts, and they use Nosler 120 grain Partitions and Barnes TSX in 115 grain. So far they have never had a bullet stay in an elk. All shots have been under 250 yards.

I have not done it, but I have now seen about 15 deer and antelope killed with 223s and the bullets have been :

Sierra 65 grain (not too good. Blow ups are common, penetration is poor)

Barnes 62 grain TSX (excellent)

Winchester 64 grain. (excellent kills, but accuracy is only about 2 MOA,
which is just fine for a 300 yard deer gun)

60 grain Nosler Partition. (excellent)

Use Nosler Partitions and don't worry. I'm taking a 25/06 elk hunting this year and it's going to be loaded with 115 grain partitions. I have little confidence in the "solid, expanding" bullets.

I'm going to try going all copper for deer and hogs this year. I really don't like the idea of my bullet shedding 1/4 to 1/3 of it's weight in meat that I want to eat.

If using a cartridge considered borderline too small for the game hunted I'd go solid copper and never look back.

Another for both heavy and tough.

I’m not a fan of Partitions. Seems they often lose their nose leaving the bottom end of the partition to continue penetration.

I’m also not a fan of using very small calibers for the job at hand.

Seems they often lose their nose leaving the bottom end of the partition to continue penetration.

That is their design.

I have seen Barnes TSX & TTSX come apart as well....loosing petals.

For 223 Rem, i'd load 60 gr Partitions to 5.56 pressures.
My 257 Roberts, 250 Savage get 115gr Berger VLD Hunting loaded to +P. ( modern bolt action on both).

heavy and soft is what I’d go with. My thoughts are based on the 243 for big deer and other medium game. The light tough and fast bullets have poor bcs, they lose their energy very quickly and once it’s gone they’re abysmal. I personally think that it’s understandable but mistaken to assume using a marginal caliber necessitates an ultra tough bullet. My approach is just to use a bigger round or be more selective about shot placement and range. I’d stick with double lung hits or other “soft” zones and use conventional heavy for caliber cup and core bullets. The only toughness criteria is that it not “splash”. In my 243, a savage 99, the 100 grain Speer boat tail soft point, a very lightly constructed bullet, is a much better choice for lung shots than the Barnes x or such. I suppose the best of both worlds is the good old nosler partition.

Like anything else, "It depends"...

I try to choose a bullet based on what I'm hunting. If I would normally be satisfied with a 'standard construction' bullet, I'll likely use the same thing even if going 'heavy for caliber'.
If I would normally be using a 'tough' bullet for the intended game animal, then the heavy bullet will likely be 'tough', as well.

Generally speaking, though, if I think I need to go 'tough' and the standard bullet weights for the cartridge seem inadequate, I'll be looking to increase the size of the hole, too.
If I think my normal .243 Win loads aren't appropriate, I'll be looking to the .270 Win or .30-06. If I think they are inadequate, then the .35 Whelen or a .444 Marlin might be the go-to. And if they still don't seem big enough, I can stuff some 430(+) gr bullets in the .475 Tremor or .480 Ruger. There's a velocity penalty, but they hit hard, penetrate well, and make big holes.

If I were using a 257 R on elk, I'd be using 100 grain Partitions unless shots could be limited to 200 yards or less.
If there's snow cover, a bullet that punches through and flies off into space will work well enough and you can follow that blood trail for however long it takes that little hole through the lungs to bleed out the animal.
On bare ground, I prefer a bullet that mushes the lungs and leaves the carcass within sight. If it does manage to exit. so much the better.

For deer. If I were to hunt with a 223. 55gr. H.P. Federal if the shot made is 100 yards or less. At such close range my shooting equipment is second to non and I'm capable/ experienced in doing deliberate neck_ head_ or spine_animal dispatches.

Although I don't own a 257 Weatherby. I do have a 1/4 bore-06 which nearly duplicates the Weatherby's performance. Unlike the usual who hunt Elk a rib shot is most often the preferred aim. I on the other-hand am a frugal hunter whom hunts for meat not antlers or horn. I won't risk a {expensive to hunt animal} front shoulder/s being reduced to blood shot hamburger or worse. Having a Bull in my scope at close range. (100yd. or less) my choice of bullet is a lead tipped Rd Nose 117gr. Back of the head or perhaps a destroyed small area of {front 1/2 of spine} would be my preferred bullets termination spot.

Back