Heart Stents

I've had stints put in three different times. Several of them.

The didn't slow down my shooting at all.

When they use to go in through the leg, the kept you in ICU until there was no chance of bleeding, but once the sent you home, you could shoot.

The last time they went in thought the back of the hand so I didn't go to ICU.

No problem with stints.............blood thinner meds are different. They don't effect shooting but I did find out those Havalon knives with changeable blades is the best tool out there for checking your blood thinner meds.

Had one put in ten years ago.

Can't comment on the rifle useage other than the greater chance of bruising. The VA put me on the stuff for a year, only to find out I was supposed to cut it off after six months.:mad:

Shoot shoot but for heaven sakes use a small caliber please for a month I don't think it a bad idea you won't loose you talent oh dear your number one I know that I wouldn't take my own advise but please I don't understand what is wrong just be careful if your ailment is life threatening please!!!!

It's easy for a Doc to say NO ! Is he a shooter ?
On another forum a thread was involved with docs who were shooters and especially DG hunting as were the other posters. The docs said normally no problem for pace makers shooting heavy recoil DG guns !!!

BLUR; Can't expound on others' comments; This comes straight from my Cardiologist's mouth.
Had a heart attack in mid-Jan. this year. After release from an 8-day stay, I asked Doc. Mitchell- ALB. Ga., if I could resume shooting with reduced loads, or .22 RF too keep in practice as I heard not to shoot for fear of dislodging the stent and having only 30% capacity at that time.
His response was to shoot all I wanted [or could stand.] He said the stent is held in place in the artery wall by "Little claws" which are extended when the stent is [ballooned] in place. Didn't hesitate to hit the bench the next day. That was 1st of Feb. Still going strong [for as long as my strength endures] with no problems.

As I said before....Can't/won't elaborate on others' comments....But having "Been There" and still no problems.....I'd say go for it. Each individual has a separate set of circumstances.. Go slow and light and work up from there.

Good luck.

WILL.

Had a stent installed in 2000 and two more in 2003 - was fully active a week after both procedures - no problems shooting.

Am just glad they got it right both times and there have been no recalls. :p

Stents

Picher:
Don't mean to be crass, but, the sled is good for a bench session, but I don't think anyone is willing/ready/able to carry the sled to their stand and set it up to hunt. [Secondly], a dead-on zero with the sled very seldom, if ever, will result in the same POA/POI in the field, as from the bench... Different set of aiming/shooting circumstances. But....... I digress.

Doc says to "worry not" about shooting after Stent Emplacement; It is totally unnecessary. The stent is in place to open the artery...will not dislodge unless in an area of the body subject to direct contact and excessive pressure, and as long as one has NO OTHER cardiac problems which may need to be addressed, there is nothing to hold one back from shooting after the stent is in place.

As I advised before.....If in any doubt, ask the Cardiologist first, and then start low and work up to whichever firearm one chooses to use. If any complications arise, see the Doc. They may be from something else entirely, and the only problem I could think of would be [if] the Doc you see is an Anti-Gunner and would advise you to not shoot, and [that] advice would be coming from somewhere other than the Medical Standpoint.

Good Luck and have fun.

WILL.

I had angioplasty on Feb 11th. Arteries too small to stent. Went home on the 12th with no restrictions. No other heart issues, but the entry site on my groin was sore a couple of weeks. No apparent danger, they used a clear bandage about 3" in diameter, with a pressure gauze over the site.
Of course I take several cardiac related meds plus large aspirin, so I can relate to the sharp knife testing my ability to clot. I do hvac, and get nicked up a lot, so I bought a trauma kit and some Israeli bandages just in case.

As far as shooting, I don't think I would go with heavy recoiling rifles for a couple of weeks. Then deal with the shoulder bruising you will get.

Good luck to all who are going through this, and take care.

I would at at least ten days to be safe. That is the longest they usually leave stitches in to allow a laceration to close over joints and similar bad spots. I assume that allows sufficient time for other minor wounds. Finishing out a month with light recoiling 22lrs and similar probably would not be a bad idea. Considering the consequences if the recoil does cause a problem, if going ten days without shooting is a significant problem for you; you might consider visiting an addiction support group :)

Back