Hearing protection.

I use the ESP. pour in ear plugs. They mold the inside of your ear for a perfict fit and they dont get uncomfortable after wearing them. they are a little spendy but worth the money.:D They start at around 75 dollars.

To me, the use of plugs is like hoping that a very loud BOOM can't penetrate any of the area on/around your ear to be 'heard' by the eardrum. This would be in spite of the plug that you've stuck in the canal.

An over-the-ear type of protection would seem to do a more adequate job.

The Peltor Tactical 6S without plugs underneath-does the job for me! And, the microphones allow a conversation with someone, without taking a chance on hearing BOOM.

Depends on what I am shooting.

For pistols only I just use muffs.

For rifles and shotguns I will wear muffs but I double up my right ear with a plug. I find that sometimes my cheek weld will lift the muff which results in zero protection.

If its cold out and Im wearing a hat/hoodie... I wear plugs without muffs. Just gotta make sure you really get a good seat on your plugs.

I use foam plugs along with a set of amplified muffs, even when outdoors. Can't be too careful with your hearing.

I already have Tinnitus, and dont want it to get worse, so I double up. Foam ear plugs (Howard Leight NRR 33) and electronic ear muffs, so I can hear the RO.

I've got a set of rubber ear plugs. I use the inner-ear headphones so I'm used to having something shoved in my ears anyway.

That being said, I've been out with my brother-in-law while he was shooting his S&W 40, 9mm and a pile of other including my 20ga. None of them bothered me. I did take one out while we were all reloading and I forgot to put it back in and I touched off my 22, that was loud by comparison.

Now, I'm not a fan of the foam ones. I found that if I had to take one of them out I could never get it back in right.

Back