Hearing Protection at home?

I don't use ear plugs of any kind. I'm not so concerned about remembering them; I just don't think I'd have time to put them on.

I don't see how they help, anyway.
Both traditional and hi-tech muffs/plugs will reduce your tactical advantage before the shot, and after. Going without, at least you have your hearing before hand. I shoot my pistols (.45 mostly*) indoors all the time without hearing protection, while eliminating vermin around the farm. Even in small rooms with concrete floors and tin walls & ceiling, the sound is no big deal. I've gotten used to it.

Several times I've taken buddies along, the sound really affected them, even outdoors. In fact, one time, I actually had to put my hands over my buddy's ears so he could continue firing, it was disturbing him so bad. It didn't bother me at all. Thus, indoors or out, I think it's more important to get accustomed to gunfire without hearing protection, rather than relying on gadgets you may not get the chance to use.

*I have also done this with my .454 Casull. That, I certainly don't recommend. However, .45 ACP, .40 S&W, and 9mm have been no problem at all.

Years ago, I remember reading about a special type of ear plug that allowed normal hearing until the application of noise at a certain level, during which a little flap (or valve)in the earplug would close. In other words, your hearing would be normal until the occurrence of a loud noise, which supposedly would activate the flap and protect the ear drum. I don't know if this ever worked well or if it's still available.

Back