Headlamps for Self Defense

RainFly, you very seriously need to get self defense training from a reputable school whose instructors are ex LEO/active LEO, and quit listening to Joe Biden (rack the gun?) and quit wearing a target illuminator.

and quit listening to Joe Biden (rack the gun?) and quit wearing a target illuminator.

That was pretty harsh. Looks like his first post and he's seeking advice. If someone asks you for directions do you punch them in the nose too?

I have one of the older Petzel units. Its nice for use if I'm camping or something similar, but I don't think its a good tool for a confrontational situation.
I got it before all the Lumen craziness, but it seems to be about 40~50 lumens. Its a bit dazzling in a campsite with everyone eyes night adjusted, but nowhere near bright enough to dazzle or disorient.
Possibly one of the new high intensity ones might do that, but the "bad guy" will know you're coming from several rooms away & that has to be a major disadvantage.

People shoot at the light. Hence the FBI light technique. Putting the light on your head might be unwise in that context ;)

kilimanjaro said:
I don't clear the house, I stand in my bedroom doorway, out of sight, and wait to see if there is in fact anyone else in the house, while protecting the entries to my bedroom and the other bedrooms at the end of the house.

If there is anyone, that's when 911 gets called and a challenge goes out.

THANK YOU, YES! LOGIC! REASON! WIN!

That said... when I was young and single I cleared my house a few times just like I see the cops on TV do it.

To kilimanjaro's scenario, I do have a light mounted on my weapon (TLR-3) if it did hit the fan.

Back