Head Shot...would you attempt it???

In my LEO training, we always do two to the upper chest, one to the head, and back to the chest. Its difficult at first, but then you get it. Once you get it standing still, practice it while moving... Training kicks in when under stress..

Ares45, if that is what you believe, that is great, but you need some work on your anatomy. I have yet to see a person described that suffered brain trauma via a bullet and still managed to function normally or at all. There have been cases of folks having bullets skirt the brain inside the cranium that were not greatly affected, but those didn't do damage to the brain. Heck, Clyde Barrow's brother had a chunk of skull knocked out of his head and had exposed brain showing. The insult apparently resulted in his need of help for a get-away, but he was able to battle law enforcement again some days later where he survived more shots, and then died several days later.

Pray tell, given your statement that,
As far as tennis ball sized brain stem I'm quite aware that it's much smaller. Just making the point that a human uses roughly 15% of his/her brain to function. Blowing away the other 85% could statisticly proove pointless.

just exactly how do you perceive of folks being able to blow away the other 85% of the brain without hurting the critical 15%?

Surely you don't think that the brain stem is what is responsible for the 15% of the brain that is used and the rest is just fluff?

Oh hey, maybe you could explain how it is that brain trauma not involving the brain stem can be so damaging to a person's ability to function or survive?

Are we fooling ourselves in that we can make shots under stress that we really can't make? That all depends on the training of the person. One thing I know for certain is that folks who don't train for difficult shots are not likely to be successful in attempt difficult shots for the first time under stress.

Probably the best recent and video-documented example of this came from the north Hollywood bank robbery. Within minutes of the first shots, it was determined that the bad guys were wearing "heavy armor" and that the officers needed to aim for the head, to make head shots. During the initial 25 minutes or so, the closest officers were at about 50 yards. The officers often shown in the intersection with civilians and bleeding were at about 75 yards from the bad guys. At the time, LAPD did not regularly train their street officers at distances over 25 yards and certainly didn't train them to make head shots with pistols at distances of 50, 75, or greater yards. After the battle, no officers landed a single head shot even though they knew they needed to his the robbers in the head to stop them.

Did adrenaline affect the officers' abilities? Probably. Of course, the fact that the officers probably had no clue as to how much drop their slugs would cover at those ranges or how to lead a moving target at those ranges, and how to aim to hit a target that was likely seen as smaller than the width of the front sight of their pistols would have figured substantially into the problem.

Once again, nobody is aiming for just the brain stem and the brain stem isn't the only vital portion of the brain.

I DO see the point. I just don't believe that 2 to the chest means an automatic transition to the head. Quite a few people are still walking around after being shot in the head and even brain. A shot in the skull may be just as fruitless as the two in the chest. If you're not aiming for immediate incapacition why take the chance on a much smaller moving target?

People are around after being shot in the skull and in the brain, but most didn't function too well at the time of the event.

Nobody said it had to be an automatic transition after 2 shots, but the claim is made that if the desired result isn't attained in two shots, then several probably won't produce the result needed for an immediate incapacitation.

Who says we would not be aiming for immediate incapacitation? Geez, if I have already shot an attacker twice in the chest and the attacker is still advancing on me, why would I NOT want immediate incapacitation of him?

You are welcome to think that people can't make CNS shots under stress. However, just because you think we can't certainly has no bearing on reality. If you can't make the shot, that is fine. You can shoot where you want.

-------------------

In regard to pelvic shots and stopping locomation, folks often don't understand the biomechanics of a pelvic failure. At least at 2 gun schools I have attended, I have been instructed to shoot the person in the hip and the instructor reaches down and taps his hip bones. What was tapped was the outer edge of the ilium which is the iliac blade. It is a source of attachment of connective tissues and providing support for your organs, but a shot there isn't all that likely to result in a collapse of the pelvis even if a chunk is broken off. That part of the pelvis isn't under the locomotor stresses that other parts are such as the pubis, ischium, or the ilium close to the acetabulum.

On the History Channel, there was a great image of an innominate (1/2 of the pelvis) recovered from one of Custer's men. It had a great big .50 cal hole through it. Because of the location and medicine of the day, it was deemed a fatal shot since the large intestine would have been involved, releasing its contents into the body and producing sepsis, if the soldier lived that long to die of sepsis, but that didn't happen. The shot was to the pelvis and the soldier probably went down, but he didn't go down because of a failure of the pelvis because the pelvis structure didn't fail.

The example given is how old ladies fall and break their hips, that is what happens when you shoot a person in the pelvis. This is not appropriate. "Old ladies" who fall and break their hips more often suffer from osteoporosis and what actually happens is that they have a bone structural failure than results in them falling. It may be that the femoral head (ball) breaks off at the neck from the shaft of the femur or that part of the acetabulum (socket) gives way and the bone punches through the medial wall or breaks through a side of the socket. The experience is hugely painful and when it happens and because of the aspect of osteoporosis the fall may cause further damage to the pelvis or femur.

So shooting below body armor or in the area of the pelvis may produce a stop and maybe produce a drop of the bad guy, but it probably won't be the result of a breaking of the pelvis. Of the pelvis isn't broken or there is not a mechanical failure of locomotion, than the bad guy may soon recover from the initial insult, get up, can continue. He may or may not survive in the long term, but in the short term further attention may need to be given to assure than he doesn't have a chance to cause more harm.

Also, shooters who go down because of locomotor damage or simply due to soft tissue insult and who are not unconscious may very well continue the battle from their immobile location on the ground. Just because a person drops does not mean they are out of the battle.

CraigJS said:
After the COM didn't work and he was bull rushing me from 15' I don't think I'd have time to do an aimed CNS shot. I'd drop my weak hand to a stop (arm extended) position, draw my gun up and back to my strong side shoulder. As he closed to aprox. 5' I'd start shooting for lower neck (above vest area), face area.. The weak side hand would be to try to hold him back enough to get at least one good shot to his face.
Sounds like a good way to shoot your weak hand.
That may not stop him, and I don't think that's quite what pax had in mind when she suggested that you might want to do something "different."

Here's a small portion of the brains functions to think about:

Traumatic brain injury is sudden physical damage to the brain. The damage may be caused by the head forcefully hitting an object such as the dashboard of a car (closed head injury) or by something passing through the skull and piercing the brain, as in a gunshot wound (penetrating head injury). The major causes of head trauma are motor vehicle accidents. Other causes include falls, sports injuries, violent crimes, and child abuse.

The physical, behavioral, or mental changes that may result from head trauma depend on the areas of the brain that are injured. Most injuries cause focal brain damage, damage confined to a small area of the brain. The focal damage is most often at the point where the head hits an object or where an object, such as a bullet, enters the brain.

In addition to focal damage, closed head injuries frequently cause diffuse brain injuries or damage to several other areas of the brain. The diffuse damage occurs when the impact of the injury causes the brain to move back and forth against the inside of the bony skull. The frontal and temporal lobes of the brain, the major speech and language areas, often receive the most damage in this way because they sit in pockets of the skull that allow more room for the brain to shift and sustain injury. Because these major speech and language areas often receive damage, communication difficulties frequently occur following closed head injuries. Other problems may include voice, swallowing, walking, balance, and coordination difficulties, as well as changes in the ability to smell and in memory and cognitive (or thinking) skills.

So, it may not be only the damage of the bullet but other factors which will allow for either a follow up shot, or to get the heck out of dodge.

One of the things that interested me was the shifting of the brain within the skull, which could make the problem of coordination difficulties.

That's good enough for me :).

2 COM and 1 to Brain. It works for me, so I will continue to practice.

Wayne

*is it just me or is The Transberian Orchestra good stuff :)

two to stop'em one to drop'em

I believe the 2 and 1 is a great meathod for shooter because it easily practiced. I feel it would work best with larger cals. 2 45acps will stop some body quicker then a 9mm or a hot 40s&w. this allows you to have a more accurate head shot.

Tim,
If someone is closing on me with two to the COM from 15' or less, and I'm in grave danger of being killed,yes, my left hand is expendable if need be...

As far as tennis ball sized brain stem I'm quite aware that it's much smaller. Just making the point that a human uses roughly 15% of his/her brain to function. Blowing away the other 85% could statisticly proove pointless.

This is not correct. Your brain stem just keeps your heart beating and you breathing. If that was the only thing functional, you aren't doing much.

There are many areas in the subcortical and cortical regions that if destroyed would take you out of the fight.

The bit that we only use 10% of our brains is very old nonsense.

Whole lotta chest-thumpin'...

:rolleyes:

budd.jpg

I train shooting IDPA practice targets. I shoot 2 rounds COM, 1 head shot, without pause. I'd like to think muscle-memory would make that so in a gunfight, but having never been in one...

Personally, I doubt I'd have the presence of mind to rationalize how many COM shots without effect would warrant a head shot - under duress, fearing for my life, I don't want to take the chance. Thus training with the 2+1 shooting.

Yes and No and why

The question is, if you find yourself in a situation where you have already engaged the BG with two shots COM and he continues to close rapidly, say from 15 feet, would you attempt a head shot next? In other words would you follow the saying, "two to the chest and one to the head" or would you continue to fire COM? Why or why not?

Yes. And no.

I' automaticly fire up to six shots COM as a reflex on defense distances. Six shots leave my Pistol very quickly (including a drawing, step around a barricade and applying to hits on each of three different targets 7-9yds away: 2,19 sec).
As soon as I realize that either (i) up to 6 shots COM didn't work or (ii) BG is close enough to apply a CNS shot, I'd go for the CNS.

Reasons:
1. If COM doesn't work, I don't trust the pelvis because I don't trust any handgun to reliably shatter that big bone to pieces. A friend of mine finished a ski downhill with his pelvis proken in two pieces. In pain, but he did.

2. If the BG comes closer you only have to wait the (split-)seconds until he is close enough for that shot to the upper lip. If you hit there, he collapses immediately. 15feet are three secons only. Check it out yourself. Aim at a small point and count 21 - 22 - 23. I guess at 22.5 you will have a well placed CNS shot if the guy comes at you.

3. If up to 6 shots COM didn't stop him, you have no choice anyway.

4. I even think that if a skull hit missing the brainstem doesn't necessarily kill, it is very likely to stop the attacker because it at least moves and influences his head. Cirillo wrote an interesting chapter on that. Hi hit a guy in the head three times with a .38. The guy collapsed. But to the scary suprise of Cirillo he got up minutes later with a bad headache. None of these .38 bullets penetrated that guys massive skull. But the skull-hits at least brought him out of balance.

So: Yes, CNS shots, but No: only after approx 6 COM shots.

This whole premise is far-fetched. If a guy has a bullet-resistant vest on, he's pretty sure to also have a firearm. If he has a firearm, he's not going to charge someone shooting at him. He's a criminal and not wanting to die. He'll move on to easier targets - especially if you've already hit him COM multiple times. One of my drill sergeants in the army had been shot in the chest with a 9mm at point blank range while wearing his body armor. He said it felt like getting hit in the chest with a baseball bat. Unless someone's on meth or something similar, they're not going to continue charging after you put a couple shots center mass. So we should all train religiously for those all-so-frequent criminals armed with knives, strung out on meth, wearing bullet-resistant vests, and charging us after multiple hits COM with a primary self-defense pistol? Sure. :rolleyes:

There's my disclaimer. I think this thread is more than a bit silly. But yes, after a couple center mass hits, regardless of scenario, if the threat is still a threat, I'm shooting for the head. They'll probably be almost pistol-under-the-chin close by then most likely anyway.

i wouldn't attempt a headshot with a handgun and 3-dot sights. especially not if there was anything else around i don't want to hit. i know i can hit COM consistently, i'll plug 'til i'm empty and hope a good pistol whip will finish the job if it gets that close. that said, i know people very capable of consistently making 10-yard-plus brainshots, so i wouldn't expect my decision to apply to anyone else on this board. with a long gun i might if i had to, or if i had a laser sight up.

If getting hit in the "vest" with a 9mm slug is like getting hit by a baseball bat, wonder how many would want to get hit 6 or more times with either. A close range hit from a good handgun caliber (pick your favorite here) will certainly hurt more than one from 30-50 meters.

I have a target (B-27) attached to my garage refrigerator I kept from a practice session. It has 25 holes in it. Shot my carry loads 12+1 and my reload mag in 15 seconds at 25ft. The holes are centered and start about the diaphragm. Last hole is in center of throat. The group is what you might call a 2.5" X 10". This is just how they group when I shoot rapid fire.

For me, I will start at COM and hope enough hits make the BG change his mind at the very least. Maybe enough rounds will climb and hit that essential part of the brain.

Para Bellum said,
2. If the BG comes closer you only have to wait the (split-)seconds until he is close enough for that shot to the upper lip. If you hit there, he collapses immediately

Maybe. For an upper lip shot, you are assuming a shot that is lined up left and right to pass straight through to the back and that the guy is facing the gun straight on for this to happen. If off to an angle, the round ends up doing a lot of dental damage, palatte damage, etc. but can be off to the side of the stem or spinal cord.

See the image. If you are shooting with a level gun at the person's upper lip, the round will likely pass beneath the brain. If your shot is at a downward angle to the upper lip, it will pass beneath the brain. Heck, a nose shot if fired at a downward angle can still miss the brain and the eyes/nose triangle is often given as the ideal shot location on the head.

Shooting somebody in the upper lip will not necessarily cause the person to collapse immediately. It ain't the lip that needs to be hit.

swmike said,
If getting hit in the "vest" with a 9mm slug is like getting hit by a baseball bat, wonder how many would want to get hit 6 or more times with either. A close range hit from a good handgun caliber (pick your favorite here) will certainly hurt more than one from 30-50 meters.

Once again, this is one of those things that isn't necessarily true. Impacts on vests are more akin to something like being hit by a baseball more so than a baseball bat. Plus, it may not even be that painful of a strike or debilitating. If you ever got a chance to read the Kevlar Saves booklet by Second Chance, in the 2000 or cases they had documented. a lot included descriptions of the officers not knowing they were shot, even from larger calibers and at close range. Then again, some suffered organ damage when hit on the vest but below the ribs. Many suffered some significant bruising. The results are quite variable depending on the person, caliber, distance, and type of ballistic protection. Not all level IIIa vests are the same when it comes to absorbing and dispersing the energy althought all will stop the same rounds. Some of the heavier vests absorb and disperse the energy better than the lightweight thin vests. And if you have one of the really nifty lightweight and thin zylon vests, it is almost like getting shot without a vest on because the bullet just goes right through...sometimes.

At home the answer is 12 ga. "00"

When I'm at home my 12 ga. pump is in the room I'm in. I believe that two shots to the COM from 15' will stop most people.

On the street, I'll empty my .38 into the COM and then RUUUNNNN!

Chuck

baseballs and assailiants on "speed"

The guy who stabbed my teammate several times in the head until the folding knife fortunately broke was on speed. You can't stop a young strong guy wielding a knife on speed with baseballs or COM shots. Even if you hit the heart he has 15 Seconds to go. And thats a long time. Count to 15 and shiver. A CNS-hit is the only way to stop such an attack.

Would I attempt it?

With a handgun, probably not. That's just for the time being. It will depend on how good I become at shooting, in the long run. I think I need to improve, because...

Weeg said:
Bear in mind an in-shape person can cover 15 feet in under two seconds...
And so can some zombies. And you know they're going to need a headshot or two. If you want to save ammo. You know, in a post-apocalyptic world and such, where all the ammo has already been looted.

...Well, that went to kind of a weird place.

Back